|Honorary Winners||Rin Kaiho|
|Sponsors||Three Newspaper Companies|
|Prize money||14 million Yen ($122,000 USD)|
The event is held annually, and has run continuously since its inauguration in 1975.
Tengen competition (天元戦)
It has the same format as the other tournaments. There is a preliminary tournament, which is single knockout, where the winner faces the holder in a best-of-five match.
Before the 6th Tengen, the format was different. Instead of the title holder waiting for a challenger, it would be the two Go players left from the single knockout tournament who then played a best-of-five match to determine the holder.
- The first player to win the competition twice was Kato Masao, in the 7th Tengen. However, in 1999, Kobayashi Koichi reached a record 5 wins.
- "Tengen tournament". GoBase. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- Full tournament grid since the 33rd edition
- Full tournament results since the 25th edition
- Full tournament results and game records