||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (January 2012)|
|— city —|
|Elevation||143 m (469 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Tenkasi (Tamil: தென்காசி) is one of the largest municipalities in the Tirunelveli district of Tamil Nadu, India. It is located in the foothills of the Western Ghats near the Courtallam Waterfalls.Tenkasi is famous for its saaral (சாரல் drizzling). Every year from May–August, people and tourists enjoy the saaral in Tenkasi.The main tourist attraction of Tenkasi is Courtallam, with exotic waterfalls and healing spas.Tenkasi is at the footsteps of Thirikooda Malai (Thiri koodal in Tamil means the convergence of three mountains) - a picturesque place.
Tenkasi has two bus terminal and a railway station. There are daily trains such as the Pothigai Express from Chennai(Madras) to Shencottah (Sengottai) and a passenger train from Madurai to [[Shencottah]Daily three times and Shencottah to Tirunelveli two times have operating service up & town]. People of Tenkasi have been consistently demanding for overnight train to Coimbatore via Dindigul but Southern Railways has neglected this demand for more than 8 years. A big flyover is being built between the old bus terminal and the new bus terminal because of the huge traffic caused due to crossing of trains.
The broad gauge conversion work is completed on the Shencottah Tiruchendur stretch ( Via Tenkasi Junction, Ambasamudram, Tirunelveli)Last year (2012). Shencottah Punalur (Kerala)Kollam gauge conversion work is undertaken by the Southern Railway and it is expected to complete by 2014.
By Road only reach courtallam every 5 minutes gap Bus operating to courtallam from Tenkasi.
Where ever you go by Bus ( Govt Buses & Private Buses Including Volvo buses, Semi Sleeper buses) to All place & Location ( Tamilnadu & Kerala )
As of 2001[update] India census, Tenkasi had a population of 62,828. Males constitute 49% of the population and females 51%. The average literacy rate is 74%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy i.e. population is under 6 years of age.
In Tenkasi, there are two bus stations, the Old and New Bus Stand, and two Railway Stations, Tenkasi Junction and Kezhapuliur Railways station.
Tenkasi is a highly populated area with Hindus & Muslims as a majority followed by And some Christians. Though people live in peace with each other, there have been isolated instances of religious tension in the past.
Cottage industries 
There are many cottage industries in Tenkasi. Gingelly oil mills, coconut oil mills, fiber mills, and handloom industry are also located here.
- Current MLA of the Tenkasi constituency is famous Actor and politician Sarath Kumar.
- Current ADMK minister P. Chendur Pandian's native place is Shencottah,which is very near to Tenkasi.
- Former law minister Mr.E.Subbiah's native village Ayiraperi is located very near to Tenkasi.He has been elected as a MLA from Ambasamudram constituency.
Cities Near To Tenkasi 
Residential localities 
With an ever-growing population, the town has been expanded to include new residential localities:
- Chennalthaputhu Kulam
- Keelapalayam Street
- Valliammal Puram
- NGO Colony
- Sambavar Vadagarai
- Parvathipuram - KUDIYIRUPPU
- Subramaniapuram village
- Mela pattakurichi
- Kela pattakurichi
- Pullukkattu Valasai
- Min Nagar
- Vanchi Nagar
- Sakthi Nagar
- Kalidhasan Nagar
- K R nagar
- Alagga Puram
- Ayya Puram
- KALANGATHA KANDI
Tenkasi is a place where most of the people are agriculturists and their commercial activity is much related to agriculture and some others in the field of saw mills.Tenkasi is the gateway of Tamil Nadu to southern townships of Kerala. Buses to Pathanamthitta, Kollam and Thiruvananthapuram are operated from here.Tourism is also a main boost to the economic activity of Tenkasi. Tenkasi Rajagopuram and Courtallam are the main destinations for the tourists. ( ALAGAPPA PURAM), (AYYA PURAM) kalangatha kandi, thiruchitrambalam,
Tenkasi (South Kasi) is famou for its Ulagamman Temple and its Shiva Temple. The Ulagamman temple was built by Parakrama Pandian, but was shattered by lightning. In the 1990s, the temple was restored with much financial assistance of Sivanthi Adithan and others, and it was given a fresh coat of paint again in 2006 by the same philanthropists. However, the first few feet from the ground has not been painted as that part appears to have survived the lightning. The gopuram or the entry gateway remains among the highest in southern Tamil Nadu.And it is the second highest gopuram in Tamil nadu. The main deity here is Kasi Viswanathar (Shiva). This temple has three Sannidhis [a unique aspect] - Sivan, Amman and Murugan Sannidhis. This temple has beautiful sculptures and also has musical stone pillars, that emit notes of different pitch when tapped with fingers. The entrance is really grand, with heavy steps. One could view the majestic Temple Gopuram even while entering the town. The Gopuram of the temple welcomes pilgrims with a pleasant cool breeze straight from the nearby Thirikooda Malai.
Tenkasi has the other magnificent Kulasekaranathar Temple, which has been in a closed state for ages. There is also a temple pond in middle of the town, adjoining the Kannimaramman Temple. There are a row of houses along the Kannimariamman Temple, famous among them being the Justice and Advocate villas.
Anggalap Parameshwari Temple is in Malayan Street and it is famous for 10 days festival, with Sivarathiri and Alaghu. Esakki Amman Kovil is also located in Malayan street, sri pagavathi amman kovil kalangatha kandi. It is a famous temple
Restaurants & lodges & Bakery 
- Sri krishna tourist home
- Akshya restaurant(formerly Thavamani hotel)
- Arvind restaurant
- Saral Resort
- Esakki Highway Resort
- Monkey Restaurant
- Chellappa Hotel
- Kings Restaurant (Lodging)
- New Iyengar's Bakery
- Krishna's Bakery
- Vinayaga Tiffin center(dosha corner,kerrai dosha kadai)
These are the familiar places for tourists who are coming to the kutralam falls
There are cinema halls for entertainment.Bhagyalakshmi groups run 6 theatres in Tenkasi including three with A/C.Some are upgraded with QUBE system.
- PSS multiplex Screen 1,Screen 2 & Screen 3.
Tenkasi is the main shopping & entertainment hub for the villages around tenkasi and for the tourists coming for courtallam falls in season. The main shopping items available here are textiles, building materials, jewels, groceries, vegetables, etc. The biggest & popular textile showroom in tenkasi is Bombay Stores, Haji Mustafa, K S A emporium, Fores collections,etc... The popular jewellery showroom in tenkasi Thangamayil jewellers, Haji mustafa jewellers, GOWRI jewellers,etc..And one of the Popular grocery shop is A.S.Nallaperumal sons which is in swamy sannathi bazzar. Students Book Center is a well respected book sellers who are in business for over 20 years and they have retail counters in Tenkasi, Ambasamudram & Puliyangudi. tirunelveli's mega foot wear shop also in tenkasi which name is WALKER foot wear...
Tenkasi also boast of many well reputed schools. There are good number of schools in Tenkasi and Courtallam.
- T.P.S.Govt.Hr.Sec.School, Pavoorchathram
- Hilton Matriculation Higher Secondary School,Old Courtallam.
- BHARAT MONTICHERY SCHOOL ,Ilanji, Tenkasi
- ICI Govt Boys Hr Sec School,Tenkasi.
- St.Micheals Girls Higher secondary School
- Thirumathi Manjammal Girls Hr Sec School
- Sri Parasakthi Vidhyalaya
- AG Matriculation Hr sec school
- CMS Mac Whitter Middle School
- Ponnambalam Middle School
- Kalaivani Vidyalaya, Melagaram
- Nehru Nursery and Primary School
- Nehru Higher Secondary School
- Mela Muttharamman Primary School
- Surya Nursery and Primary School
- Thomson Primary School
- Kattu Bava high School
- M.K.V. Kandasamy Nadar Matric School
- A G Matriculation School
- Emmanuel Matriculation Higher Sec School, Melagaram
- Seventh Day Adventist Matriculation School
- R C High school
- Tiruvalluvar Primary school
- Hameediya school
- Musthabia school
- Oxford metriculation school
- Milton Nursery And Primary School
- Deva Nursery And Primary School
- subash matriculation higher secondary school
- Hindu primary school(Keezhapuliyoor)
- Hindu Higher Secondary School
- Government Higher secondary school,Pullukkattuvalasai
- Government Higher secondary school,melagaram
- Ramaswamy higher secondary school ilanji.
- Subash matriculation School, Tenkasi
- J.P. College of Engineering,Ayikudy,Tenkasi
- J.P. college of arts and science,Tenkasi
- Sri Ram Nallamani Yadava College of Education, Tenkasi
- Al - Hidhaya Women's Teacher Training Institute, Tenkasi
- Arulmigu Senthil Andavar Polytechnic College, Tenkasi
- S. Chattanatha Karayalar College of Pharmacy, Tenkasi
- Sri Parasakthi College for Women, Courtrallam
- MSPVL Polytechnic College, Pavoorchatram
- T.D.T.A.D.S. Daniel Rajammal College of Education for women, Ilanji
Notable residents 
- Politician S. Peter Alphonse ex-Member of the Legislative Assembly. He was elected to Tamil Nadu legislative assembly twice from Tenkasi constituency in 1989 and 1991 elections as an Indian National Congress candidate from Kadayanallur constituency in 2006 election
- Politician P. Chendur Pandian minister in Tamil nadu assembly residence is located in Shencottah very near to Tenkasi.
Salaman papaiah native is sampavar vadakarai,nearest to surandai. Film Actor Sarathkumar is MLA.
Religious Institutions 
- Tenkasi has 18 Jummah Masjids in different location including Masjid Rahman and Masjid Thowqeeth (run by JAQH - Jamiyathu Ahlil Quran val Hadeed - movement for follower of Quran & Sunnah) which is conducting lot of social welfare program such, Anti- interest movement, Anti-dowry conference, education aids and awareness, free medical camps etc...JAQH islamic organisation which has been doing mainly anti worshiping burial...actually most of the tenkasi occupied by hindus even little equally muslims also in well population
- There are many churches in Tenkasi. The Most popular church among them of people's choice is St. Michael’s Church which is considered one of the most Sacred places in South India. Christianity was already there in the 17th Century. It is mentioned in the annual Letters of 1662-1665. Fr.Antony De Proenca in 1662 and Fr. Balthazar De Costa in 1663 preached there the Gospel. There was belief among the people about the angels apparition. People possessed by Evil Spirit, many other disorder get cured. People of all religion come here for worship Pope Pius X has came and worship in this church will have 40 days.
- In the town of Polegam, the chief town of the Southern Province, and Adi-Dravida called Valente, equally Valiant by name and faith, converted a yogi who at baptism took the name of Rayappan. Now here is what happened to Rayappan still a in the town of Tenkasi.. and Assemblies of God Church, the Roman Catholic Church which is located near the Tenkasi Depot and a number of Protestant churches all around the town.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Tenkasi
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Sri Parasakthi College for Women - Home Page
- "List of Parliamentary and Assembly Constituencies". Tamil Nadu. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-10-13.
Tenkasi is a town located in the foothills of the Western Ghats near the Courtallam Waterfalls, close to the Tamil Nadu - Kerala border in Tirunelveli District, Images of Tenkasi can be viewed at http://www.flickr.com/photos/59865572@N00/sets/72157627474577956/
See also