|Directed by||Aaron Woodley|
|Produced by||Lee Daniels|
|Written by||Russell Schaumberg|
|Music by||Mariah Carey
|Edited by||Steve Edwards|
|Lee Daniels Entertainment|
|Distributed by||Vivendi Entertainment|
|Release date(s)||April 26, 2008 (Tribeca Film Festival)
December 5–11, 2008 (Tennessee Screening Laemmle's Music Hall 3 Beverly Hills, CA)
June 5, 2009 (Theaters)
January 26, 2010 (DVD)
|Running time||99 minutes|
Two brothers, Ellis (Ethan Peck) and Carter (Adam Rothenberg), embark on a journey from New Mexico to find their estranged father in the hopes of saving Ellis, who has been diagnosed with terminal leukemia. Along the way while in Texas, they meet Krystal (Mariah Carey), an aspiring singer, who flees from her controlling husband, Frank (Lance Reddick), to join them on their journey.
- Ethan Peck as Ellis
- Adam Rothenberg as Carter
- Mariah Carey as Krystal
- Lance Reddick as Frank
- Michelle Harris as Karen
- Bill Sage as Roy
- Melissa Benoist as Laurel
Mariah Carey co-wrote "Right to Dream" with Willie Nelson and performed it with Nelson's harmonica player, Mickey Raphael, for the movie's soundtrack. "It's not really country," says Nelson, "It's more Mariah."
Release and reception
Critical response was generally mixed, with Metacritic calculating an average rating of 42% based on 8 reviews. Based on 21 reviews collected by Rotten Tomatoes, it had an average rating of 33% with an average score of 4.5/10. A Hollywood Reporter said that the pacing is off and that the movie meanders until it reaches its unexpectedly powerful conclusion. Most of the critics praised Mariah Carey's performance, describing it as "emotional" and "effective". The music behind the film, especially the Mariah Carey written song "Right To Dream" received acclaim as well, and was even considered by notable critics as a contender for an Academy Award.
The DVD, initially scheduled for release on September 1, 2009, has been pushed back to January 26, 2010 according to the film's official promotional site.
- Tennessee (2009) - Box Office Mojo
- V V S Films takes on Tennessee.
- Vivendi off to 'Tennessee' - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety
- [dead link]
- Official release plot
- Willie Nelson made Mariah Carey's dream come true
- Mariahcarey.com news.news
- indieWIRE: TRIBECA '08 | Tribeca Unveils Discovery, Midnight Slates for '08 Fest[dead link]
- Theatrical Movie Schedule Additions and Changes
- Tennessee Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More at Metacritic
- Tennessee - Rotten Tomatoes
- Mariah Carey surprisingly effective in Tennessee | Entertainment | Film | Reuters
- Tennessee at the Internet Movie Database
- Tennessee at Rotten Tomatoes
- Tennessee at AllMovie
- Tennessee at Box Office Mojo