Tennessee Ridge, Tennessee
|Tennessee Ridge, Tennessee|
Location in the state of Tennessee
|Incorporated (town)||March 5, 1960|
|• Mayor||Stony Odom (I) |
|• Total||3.71 sq mi (9.61 km2)|
|• Land||3.71 sq mi (9.61 km2)|
|• Water||0.01 sq mi (0.03 km2)|
|Elevation||742 ft (226 m)|
|• Density||360.3/sq mi (139.2/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1304045|
Tennessee Ridge is located at , at an elevation of 742 feet above sea level.(36.320797, -87.763012)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 3.7 square miles (9.6 km²), of which 3.7 square miles (9.6 km²) is land and 0.27% is water.
Major roads and highways
The ZIP code used in the Tennessee Ridge area is 37178.
Tennessee Ridge uses the area code 931.
- Board of Commissioners, Mayor & Vice Mayor meets the first Monday of the month at 6:00 p.m. at Tennessee Ridge Elementary School.
- Town Mayor: Stony Odom
- Vice-Mayor: Ann Dew
- Town Recorder: Judge Woodrow Adams
- Town Treasurer: Nancy Cobb
- Town Manager: Kenneth Dunavant
- Commissioners: Tim Alsobrooks, Ray Bradley, and Rebecca Hill
Public safety and utilities
- Fire Chief: Spencer Bryant
- Public Works Director & Water Supt.: Jerry Bryant
- Utility Accounts: Leslie Rucker
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,334 people, 533 households, and 412 families residing in the town. The population density was 360.3 people per square mile (139.2/km²). There were 573 housing units at an average density of 154.7 per square mile (59.8/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 98.80% White, 0.22% African American, 0.15% Asian, 0.30% Pacific Islander, 0.37% from other races, and 0.15% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.05% of the population.
There were 533 households out of which 29.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.5% were married couples living together, 10.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.7% were non-families. 20.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 2.82.
In the town the population was spread out with 23.1% under the age of 18, 6.3% from 18 to 24, 25.9% from 25 to 44, 26.0% from 45 to 64, and 18.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 95.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.1 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $33,029, and the median income for a family was $35,880. Males had a median income of $28,833 versus $24,659 for females. The per capita income for the town was $14,460. About 8.2% of families and 11.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.5% of those under age 18 and 7.7% of those age 65 or over.
Public primary/middle schools
- Tennessee Ridge Elementary School - (Students: 456; Location: 135 School Street; Grades: KG - 05)
- "City of TN Ridge Offices & Commisoners". Houston County Chamber of Commerce. Retrieved July 6, 2007.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing: Decennial Censuses". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions Datasets: Subcounty Resident Population Estimates: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Population Estimates. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 11 December 2013.