In mathematics, tensor calculus or tensor analysis is an advanced extension of vector calculus to more general mathematical objects called tensor fields (tensors which change throughout space and with time).
Tensor calculus has many real-life applications in physics and engineering, including stress analysis, continuum mechanics, electromagnetism (see mathematical descriptions of the electromagnetic field), and general relativity (see mathematics of general relativity).
- Vector analysis
- Matrix calculus
- Ricci calculus
- Tensors in curvilinear coordinates
- Multilinear subspace learning
- Dimitrienko, Yuriy (2002). Tensor Analysis and Nonlinear Tensor Functions. Kluwer Academic Publishers (Springer). ISBN 1-4020-1015-X.
- J.R. Tyldesley (1973). An introduction to Tensor Analysis: For Engineers and Applied Scientists. Longman. ISBN 0-582-44355-5.
- D.C. Kay (1988). Tensor Calculus. Schaum’s Outlines, McGraw Hill (USA). ISBN 0-07-033484-6.
|This mathematics-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|