Location of Tequesta in Palm Beach County, Florida
|• Mayor||Thomas Paterno|
|• Total||2.2 sq mi (5.7 km2)|
|• Land||1.7 sq mi (4.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1.2 km2)|
|Elevation||10 ft (3 m)|
|• Density||3,013.9/sq mi (1,163.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0302676|
Tequesta is an incorporated village in Palm Beach County, Florida, United States. The population was 5,629 at the 2010 Census. It is the northernmost municipality in the South Florida metropolitan area, which in 2010 had a total population of 5,564,635 according to the U.S. Census.
The Village of Tequesta is located at (26.960867, -80.096620).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 2.2 square miles (5.7 km²), of which 1.8 square miles (4.5 km²) is land and 0.5 square mile (1.2 km²) (20.81%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,273 people, 2,344 households, and 1,521 families residing in the village. The population density was 3,013.9 inhabitants per square mile (1,163.4/km²). There were 2,834 housing units at an average density of 1,619.8 per square mile (625.3/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 97.97% White (95.8% were Non-Hispanic White,) 0.47% African American, 0.09% Native American, 0.70% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.13% from other races, and 0.61% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.43% of the population.
There were 2,344 households out of which 22.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.7% were married couples living together, 7.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.1% were non-families. 29.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.22 and the average family size was 2.75.
In the village the population was spread out with 19.1% under the age of 18, 4.0% from 18 to 24, 22.9% from 25 to 44, 27.1% from 45 to 64, and 26.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 48 years. For every 100 females there were 89.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 83.3 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $58,825, and the median income for a family was $72,683. Males had a median income of $51,563 versus $31,855 for females. The per capita income for the village was $34,974. About 1.6% of families and 3.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including none of those under age 18 and 6.8% of those age 65 or over.
- Burt Reynolds - actor
- Joe Namath - Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback
- Keith Hernandez - Major League Baseball player, 1979 MVP
- Tom Rooney - Representative for Florida's 17th congressional district
- Ryan Berube - Olympic gold medalist, 1996 4x200m freestyle
- Mark Calcavecchia - PGA Tour golfer
- Steve Marino - PGA Tour golfer
- Jo Ann Pflug - Film and TV actress
- Charles P. Martyn
- Christ the King Evangelical Lutheran Church
- St Jude Catholic Church
- First Presbyterian Church of Tequesta-Jupiter
- The Church of the Good Shepherd
- Jupiter-Tequesta Church of Christ
- Tequesta's First Baptist Church
The Village of Tequesta has one private Christian elementary school: Good Shepherd Episcopal School (K-5); and two Christian preschools: Christ the King Lutheran Preschool, and First Presbyterian Preschool. Residents living in the Village of Tequesta who wish to attend public school in Palm Beach County are zoned for schools in the town of Jupiter, including Limestone Creek Elementary, Jupiter Elementary, Jupiter Middle School, and Jupiter Community High School. Those who live in Martin County are zoned for Hobe Sound Elementary, Murray Middle School, and South Fork High School.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Demographics of Tequesta, FL". MuniNetGuide.com. Retrieved 2007-11-12.