|Traded as||NYSE: TDC
S&P 500 Component
|Headquarters||Miami Township, Ohio|
|Key people||Michael F. Koehler, President and CEO|
|Products||Integrated Data Warehouse Hardware and Software, Professional Services, Customer Services|
|Employees||10,200 (January 2014)|
Teradata Corporation is an American computer company that sells analytic data platforms, applications and related services. Its products are meant to consolidate data from different sources and make the data available for analysis. Formerly a division of NCR Corporation, Teradata was incorporated in 1979 and separated from NCR in October 2007. Michael Koehler became president and CEO of Teradata after its 2007 spin off from NCR. Teradata's Applications business is led by Darryl McDonald, and the corporate headquarters is located in Miamisburg, Ohio.
Teradata is an enterprise software company that develops and sells a relational database management system (RDBMS) with the same name. Teradata is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) NYSE under the stock symbol TDC.
The Teradata product is referred to as a "data warehouse system" and stores and manages data. The data warehouses use a "shared nothing" architecture which means that each server node has its own memory and processing power. Adding more servers and nodes increases the amount of data that can be stored. The database software sits on top of the servers and spreads the workload among them. Teradata sells applications and software to process different types of data. In 2010, Teradata added text analytics to track unstructured data, such as word processor documents, and semi-structured data, such as spreadsheets.
Teradata's product can be used for business analysis. Data warehouses can track company data, such as sales, customer preferences, product placement, etc.
Teradata has a supplier diversity program that designates a minimum of 3 to 5% of spending on minority, women, veteran, or small business vendors.
In 2013, the Ethisphere Institute named Teradata as one of the "World's Most Ethical Companies."
Timeline information taken from Teradata company history unless otherwise cited.
- 1976–1979: concept of Teradata grows from research at California Institute of Technology (Caltech) and from the discussions of Citibank's advanced technology group.
- Incorporated in 1979 in Brentwood, CA by Dr. Jack E. Shemer, Dr. Philip M. Neches, Walter E. Muir, Jerold R. Modes, William P. Worth, and Carroll Reed.
- 1980: Enough funding for a research and development team.
- 1983: First beta system shipped to Wells Fargo Bank.
- 1984: Teradata releases the world's first parallel data warehouses and data marts.
- 1986: Fortune Magazine names Teradata "Product of the Year."
- 1987: Teradata initial public offering in August
- 1989: Teradata partners with NCR to build new database computers.
- September 1991: AT&T Corporation acquires NCR.
- December 1991: NCR announces acquisition of Teradata.
- 1992: Teradata creates the first system over 1 terabyte, which goes live at Wal-Mart.
- 1994: Gartner names Teradata the "Leader in Commercial Parallel Processing."
- 1995: IDC consulting group names Teradata number one in massively parallel processing in Computerworld Magazine.
- 1996: A Teradata database becomes the world's largest database at 11 terabytes.
- 1997: NCR becomes independent from AT&T.
- 1997: Teradata customer creates world's largest production database at 24 terabytes.
- 1998: Teradata ported to Microsoft Windows NT.
- 1999: Teradata customer has world's largest database with 130 terabytes.On November 4, 1999, Survey.com announced that NCR's Teradata product received the highest ranking overall in a survey of data warehouse implementers.
- 2000: NCR acquires Ceres Integrated Solutions and reconfigures their customer relationship management software into Teradata CRM.
- 2000: NCR acquired Stirling Douglas Group and its demand chain management software.
- 2002: Teradata Warehouse 7.0 was announced.
- 2003: More than 120 companies migrate from Oracle Corporation to Teradata after Oracle-to-Teradata migration program.
- 2003: Teradata University is created. Nearly 170 universities in 27 countries included in network.
- 2004: Teradata creates partnerships with SAP and Siebel Systems, Inc.
- 2005: Teradata launches Teradata Warehouse 8.1.
- 2005: Teradata acquires DecisionPoint software and rebrands it as Teradata Decision Experts.
- 2005: Teradata adds Linux as an operating system choice for enterprise-class data warehouses.
- 2006: Teradata launches Enterprise Master Data Management Solution.
- 2006: Microsoft and Teradata collaborate on business intelligence application.
- 2007: NCR announces that NCR and Teradata will separate into two independent businesses.
- 2007: Intelligent Enterprise magazine names Teradata the best global data warehouse-business intelligence appliance vendor.
- 2007: Teradata partners with DFA Capital Management, Inc.
- 2007: Agilent Technologies and Teradata established the first partnership between a data warehouse company and an instrument measurement company in order to integrate network and customer data for telecommunications industry.
- 2007: Teradata University network consists of 850 universities in 70 countries.
- 2007: On Oct 1, Teradata completes spin-off from NCR and is traded as its own stock. Mike Koehler becomes the CEO of Teradata.
- 2007: Teradata launches Teradata 12
- 2007: Teradata announces partnership with SAS involving further technical integration of their respective products and coordinated marketing, sales, and services activities.
- 2008: Teradata acquires Claraview.
- 2008: Teradata Purpose Built Platform Family launches.
- 2008: Teradata Petabyte Power Players announced: a group of five Teradata customers with data warehouse environments exceeding one petabyte.
- 2008: Teradata Labs becomes the first to unveil a working prototype demonstrating the innovative use of solid state disk (SSD) drives in a data warehouse environment at the 2008 Teradata PARTNERS User Group Conference & Expo.
- 2008: Teradata Accelerate launches
- 2009: Forrester Research ranks Teradata as number 1 amongst enterprise data warehousing.
- 2009: Teradata announces that database administrators can now rewind Teradata Viewpoint monitoring applications and portlets to check database activity or performance at a specific point in time.
- 2009: Teradata ranked among BusinessWeek’s “InfoTech 100," the world’s best-performing tech companies” and Fortune’s 1000.
- 2009: Teradata Database 13 releases
- 2010: Teradata introduces Teradata Extreme Data Appliance 1600.
- 2010: Teradata is named “one of the world’s most ethical companies” by The Ethisphere Institute.
- 2011: Teradata acquires Aprimo and Aster Data Systems.
- 2011: Gartner names Teradata as the global leader in data warehousing databases.
- 2011: Teradata adds Aprimo Real-Time Interaction Manager to its Marketing Solution suite.
- 2012: Teradata acquires eCircle, a direct marketing company with focus on email
- 2013: Teradata is named a leader in Gartner's Data Warehouse DBMS Magic Quadrant in February 2013 
- 2013: Teradata Teradata Applications and ADAM Software Announce Strategic Global Partnership
Technology and products
Teradata is a massively parallel processing system running a shared nothing architecture. Its technology consists of hardware, software, database, and consulting. The system moves data to a data warehouse where it can be recalled and analyzed.
The systems can be used as back-up for one another during downtime, and in normal operation balance the work load across themselves.
In 2009, Forrester Research issued a report, "The Forrester Wave: Enterprise Data Warehouse Platform," by James Kobielus, rating Teradata the industry's number one enterprise data warehouse platform in the "Current Offering" category.
Teradata is the most popular data warehouse DBMS in the DB-Engines database ranking.
Active enterprise data warehouse
Teradata Active Enterprise Data Warehouse is the platform that runs the Teradata Database, with added data management tools and data mining software.
The data warehouse differentiates between “hot and cold” data – meaning that the warehouse puts data that is not often used in a slower storage section. As of October 2010, Teradata uses Xeon 5600 processors for the server nodes.
Teradata Integrated Analytics is a set of tools for data analysis that resides inside the data warehouse.
Backup, archive, and restore
BAR is Teradata’s backup and recovery system.
The Teradata Disaster Recovery Solution is automation and tools for data recovery and archiving. Customer data can be stored in an offsite recovery center.
Teradata Platform Family is a set of products that include the Teradata Data Warehouse, Database, and a set of analytic tools. The platform family is marketed as smaller and less expensive than the other Teradata solutions.
|Acquisition date||Company||Valuation in millions USD||Purpose||References|
|May 2, 2012||eCircle||Marketing Tools|
|March 3, 2011||Aster Data Systems||263||MapReduce, Big Data|||
|December 22, 2010||Aprimo||550||Marketing tools|||
|August 10, 2010||Kickfire|||
|March 20, 2008||Claraview|||
|November 30, 2005 under NCR||DecisionPoint||Sourcing and integration of data|||
|July 14, 2000 under NCR||Stirling Douglas Group||Demand chain management|||
Below is a partial list of Teradata partners.
- TIBCO Spotfire 
- Informatica: Dual Load solution
- Kalido: Teradata and Kalido Accelerate product
- MicroStrategy: joint business intelligence products
- SAP: Netweaver datawarehouse
- Tableau Software: interactive data visualization products focused on business intelligence
- Attunity 
- WhereScape: data warehouse development and management tools
Teradata Partners Conference
Teradata holds an annual user group conference and expo known as Teradata PARTNERS with keynote industry speakers, educational sessions led by customers and other vendors. The Teradata Partners Conference has been an annual event since 1985. The conference involves lectures and speeches on technical and business topics and announcements about new products.
Teradata and Big Data
Teradata began to associate itself with the term, “Big Data” in 2010. CTO, Stephen Brobst, attributes the rise of big data to “new media sources, such as social media.” The increase in semi-structured and unstructured data gathered from online interactions prompted Teradata to form the “Petabyte club” in 2011 for its heaviest big data users.
The rise of big data resulted in many traditional data warehousing companies updating their products and technology. For Teradata, big data prompted the acquisition of Aster Data Systems in 2011 for the company’s MapReduce capabilities and ability to store and analyze semi-structured data.
Public interest in big data resulted in a 13% increase in Teradata’s global sales.
Teradata's main competitors are similar products from vendors such as Oracle, IBM, Microsoft and Sybase IQ. Also, competitors include data warehouse appliance vendors such as Netezza (acquired in November 2010 by IBM), DATAllegro (acquired in August 2008 by Microsoft), ParAccel, Greenplum (acquired in July 2010 by EMC), and Vertica Systems (acquired in February 2011 by HP), and from packaged data warehouse applications such as SAP BW and Kalido.
In 2012, over 4500 employees completed over 15,000 hours of volunteerism. Since the launch of Teradata Cares in May 2008 more than over 46,000 hours of volunteerism have been completed. Teradata Cares supports data philanthropy, youth science and technology education programs and established charities such as Junior Achievement and United Way.
- "TERADATA CORP /DE/ 2013 Annual Report Form (10-K)" (XBRL). United States Securities and Exchange Commission. February 27, 2014.
- "TERADATA CORP /DE/ 2014 Q1 Quarterly Report Form (10-Q)" (XBRL). United States Securities and Exchange Commission. May 12, 2014.
- "Teradata Number of Employees TDC NYSE". Retrieved 2014-01-12.
- "NCR Completes Teradata Spin Off". October 1, 2007.
- ^ Hallett, Tony. "Q&A: Teradata CEO Mike Koehler". Interview 10/22/07. Silicon.com. Retrieved 20 December 2011.
- "NCR Completes Teradata Spin Off" (Press release). NCR. October 1, 2007.
- Lawson, Loraine. "How Business Logic Modeling Helps Data Warehouse Integration". IT Business Edge. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Sambandaraksa, Don (August 12, 2010). "Teradata launches new text analytics". Bangkok Post. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Cogliano, Joe (November 2, 2009). "Teradata Targets Diverse Suppliers". Dayton Business Journal. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- "History". Teradata company website. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Teradata Milestones
- Pereira, Brian (January 1, 2010). "Marrying Strategic Intelligence with Operational Intelligence". InformationWeek. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Andrews, Edmund (January 11, 1996). "AT&T Acquisition, Soon to be Spun Off, Regains NCR Name". The New York Times. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- "NCR, Teradata to split up". CNN Money. January 8, 2007. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Hubler, David. "Teradata sees revenue growth in data consolidation". Washington Technology. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- "NCR's Teradata Product Receives Highest Data Warehouse Customer Satisfaction Rating in DBS III North American Survey".
- "Company News; NCR Acquires Ceres Integrated in a $90 Million Deal.". The New York Times. April 12, 2000. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- "NCR Completes Acquision of Sterling Douglas Group". Press release (NCR). July 14, 2000. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- "Teradata Expands Successful Offer to Migrate Oracle Users". Information Management Online. April 27, 2009. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Grant, Ian (April 27, 2009). "Users welcome integration of Netweaver and Teradata". Computer Weekly.
- Campanelli, Melissa (April 21, 2004). "Siebel Systems, Teradata Partner". Direct Marketing News. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- "Teradata Acquires DecisionPoint Software". Information Management Online. December 5, 2005.
- "Microsoft and Teradata Collaborate to Offer Business Intelligence Solutions for Mutual Customers" (Press release). Microsoft. January 15, 2007. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- "NCR, Teradata to split up". CNN Money. January 8, 2007. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- "Teradata and DFA Capital Management Announce Partnership" (Press release). DFA Capital Management. May 8, 2007. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- "Agilent Technologies and Teradata Establish First-of-Its-Kind Partnership to Integrate Network, Customer Data for Telecommunications Industry" (Press release). Agilent Technologies. May 21, 2007. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Hagerty, John (January 9, 2007). "NCR to Spinoff Teradata". Forbes. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- "SAS, Teradata Expand In-database Analytics Options.". EFYTimes.com. October 24, 2009. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Grimes, Seth (March 20, 2008). "Teradata has Acquired BI/DW Firm Claraview". InformationWeek. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Lai, Eric (October 14, 2008). "Teradata creates elite club for petabyte-plus data warehouse customers". Computerworld.
- Jai, C.S. (October 14, 2008). "Teradata Labs Unveils SSD Data Warehouse Solution." InfoTech Spotlight". Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- "The Infotech 100". Bloomberg Business Week. 2009. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- "Fortune 1000". CNNMoney.com. May 4, 2009. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Coster, Helen (March 22, 2010). "The World’s Most Ethical Companies". Forbes. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Morgan, Timothy Prickett (December 22, 2010). "Teradata eats Aprimo for $550m.". The Register. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Morgan, Timothy Prickett (March 3, 2011). "Teradata snaps up Aster Data for $263m". The Register. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Henschen, 2011. http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/info_management/229215658?pgno=1
- "Dataware house DBMS magic quadrant". Dashboard Insight. February 2, 2013. Retrieved February 2, 2013.
- Howard, Philip (September 8, 2010). "Dual Loading for Teradata". BCW IT Leadership. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- "The Forrester Wave: Enterprise Data Warehouse Platform," by James Kobielus, February 6, 2009.
- Donald Feinberg, Mark A. Beyer (January 28, 2011). "Magic Quadrant for Data Warehouse Database Management Systems". Gartner Group. Retrieved October 25, 2011.
- "Magic Quadrant for Data Warehouse Database Management Systems". Gartner Group. February 6, 2012. Retrieved February 29, 2012.
- "DB-Engines Ranking of database management systems". Retrieved April 11, 2013.
- "WORLD'S MOST ADMIRED COMPANIES". Fortune. Retrieved October 27, 2010.
- Whitehorn, Mark (September 14, 2009). "What your database needs is a good thermometer.". The Register. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Morgan, Timothy Prickett (October 25, 2010). "Teradata pumps data warehouses with six-core Xeons". The Register. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Dignan, Larry. “Teradata rolls out latest database, pushes time aware analysis.” ZDnet. October 25, 2010. http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/teradata-rolls-out-latest-database-pushes-time-aware-analysis/40865
- Vizard, Mike. “Teradata Extends Analytics Engine.” CTOEdge. October 25, 2010.
- Russom, Philip. “Big Data Analytics: The News from Teradata.” TDWI blog. September 22, 2011.
- Henschen, Doug. “Teradata Upgrades Break Down Database Barriers.” InformationWeek. September 22, 2011.
- Winter, Richard. InformationWeek. September 18, 2010. “Research: State of Enterprise Databases.”
- Teradata brochure. “Teradata Backup Archive Restore.”
- Fratto, Mike. “Teradata Disaster Recovery Solution Helps Reduce the Panic of Catastrophic Events.” Network Computing. June 29, 2009.
- IT Reseller Magazine. “Teradata announces new family of powerful analytic platforms.”
- Morgan, Timothy Prickett (March 3, 2011). "Teradata Snaps Up Aster Data for $263m". Channel Register. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Vizard, Mike (September 22, 2011). "Diversity Comes to Data Management". IT Business Edge. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Morgan, Timothy Prickett (December 22, 2010). "Teradata Eats Aprimo for $550m". Channel Register. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Henschen, Doug (April 9, 2011). "IT and Marketing: How Digital Media’s Changing the Relationship". InformationWeek. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Kanaracus, Chris (August 10, 2010). "Teradata buys analytics vendor Kickfire". Info World. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Grimes, Seth (March 20, 2008). "Teradata Has Acquired BI/DW Firm Claraview". InformationWeek. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- "Teradata Acquires DecisionPoint(R) Software; Acquisition Extends Teradata's Financial Management Portfolio". Press release. November 30, 2005. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- "Browse Our Partners". Teradata. Retrieved April 26, 2013.
- "Browse Our Partners". Teradata. Retrieved April 26, 2013.
- Howard, Philip (September 8, 2010). "Dual Loading for Teradata". BCW. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- "Kalido and Teradata Team to Deliver an Agile Data Warehouse for the Mid-Market" (Press release). Kalido. October 25, 2010. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- "Solutions: MicroStrategy and Teradata". MicroStrategy website. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- "MicroStrategy Announces Teradata Support for Business Intelligence Cloud" (Press release). MicroStrategy. January 24, 2012.
- Grant, Ian (April 27, 2009). "Users welcome integration of Netweaver and Teradata". Computer Weekly. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- "Browse Our Partners". Teradata. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- "Teradata PARTNERS User Group".
- "Learning how small fish can eat big fish". China Daily. November 15, 2010. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Wise, Lyndsay (October 22, 2009). "Wrapping Up at Teradata Partners User Group Conference". Dashboard Insight. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Salah-Ahmed, Amira (May 4, 2011). "One-on-One with Teradata’s CTO Stephen Brobst". The Daily Egypt News. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Grant, Ian (April 11, 2011). "Big data boosts Teradata growth". Computer Weekly. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Miniman, Stuart (March 28, 2011). "The Emerging Big Data Vendor Ecosystem". Wikibon. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Kanaracus, Chris (March 3, 2011). "Teradata Buys Aster Data, Boosts "Big Data" Wares". CIO. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Teradata decides to compete head-on as a data warehouse appliance vendor
- "Teradata Cares". Teradata. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Company Home page
- Teradata Applications President Darryl McDonald's Blog
- Teradata PARTNERS Conference – Teradata user group conference and expo
- Teradata Knowledge Blog