|Directed by||Satish Kaushik|
|Produced by||Sunil Manchanda
|Written by||Jainendra Jain
|Music by||Himesh Reshammiya
|Editing by||Sanjay Verma|
|Distributed by||MD Productions|
|Running time||133 mins|
|Box office||1195 million (US$20 million)|
Tere Naam (In your name) is a 2003 Bollywood musical romantic drama film. It is directed by Satish Kaushik and written by Bala, starring Salman Khan and Bhoomika Chawla in her Hindi film debut. The film is a remake of Bala's own directional venture, Tamil film Sethu (1999).
The film is supposedly based on a true story as the DVD cover says "Unfortunately a true love story", though during the end credits a fictitious disclaimer is shown. Before the release of the film media speculated the film was based on Khan's real life relationship with actress Aishwarya Rai.
Tere Naam was release on 15 August 2003 and was major success at the box office. Salman was highly praised for his portrayal of Radhe Mohan and the role is widely considered to be his finest performance till date. Tere Naam was nominated for a total of 24 Awards, winning 7 of them, including 8 Filmfare Award nominations. In 2011 Kaushik announced a sequel to Tere Naam, thus he is currently working on the script.
Radhe Mohan (Salman Khan), a rowdy ex-college boy who, after a ragging (hazing) session, loses his heart to first year student Nirjara (Bhumika Chawla), a traditional Brahmin girl. Just when Nirjara reciprocates his love, Radhey is attacked by a gang of thugs, loses his mind and is admitted to an ashram where, it is hoped, the more traditional means of treatment could have a therapeutic effect on him.
Eventually he returns to normal, and rushes back to Nirjara's house, only to find that she has committed suicide, because her family were forcing her to marry Rameshwara (Ravi Kishan). After accepting this fact he returns to the ashram.
- Salman Khan as Radhe Mohan
- Bhumika Chawla as Nirjhara
- Sachin Khedekar as Radhe's Brother
- Savita Prabhune as Radhe's Sister-in-Law
- Ravi Kishan as Rameshwar
- Sarfaraz khan as Aslam
- Anang Desai as Doctor
- Dinesh Kaushik as Nirjara's brother in law
- Radhika Chaudhari
- Mahima Chaudhary in a special appearance
Tere Naam garnered overwhelmingly buoyant reviews. Subhash K Jha of Times of India waxed lyrical about Salman claiming that the actor had outshone even Dilip Kumar and Amitabh Bachchan. " Obsessive unrequited love has been done by many actors in the past from Dilip Kumar in Mehboob Khan's Andaz to Amitabh Bacchan in Parwana to Shah Rukh Khan in Anjaam. But none has done it with such stunning physical and emotional aggression. Salman takes over the show with gut-wrenching and finally devastating impact."
Tere Naam opened to packed houses and took the nation by storm. The response to Tere Naam surpassed that of Gadar Ek Prem Katha, Lagaan, Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham, Main Prem Ki Diwani Hoon and Koi... Mil Gaya. Jodhpur saw almost a dozen people donning Salman's Tere Naam hairstyle for the first day's show. And this was the place where Salman Khan had received the maximum flak after his black buck case.
Komal Nahta reported in Film Information that the collections at Meerut's Nandan cinema have broken records over the last five years. Two hours after the advanced booking counter for the film opened for the first time, the theatre sold Rs 3 lakh (Rs 300,000) worth of tickets.
- Star Screen Award Best Music Director - Himesh Reshammiya
- Zee Cine Award Best Female Debut - Bhumika Chawla
- Screen Weekly Award Best Music Director - Himesh Reshammiya
- Zee Cine Award Best Music Director - Himesh Reshammiya
- Zee Cine Award Best Background Score - Vicky Goswami
- Apsara Film Awards for the Best Female Playback Singer - Alka Yagnik
- Sansui Awards for Best Playback Female Singer - Alka Yagnik
- Filmfare Best Film Award
- Filmfare Best Director Award - Satish Kaushik
- Filmfare Best Actor Award - Salman Khan
- Filmfare Best Actress Award - Bhumika Chawla
- Filmfare Best Male Playback Award - Udit Narayan for "Tere Naam"
- Filmfare Best Female Playback Award - Alka Yagnik for "Oodhni"
- Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Himesh Reshammiya
- Filmfare Best Lyard - Sameer for "Tere Naam"
- Star Screen Award Best Actor - Salman Khan
- Star Screen Award Best Actress - Bhumika Chawla
- Star Screen Award Best Female Playback - Alka Yagnik
- Star Screen Award Best Male Playback - Udit Na
|Studio album by Himesh Reshammiya|
7 July 2003 (India)
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Himesh Reshammiya chronology|
The soundtrack of the film contains 10 songs. The music is composed by Himesh Reshammiya and Sajid-Wajid with lyrics penned by Sameer. The songs of the film were extremely popular and it was one of the best soundtracks of 2003.
|1||"Chand"||Udit Narayan||Himesh Reshammiya||05:35|
|2||"Kyun Kisi Ko"||Udit Narayan||Himesh Reshammiya||05:37|
|3||"Lagan Lagi"||Sukhwinder Singh||Sajid-Wajid||04:35|
|4||"Man Basia"||Alka Yagnik||Himesh Reshammiya||03:04|
|5||"O Jaana"||Udit Narayan, Alka Yagnik, KK, Shaan, Kamaal Khan||Himesh Reshammiya||05:28|
|6||"Oodhni"||Udit Narayan, Alka Yagnik||Himesh Reshammiya||06:49|
|7||"Tere Naam"||Udit Narayan, Alka Yagnik||Himesh Reshammiya||06:49|
|8||"Tumse Milna"||Udit Narayan, Alka Yagnik||Himesh Reshammiya||04:41|
|9||"Tune Saath Jo Mera Chhoda"||Udit Narayan||Sajid-Wajid||05:33|
|10||"Tune Saath Jo Mera Chhoda (Sad)"||Udit Narayan||Sajid-Wajid||01:21|
- "Box Office 2003". Box Office India. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Tere Naam Cast & Crew". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Bollywood remakes of South Indian films". NDTV. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- Kanika Gahlaut (14 July 2003). "Salman's Ash-tonishing act". India Today. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Tere Naam: The Salman-Ash story?". The Times of India. 8 July 2003. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- Madhureeta Mukherjee (14 August 2003). "Tere Naam is Salman's best act". The Times of India. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "TOP 10: Salman Khan's biggest hits". Hindustan Times. 17 August 2012. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Tere Naam 2003 Awards". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Tere Naam 2 script will be ready soon: Satish Kaushik". 21 September.
- "Salman: Filmometer". Koimoi.com.
- "Salman Khan's Biggest Hits". Rediff.com. 15 September 2010. Retrieved 27 May 2013.
- Bollywood films of 2003#Top grossing films
- "Tere Naam Music Review". Retrieved 17 October 2011.