5 October 1965 |
|Occupation||Football referee, referee advisor|
Since he made his debut in 1990, Hauge has refereed 232 matches in the Tippeligaen. He has been an authorised FIFA referee since 1993. He won the Kniksen award as referee of the year in the Tippeligaen in 2004, 2007 and 2010. Hauge is currently ranked as an Elite referee in the UEFA Referees Categories.
- Matches refereed in the Tippeligaen: 301
- Matches refereed in the European cups: 50+
- Matches refereed for National teams: 50+
Hauge has also refereed in the 2002 World Cup, Euro 2000 (4th referee), Euro 2004 and the 1996 and 2003 Norwegian cup finals. He also refereed the UEFA Super Cup match between FC Porto and Valencia CF at the Stade Louis II in Monaco on 27 August 2004.
Hauge was not selected to referee at the Euro 2008 tournament however, his fellow countryman and colleague Tom Henning Øvrebø given the honor instead. This marked the first time Øvrebø was selected over Hauge to referee at a major tournament.
UEFA Champions League
Chelsea vs. Barcelona
In a UEFA Champions League tie between Chelsea and Barcelona, Hauge sent off Chelsea defender Asier del Horno for a challenge on Barcelona's Lionel Messi, and Chelsea eventually slipped to a 2–1 defeat. After the match Hauge allegedly received death threats from Chelsea fans, but stood by his decision. This incident was not unlike what fellow referee Anders Frisk had faced the previous year after refereeing a Champions League game between these two sides.
On 17 May 2006, Terje Hauge became the first Norwegian referee to referee in a UEFA Champions League Final. He took charge of the match between Arsenal and Barcelona at the Stade de France in Paris. During the match, he created history when he showed a red card to goalkeeper Jens Lehmann of Arsenal, making Lehmann the first player ever to be sent off in a Champions League Final.
Hauge later admitted that although he was pleased with his overall display, he might have been too hasty in sending off Lehmann, and on hindsight should have taken more time to make a decision.
- UEFA har offentliggjort sin nye rangeringsliste for dommere Fotball.no, 22 December 2009
- Hauge picked for Paris match[dead link] UEFA.com
- UEFA Super Cup UEFA.com
- Blues to act on ref death threats, BBC Sport, 24 February 2006
- Messi hits back at Mourinho jibe, BBC Sport, 23 February 2006
- Lehmann sent off as Barca triumph, CNN, 18 May 2006
- Referee regrets Lehmann red card BBC Sport, 18 May 2006, accessed 21 September 2007