Terra Bella, California
Location in Tulare County and the state of California
|• Total||2.721 sq mi (7.047 km2)|
|• Land||2.721 sq mi (7.047 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2) 0%|
|Elevation||486 ft (148 m)|
|• Density||1,200/sq mi (470/km2)|
|Time zone||Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature ID||1652800|
Terra Bella is located at (35.961292, -119.040914).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 2.7 square miles (7.0 km2), all of it land.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Terra Bella had a population of 3,310. The population density was 1,216.6 people per square mile (469.7/km²). The racial makeup of Terra Bella was 1,426 (43.1%) White, 5 (0.2%) African American, 20 (0.6%) Native American, 75 (2.3%) Asian, 2 (0.1%) Pacific Islander, 1,733 (52.4%) from other races, and 49 (1.5%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2,894 persons (87.4%).
The Census reported that 3,301 people (99.7% of the population) lived in households, 9 (0.3%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 0 (0%) were institutionalized.
There were 787 households, out of which 510 (64.8%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 521 (66.2%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 93 (11.8%) had a female householder with no husband present, 78 (9.9%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 73 (9.3%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 10 (1.3%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 65 households (8.3%) were made up of individuals and 25 (3.2%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 4.19. There were 692 families (87.9% of all households); the average family size was 4.41.
The population was spread out with 1,256 people (37.9%) under the age of 18, 344 people (10.4%) aged 18 to 24, 926 people (28.0%) aged 25 to 44, 564 people (17.0%) aged 45 to 64, and 220 people (6.6%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 26.1 years. For every 100 females there were 104.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 105.8 males.
There were 824 housing units at an average density of 302.9 per square mile (116.9/km²), of which 381 (48.4%) were owner-occupied, and 406 (51.6%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 1.0%; the rental vacancy rate was 3.8%. 1,627 people (49.2% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 1,674 people (50.6%) lived in rental housing units.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,466 people, 779 households, and 701 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 2,003.6 people per square mile (773.5/km²). There were 817 housing units at an average density of 472.3 per square mile (182.3/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 28.85% White, 0.55% African American, 1.64% Native American, 3.58% Asian, 61.17% from other races, and 4.21% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 83.96% of the population.
There were 779 households out of which 60.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 71.4% were married couples living together, 11.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 10.0% were non-families. 8.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 4.44 and the average family size was 4.60.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 38.0% under the age of 18, 14.2% from 18 to 24, 27.6% from 25 to 44, 14.8% from 45 to 64, and 5.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 24 years. For every 100 females there were 118.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 117.0 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $25,313, and the median income for a family was $24,750. Males had a median income of $20,469 versus $17,188 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $7,034. About 34.7% of families and 39.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 48.6% of those under age 18 and 20.0% of those age 65 or over.
In the state legislature Terra Bella is located in the 16th Senate District, represented by Democrat Dean Florez, and in the 30th Assembly District, represented by Republican Danny Gilmore. Federally, Terra Bella is located in California's 21st congressional district, which has a Cook PVI of R +13 and is represented by Republican Devin Nunes.
- In the 2011 Novel Undying Memories Terra Bella is described as a small farming town that peaked in its early years.
- La Belle Winery, the first commercial winery located in Terra Bella, CA. Located on the property is the "Battle Mountain Kissing Rock"; couples travel from around the world to kiss on the famous rock.
- U.S. Census
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- All data are derived from the United States Census Bureau reports from the 2010 United States Census, and are accessible on-line here. The data on unmarried partnerships and same-sex married couples are from the Census report DEC_10_SF1_PCT15. All other housing and population data are from Census report DEC_10_DP_DPDP1. Both reports are viewable online or downloadable in a zip file containing a comma-delimited data file. The area data, from which densities are calculated, are available on-line here. Percentage totals may not add to 100% due to rounding. The Census Bureau defines families as a household containing one or more people related to the householder by birth, opposite-sex marriage, or adoption. People living in group quarters are tabulated by the Census Bureau as neither owners nor renters. For further details, see the text files accompanying the data files containing the Census reports mentioned above.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Will Gerrymandered Districts Stem the Wave of Voter Unrest?". Campaign Legal Center Blog. Retrieved 2008-02-10.