Educated at Sir George Williams University (BA) and McGill University (MA), Copp first published The Anatomy of Poverty:The Condition of the Working Class in Montreal, 1897-1929. Toronto, McClelland & Stewart Limited, 1974. He established a reputation as one of Canada's foremost military historians. He founded the journal Canadian Military History.
His books include Cinderella Army : The Canadians in Northwest Europe, Fields of Fire : The Canadians in Normandy, No Price Too High, The Brigade: The Fifth Canadian Infantry Brigade, and The Canadian Battlefields in Italy: Sicily and Southern Italy.
He was involved in battlefield studies tours.
In November of 2011, with Matt Symes and Nick Lachance, he co-authored Canadian Battlefields 1915-1918: A Visitor's Guide. Canadian Battlefields: 1915-1918
- Wilfrid Laurier University
- Laurier Centre for Military Strategic and Disarmament Studies
- Legion Magazine
- "Prof. Terry Copp". Laurier Faculty of Arts. Retrieved February 28, 2011.
- "Our Staff". Laurier Centre for Military Strategic and Disarmament Studies. Retrieved February 29, 2011.
- Carson Jerema (February 22, 2011). "Political studies in flux". Winnipeg Free Press. Retrieved February 28, 2011.
- "Articles by Author". Retrieved February 28, 2011.