Terry Fox Run
The Terry Fox Run is an annual non-competitive charity event held in numerous regions around the world in commemoration of Canadian cancer activist Terry Fox, and his Marathon of Hope, and to raise money for cancer research.
The event was founded in 1981 by Isadore Sharp, who contacted Terry in hospital by telegram and expressed his wishes to hold an annual run in Terry's name to raise funds for cancer research. Sharp himself had lost a son to cancer in 1979. The event is held every year on the second Sunday following Labour Day. Since its inception, it has raised via the 'Terry Fox Foundation' over $600 million (CAD). The run itself is informal which means that the distance often varies, usually between 5 and 15 kilometres; participation is considered to be more important than Run is a volunteer led, all-inclusive, non-competitive event with no corporate sponsorship, incentives or fundraising minimums. Terry laid out these wishes before his death in 1981.
In 2007 The Terry Fox Foundation created the Terry Fox Research Institute  to conduct translational research to significantly improve outcomes for cancer patients. In the last fiscal year (ending March 31, 2011), The Terry Fox Foundation directed $30 million to its cancer > The Great Canadian Hair “Do” is a fundraising event that can take place at any time of the year. Participants are able to make the event as creative as they want— shave their heads, dye their hair a wacky colour, include a manly leg wax, and recruit friends to shave their heads as well.
- Australia - First run: September 1988 in Brisbane (legacy from Expo '88) raising $ 22 000 (AUD)
- China - First run: 1998
- Malaysia - First run: early 1990s in Kuala Lumpur 
- Philippines - First run: 2001 in Cebu City
- Taiwan - First run: 2001 in Taipei City
- Thailand - First run: 1995 in Bangkok
- Vietnam - First run: 1996 in Ho Chi Minh City
- Croatia - First run: 2000 
- Poland - First run: 2006 
- Portugal - First run: 1994 
- United Kingdom
- Pan-Mass Challenge, the largest charity athletic event in the USA to fund cancer research
- Relay for Life
- The Ride to Conquer Cancer
- Terry Fox Run Kuala Lumpur
- "Terry Fox Run kicks off today". Retrieved April 12, 2012.
- "Bangkok's Eleventh Annual Terry Fox Run for Cancer Research to be held 30 October 2005". Retrieved September 14, 2011.
- Portugal :: Terry Fox Run
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Terry Fox Run.|