|Date of birth:July 9, 1956|
|Place of birth: Jacksonville, Florida|
|High school: Jacksonville (FL) Raines|
|NFL Draft: 1978 / Round: 4 / Pick: 91|
|Debuted in 1978 for the San Francisco 49ers|
|Last played in 1987 for the Minnesota Vikings|
Career NFL statistics
|Stats at pro-football-reference.com|
Terry Jerome LeCount (born July 9, 1956) is an American former college and professional football player who was a wide receiver in the National Football League (NFL) for nine seasons during the 1970s and 1980s. LeCount played college football for the University of Florida, and thereafter, he played professionally for the San Francisco 49ers and Minnesota Vikings of the NFL.
LeCount was born in Jacksonville, Florida in 1956. He attended William M. Raines High School in Jacksonville, and he led the Raines Vikings high school football team to the Florida Class 4A state championship game as their quarterback in 1973. LeCount was a multi-sport athlete and flourished in track and field where he was champion of the 220 and 440-yard dashes.
LeCount accepted an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida, where he played for coach Doug Dickey's Florida Gators football team from 1974 to 1977. He was the second African-American, following Donald Gaffney, who played the quarterback position for the Gators, and led Dickey's "gatorbone" offense, a variation of the wishbone offense.
The San Francisco 49ers selected LeCount in the fourth round (ninety-seventh pick overall) in the 1978 NFL Draft, and he played for the 49ers during his first NFL season in 1978 and part of his second season. The 49ers traded him to the Minnesota Vikings in 1979. LeCount was a Viking from 1979 through 1984, and again in 1987, after coming back from an injury. He finished his eight-season NFL career having played in seventy-two games, started nineteen of them, with eighty-nine receptions for 1,354 yards and seven touchdowns.
- Florida Gators football, 1970–79
- History of the Minnesota Vikings
- History of the San Francisco 49ers
- List of Florida Gators football players in the NFL
- Pro-Football-Reference.com, Players, Terry LeCount. Retrieved March 18, 2011.
- databaseFootball.com, Players, Terry LeCount. Retrieved March 18, 2011.
- 2011 Florida Gators Football Media Guide, University Athletic Association, Gainesville, Florida, pp. 139–140, 142, 144, 146, 148, 150, 165, 183 (2011). Retrieved August 30, 2011.
- Pro Football Hall of Fame, Draft History, 1978 National Football League Draft. Retrieved March 18, 2011.
- National Football League, Historical Players, Terry LeCount. Retrieved March 18, 2011.
- Carlson, Norm, University of Florida Football Vault: The History of the Florida Gators, Whitman Publishing, LLC, Atlanta, Georgia (2007). ISBN 0-7948-2298-3.
- Golenbock, Peter, Go Gators! An Oral History of Florida's Pursuit of Gridiron Glory, Legends Publishing, LLC, St. Petersburg, Florida (2002). ISBN 0-9650782-1-3.
- Hairston, Jack, Tales from the Gator Swamp: A Collection of the Greatest Gator Stories Ever Told, Sports Publishing, LLC, Champaign, Illinois (2002). ISBN 1-58261-514-4.
- McCarthy, Kevin M., Fightin' Gators: A History of University of Florida Football, Arcadia Publishing, Mount Pleasant, South Carolina (2000). ISBN 978-0-7385-0559-6.
- Nash, Noel, ed., The Gainesville Sun Presents The Greatest Moments in Florida Gators Football, Sports Publishing, Inc., Champaign, Illinois (1998). ISBN 1-57167-196-X.