|Area||3.8 sq mi (9.8 km2)|
|- land||3.7 sq mi (10 km2)|
|- water||0.1 sq mi (0 km2), 2.63%|
|Density||6,862.8 / sq mi (2,649.7 / km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Terrytown is a census-designated place (CDP) in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana on the West Bank of the Mississippi River. It is a suburb within the New Orleans–Metairie–Kenner Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 25,430 at the 2000 census. Terrytown was founded on March 5, 1960, by subdivision developer, Paul Kapelow, who named the town after his first daughter, Terry Kapelow. Terrytown includes Oakwood Center, a major shopping mall on the West Bank of Greater New Orleans.
Terrytown is located at .(29.902356, -90.029475)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 3.8 square miles (9.7 km²), of which, 3.7 square miles (9.6 km²) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.1 km²) of it (1.07%) is water.
The two main intersecting streets are Terry Parkway, running north and south, and Carol Sue Ave. (named for Paul Kapelow's second daughter, Carol Sue Kapelow), running east and west.
As of the census of 2000, there were 25,430 people, 9,344 households, and 6,793 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 6,862.8 people per square mile (2,646.5/km²). There were 9,656 housing units at an average density of 2,605.9 per square mile (1,004.9/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 55.90% White, 34.66% African American, 0.51% Native American, 3.48% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 2.71% from other races, and 2.69% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 8.67% of the population.
There were 9,344 households out of which 38.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.2% were married couples living together, 20.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.3% were non-families. 22.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.72 and the average family size was 3.19.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 29.0% under the age of 18, 10.1% from 18 to 24, 32.2% from 25 to 44, 20.7% from 45 to 64, and 7.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32 years. For every 100 females there were 90.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.9 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $36,897, and the median income for a family was $41,963. Males had a median income of $31,421 versus $23,241 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $16,725. About 13.6% of families and 15.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 24.3% of those under age 18 and 6.5% of those age 65 or over.
Jefferson Parish Public Schools operates public schools. Boudreaux, Middleton, and Terrytown elementary Schools in Terrytown serve Terrytown. All residents are zoned to Livaudais Middle School in Terrytown and West Jefferson High School in Harvey.
Private schools include:
- Christ The King Elementary School
- Stepping Stones Montessori
Jefferson Parish Library operates the Terrytown Library. The library is across the street from the Terrytown Playground, shares a parking lot with the Terrytown Golden Age Center, and is in proximity to Terrytown Elementary. The library first opened on October 9, 1974. In December 2009 the library closed for renovations. Chris Roberts, a parish council member, provided riverboat gaming funds to help renovate the library. The renovated library opened on September 8, 2010 with a new main entrance.
Notable natives and residents 
- Jim Tucker, the first Republican to hold the leadership position of Louisiana House of Representatives Speaker in more than a century.
- Stephen J. Windhorst, state district judge and Tucker's predecessor in the Louisiana House
Artis Silvester, a contestant on Survivor: Phillipines
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "CENSUS OF POPULATION AND HOUSING (1790-2000)". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2010-07-17.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Terrytown CDP, Louisiana." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on September 28, 2010.
- "Westbank Elementary." (Archive) Jefferson Parish Public School System. Retrieved on September 26, 2010.
- "Westbank Middle." (Archive) Jefferson Parish Public School System. Retrieved on September 26, 2010.
- "Westbank High." (Archive) Jefferson Parish Public School System. Retrieved on September 26, 2010.
- "Terrytown Library." Jefferson Parish Library. Retrieved on September 28, 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Terrytown, Louisiana|
- Page on Terrytown
- Page on Terrytown
- Page on the Terrytown Branch of the Jefferson Parish Library
- Map of the Terrytown Bus Route from Jefferson Transit
- Terrytown, La. profile
- CNN article on Terrytown after Hurricane Katrina