|Industry||Software Science, Engineering|
|Founded||Oxfordshire, England (1980)|
|Key people||Kevin Gell, Founder, Chairman|
Tessella is an international analytics, technology and consultancy firm specialising in R&D.
In 2000 Tessella opened its first branch outside the UK in Den Haag, The Netherlands. In 2003 Tessella started working in the USA as “Tessella Inc” and now has offices in Houston, TX, Boston, Massachusetts and Washington DC.
During 2005 Tessella purchased Analyticon.
In 2009 Tessella changed its name form “Tessella Support Services Plc” to “Tessella Plc” and expanded its services to include consulting.
In July 2012 Tessella announces the completion of its management buy-out, led by its existing management team. Mobeus Equity Partners supported the buyout and founder Kevin Gell retains a significant minority stake plus continues to serve as a board member. http://www.tessella.com/2012/07/press-release-management-buy-out-at-tessella/
Since the MBO, Tessella has expanded its consulting and technology services to explicitly include analytics as a core capability, channeling the hi-tech experience gained supporting clients in big science, space & defense and similarly data-rich industries.
Areas of work
Tessella works in the R&D function of range of industries including: pharmaceuticals, oil and gas, space, science research and archiving.
Tessella's software Safety Deposit Box (SDB) is used by many of the worlds archives including Austria, Estonia, UK, Swiss, Malaysian, Dutch National Archives, as well as Rotterdam Regional Archives and the Wellcome Trust library. In June 2012 Tessella launched a digital preservation software as a service offering Preservica.
Tessella specialises in the development of Adaptive Clinical Trials systems, used to shorten the time and patients needed to test new drugs. Much of this is based around Bayesian methods. Tessella wrote the user interface for Wyeth’s Adaptive Design Explorer (ADE) software.
Tessella has worked at both JET and ITER fusion research sites. They are currently working on a new instrument independent data analysis framework for use in Neutron and Muon experiments. This is a collaboration project between Tessella, ISIS, and ORNL.
Tessella has been involved in the development of the Guidance Navigation and Control systems for a number of space missions including: Solar Orbiter, Herschel Space Observatory, Planck spacecraft
Oil and Gas
The TAPAS (the “Train Automatic Performance Analysis System”) program was written by Tessella for Southern Rail to monitor their systems and highlight any behaviour that could indicate potential problems.
- Tessella History
- Analytics Interview with CIO Magazine
- New Digital Archive at The National Archives
- Managing digital information: the issues for libraries
- Tessella Press Release
- Digital Preservation Awards
- Making adaptive clinical trials mainstream
- Adaptive Clinical Trials: Separating Fact from Fiction
- Wyeth’s Best Practices Winner Boosts Adaptive Clinical Trials
- Tessella gets to work on ITER's computer systems
- Asking the big questions
- Case study of Mantid at ISIS
- Leading science labs collaborate on open source software
- Guidance Navigation and Control
- Solar Orbiter
- Herschel Space Observatory
- Planck spacecraft
- Tessella - technical IT services to Shell
- New Database for Dose Reporting & Record Keeping – Update
- Tessella seeks opportunities for smart grid predictive analytics