He finished tenth in the 5000 metres at the 2002 African Championships. At the 2003 World Cross Country Championships he finished twelfth in the short race, while the Ethiopian team, of which Absher was a part, won the silver medal in the team competition.
Personal bests 
- 3000 metres - 7:44.21 min (2005)
- 5000 metres - 13:23.08 min (2005)
- 10,000 metres - 28:22.68 min (2006)
- Half marathon - 1:02:57 hrs (2006)
- Marathon - 2:08:26 hrs (2008)
- Powell, David (2009-03-29). With brother and Gebrselassie as inspiration, Abshero rises in the ranks. IAAF. Retrieved on 2011-01-11.
|This biographical article relating to Ethiopian athletics is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|