|Education||B.Tech.Government Engineering College, Thrissur, M.Tech from Institute of Armament Technology, Pune|
|Occupation||Scientist of DRDO|
|Years active||1988 – present|
|Notable credit(s)||Agni Missile Project Director Agni-IV|
Tessy Thomas (Malayalam: ടെസ്സി തോമസ്) (born in 1964) is the Project Director for Agni-IV missile in Defence Research and Development Organisation. She is the first woman scientist to head a missile project in India.
Early life and Education
Tessy hails from Alappuzha and born on April 1963, Kerala. She was born to a small-businessman father and a homemaker mother and did her engineering graduation from Government Engineering College, Thrissur. She grew up near a rocket launching station and says her fascination with rockets and missiles began then. She also has an M.Tech in Guided Missile from the Institute of Armament Technology, Pune (now known as the Defence Institute of Advanced Technology). Her devout Nasrani Syrian Christian parents from Kerala named her after Mother Teresa the late Nobel laureate and saint of the Latin church who worked with the poor in Calcutta.
Tessy was associate project director of the 3,000 km range Agni-III missile project. She was the project director for mission Agni IV which was successfully tested in 2011. Tessy was appointed as the Project Director for 5,000 km range Agni-V in 2009 and is based at the Advanced Systems Laboratory in Hyderabad. The missile was successfully tested on 19 April 2012. In January 2012, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh told the Indian Science Congress that Mrs Thomas is an example of a "woman making her mark in a traditionally male bastion and decisively breaking the glass ceiling". The media loves to call her Agniputri, or one born of fire, after the missiles she has helped develop. "We are all proud of our country. Agni-V is one of our greatest achievements," she says.
She is married to Saroj Kumar, now a commodore in the Indian Navy and they have a son, Tejas. engineer in ford technologies.In a glowing tribute in 2008, The Indian Woman Scientists Association did not forget to mention that "like most women she also does a tight-rope walk between home and career, between being a mother and a scientist who is dedicated to her job. "We feel Tessy Thomas serves as a role model and an inspiration for women scientists to achieve their dreams and have their feet planted in both worlds successfully," the group said.
- Profile of Dr.Tessy Thomas
- "Meet India's "Missile Woman".". IWSA Newsletter 34 (3). September 2008. Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- Fire in the Belly, With eggs: India's Missile woman: Tessy Thomas; 28th April 2012
- Bagla, Pallav. "The 'missile woman' behind India's new ICBM". BBC Online. Retrieved 21 April 2012.
- Smt. Tessy Thomas is first woman scientist to head missile project .
- 'Agni Putri' Tessy Thomas breaks glass ceiling
- Tessy Thomas is Agni V project head
- Agni-V successfully test-fired
- "Scientist honoured for work on Agni missile tech". Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- "‘Missile woman’ Tessy Thomas conferred Shastri award". October 2, 2012. Retrieved 2 October 2012.