|Stable release||9.31 / September 3, 2013|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
TestComplete is an automated testing tool, developed by SmartBear Software which aims to allow testers to create software quality tests. Tests can be recorded, manually scripted or created manually with keyword operations and used for automated playback and error logging.
TestComplete is used for testing many different application types including Web, Windows, WPF, HTML5, Flash, Flex, Silverlight, .NET, VCL and Java. It automates front-end UI/functional testing and back-end testing like database testing.
TestComplete is used to create and automate many different software test types. Record and playback test creation records a tester performing a manual test and allows it to be played back over and over again as an automated test. Recorded tests can be modified later by testers to create new tests or enhance existing tests with more use cases.
Keyword Testing: TestComplete has a built-in keyword-driven test editor that consists of keyword operations that correspond to automated testing actions.
Full-Featured Script Editor: TestComplete has a built-in code editor that helps testers write scripts manually. It also includes a set of special plug-ins that help.
Test Record and Playback: TestComplete records the key actions necessary to replay the test and discards all unneeded actions.
Script Debugging Features: The debugger can stop before every executable line in the script or keyword test. That helps track what the test is doing and make changes when necessary.
Access to Methods and Properties of Internal Objects: TestComplete reads the names of the visible elements and many internal elements of Delphi, C++Builder, .NET, WPF, Java and Visual Basic applications and allows test scripts to access these values for verification or use in tests.
Issue-Tracking Support: TestComplete includes issue-tracking templates that can be used to create or modify items stored in issue-tracking systems. TestComplete currently supports Microsoft Visual Studio 2005, 2008, 2010 Team System, BugZilla, Jira and AutomatedQA AQdevTeam.
COM-based, Open Architecture: TestComplete's engine is based on an open API, COM interface. It is source-language independent, and can read debugger information and use it at runtime through the TestComplete Debug Info Agent.
Test Visualizer – TestComplete automatically captures screenshots during test recording and playback. This enables quick comparisons between expected and actual screens during test.
Support for plugins - TestComplete supports plugins so third-party vendors can connect TestComplete with their applications. For instance the test case management software SpiraTest can be linked to TestComplete so test runs of automated tests get reported back into SpiraTest.
Microsoft Windows 2000, XP, Server 2003, Server 2008, Vista, Windows 7 and 8. (both 32-bit and 64-bit editions).
Supported testing types
Supported scripting languages
- Support for all 32-bit and 64-bit Windows applications.
- Extended support, access to internal objects, methods and properties, for the following:
- .NET (C#, VB.NET, JScript.NET, VCL.NET, C#Builder, Python .NET, Perl .NET etc.)
- Java (AWT, SWT, Swing, WFC)
- Sybase PowerBuilder, Microsoft FoxPro, Microsoft Access, Microsoft InfoPath
- Web browsers (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome)
- Visual C++
- Visual Basic
- Visual FoxPro
- Adobe Flash
- Adobe Flex
- Adobe AIR
- Microsoft Silverlight
- Software Development Jolt Awards presented by Software Development magazine: 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2013
- Delphi Informant Readers Choice Awards as the Best in the Testing/QA Tool category: 2003, 2004
- asp.netPRO Readers' Choice Awards: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009
- Windows IT Pro Editors' Best and Community Choice Awards: 2009
- ATI Automation Honors: 2010 (Overall subcategory; Java subcategory)
- "Supported Application Types".
- "System Requirements for TestComplete".
- Bridgwater, Adrian (May 25, 2011). "SmartBear Tests The Adobe Honey Pot | Dr Dobb's". Drdobbs.com. Retrieved April 11, 2012.
- By edited by Della Wyser, March 14, 2007 (March 14, 2007). "Jolts 2007: Testing | Dr Dobb's". Drdobbs.com. Retrieved April 11, 2012.
- "Winners of the 18th Jolt Product Excellence Awards & Recipients of the Jolt Productivity Awards | Dr Dobb's". Drdobbs.com. May 7, 2008. Retrieved April 11, 2012.
- Riley, Mike (December 1, 2010). "Jolt Product Excellence Award: Testing and Debugging | Dr Dobb's". Drdobbs.com. Retrieved April 11, 2012.
- Riley, Mike (May 21, 2013). "Jolt Awards: The Best Testing Tools | Dr Dobb's". Drdobbs.com. Retrieved June 10, 2013.
- "ASP .NET Pro".
- "2009 Windows IT Pro Editors' Best and Community Choice Awards".
- "2nd Annual ATI Automation Honors".