|Founder(s)||Joseph and Edward Tetley|
|Parent||Tata Global Beverages|
Tetley is a British beverage manufacturer, is the world's second largest manufacturer and distributor of tea. Tetley's manufacturing and distribution business is spread across 40 countries and sells over 60 branded tea bags. It is the largest tea company in the United Kingdom and Canada and the second largest in the United States by volume. It is a wholly owned subsidiary of Tata Global Beverages (formerly Tata Tea).
After Tetley was purchased by the Tata Group in 2000, most of its business in Asia was integrated with Tata Tea and the company planned to completely integrate its worldwide business with Tata Tea by 2006. The new group, Tata Tea Group, later renamed Tata Global Beverages, is the second largest manufacturer of tea in the world after Unilever.
In 1822, brothers Joseph and Edward Tetley sold salt from a pack horse in Yorkshire, England. They started to sell tea and the venture became such a success that they set up as tea merchants "Joseph Tetley & Co." in 1837. They relocated to London in 1856 and set up "Joseph Tetley & Company, Wholesale Tea Dealers". It was the first company to sell tea in tea-bags in the United Kingdom in 1953.
The Tetley Group was created in July 1995 as a result of a buy-in management buy-out, when a group of investors bought the worldwide beverage business from Allied Domecq. The Tetley Group was bought by India's Tata Group in February 2000 for £271 million. It was one of the largest overseas acquisitions by an Indian company at that time. Tata Group is one of India's largest business conglomerates comprising more than 100 companies including Tata Global Beverages. The acquisition has helped Tata's business ambitions to hold a global tea company. As India reduces import duties on tea, Tata Global Beverages has offset its reduced share of the domestic market by gains in Europe and North America.
- tata.com : Tetley's fiscal show to jazz up Tata Tea results Archived 11 November 2006 at the Wayback Machine
- "History of Tetley Tea". Tea Infusion. Retrieved 2008-04-25.
- Tata Global Beverages - Brand Detail
- Tetley USA - History of Our Tea Company
- BrandsTell. Tetley's history
- The Tetley Group Limited: Private Company Information - Businessweek
- tata.com : Tetley purchase at £ 271 million Archived 11 November 2006 at the Wayback Machine
- Chamberlain Sonitpur, Gethin (1 March 2014). "India's tea firms urged to act on slave trafficking after girls freed". www.theguardian.com. The Observer. Retrieved 1 March 2014.