Teton County, Montana
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2007)|
|Teton County, Montana|
Teton County Courthouse in Choteau
Location in the state of Montana
Montana's location in the U.S.
|• Total||2,293 sq mi (5,939 km2)|
|• Land||2,272 sq mi (5,884 km2)|
|• Water||20 sq mi (52 km2), 0.9%|
|• Density||2.7/sq mi (1/km²)|
|Time zone||Mountain: UTC-7/-6|
- Pondera County, Montana - north
- Chouteau County, Montana - east
- Cascade County, Montana - south
- Lewis and Clark County, Montana - south
- Flathead County, Montana - west
National protected area
As of the census of 2000, there were 6,445 people, 2,538 households, and 1,761 families residing in the county. The population density was 3 people per square mile (1/km²). There were 2,910 housing units at an average density of 1 per square mile (0/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 96.31% White, 0.19% Black or African American, 1.52% Native American, 0.09% Asian, 0.42% from other races, and 1.47% from two or more races. 1.13% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 26.0% were of German, 14.2% Norwegian, 9.9% English, 8.9% American and 8.8% Irish ancestry according to Census 2000. 92.7% spoke English and 6.1% German as their first language.
There were 2,538 households out of which 31.60% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.10% were married couples living together, 5.90% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.60% were non-families. 27.30% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.90% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.51 and the average family size was 3.09.
In the county the population was spread out with 27.30% under the age of 18, 6.10% from 18 to 24, 24.60% from 25 to 44, 25.40% from 45 to 64, and 16.60% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 97.00 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.00 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $30,197, and the median income for a family was $36,662. Males had a median income of $25,794 versus $18,389 for females. The per capita income for the county was $14,635. About 12.20% of families and 16.60% of the population were below the poverty line, including 25.60% of those under age 18 and 8.40% of those age 65 or over.
- Choteau (county seat)
- John Edward Erickson, later Governor of Montana, served as county attorney of Teton County from 1897 to 1905.
Joe DeYong (artist, sculptor, illustrator, Hollywood movie technical advisor and protege of Charles M. Russell) lived in Choteau from July 1914 to January 1924.
- List of cemeteries in Teton County, Montana
- List of lakes in Teton County, Montana
- List of mountains in Teton County, Montana
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Teton County, Montana
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Montana Place Names from Alzada to Zortman. Helena, MT: Montana Historical Society Press. 2009. p. 262.
- "2010 Census Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. August 22, 2012. Retrieved November 30, 2014.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 30, 2014.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved November 30, 2014.
- "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 30, 2014.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 30, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|Flathead County||Chouteau County|
|Cascade County and Lewis and Clark County|