Teton County, Montana
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2007)|
|Teton County, Montana|
Teton County Courthouse in Choteau, Montana
Location in the state of Montana
Montana's location in the U.S.
|• Total||2,293 sq mi (5,939 km2)|
|• Land||2,273 sq mi (5,887 km2)|
|• Water||20 sq mi (52 km2), 0.87%|
|• Density||3/sq mi (1/km²)|
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 2,293 square miles (5,940 km2), of which, 2,273 square miles (5,890 km2) of it is land and 20 square miles (52 km2) of it (0.87%) is water.
- Pondera County, Montana - north
- Chouteau County, Montana - east
- Cascade County, Montana - south
- Lewis and Clark County, Montana - south
- Flathead County, Montana - west
|Flathead County||Chouteau County|
|Cascade County and Lewis and Clark County|
National protected area
As of the census of 2000, there were 6,445 people, 2,538 households, and 1,761 families residing in the county. The population density was 3 people per square mile (1/km²). There were 2,910 housing units at an average density of 1 per square mile (0/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 96.31% White, 0.19% Black or African American, 1.52% Native American, 0.09% Asian, 0.42% from other races, and 1.47% from two or more races. 1.13% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 26.0% were of German, 14.2% Norwegian, 9.9% English, 8.9% American and 8.8% Irish ancestry according to Census 2000. 92.7% spoke English and 6.1% German as their first language.
There were 2,538 households out of which 31.60% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.10% were married couples living together, 5.90% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.60% were non-families. 27.30% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.90% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.51 and the average family size was 3.09.
In the county the population was spread out with 27.30% under the age of 18, 6.10% from 18 to 24, 24.60% from 25 to 44, 25.40% from 45 to 64, and 16.60% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 97.00 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.00 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $30,197, and the median income for a family was $36,662. Males had a median income of $25,794 versus $18,389 for females. The per capita income for the county was $14,635. About 12.20% of families and 16.60% of the population were below the poverty line, including 25.60% of those under age 18 and 8.40% of those age 65 or over.
- John Edward Erickson, later Governor of Montana, served as county attorney of Teton County from 1897 to 1905.
- List of cemeteries in Teton County, Montana
- List of lakes in Teton County, Montana
- List of mountains in Teton County, Montana
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Teton County, Montana
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Census 2010 Gazetteer Files". Retrieved July 2, 2013.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.