|Systematic (IUPAC) name|
Tetrahydrocannabinolic acid (THCA, Δ9-THCA, 2-COOH-THC), is a biosynthetic precursor of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the active component of Cannabis. When purified, it forms a powder which is unstable in the presense of acids, heat, oxygen, and/or light.
THCA does not have any known psychoactive effects on humans in its own right. It does have antiinflammatory, neuroprotective, antiemetic (anti-vomitting) and anti-prostate cancer effects. It inhibits COX-1 and COX-2 enzymes involved in inflammation in human colon cell cultures. It has also been shown to decrease the amount of oxidative stress caused by impairment of mitochondria which is a major mechanism in neural degeneration in mouse mesencephalic cell cultures.
Despite the ready decarboxylation by drying or heating ex vivo, conversion of THCA to THC in vivo appears to be very limited, giving it only very slight efficacy as a prodrug for THC. Consequently it is believed to be important in less-psychoactive preparations of cannabis used for medical use, such as cannabis tea.
THCA is commonly used as a biomarker in drug testing along with THCV, to distinguish between prescribed synthetic Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, such as Marinol, and cannabis plant material which may also be used by patients.
THCA is not scheduled at the federal level in the United States, but it is possible that THCA could legally be considered an analog of THC and sales or possession could potentially be prosecuted under the Federal Analogue Act.
- Baker PB, Taylor BJ, Gough TA. (Jun 1981), "The tetrahydrocannabinol and tetrahydrocannabinolic acid content of cannabis products", Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology 33 (6): 369–72, doi:10.1111/j.2042-7158.1981.tb13806.x, PMID 6115009
- Sirikantaramas S, Morimoto S, Shoyama Y, Ishikawa Y, Wada Y, Shoyama Y, Taura F. (2004-09-17), "The gene controlling marijuana psychoactivity: molecular cloning and heterologous expression of Delta1-tetrahydrocannabinolic acid synthase from Cannabis sativa L.", Journal of Biological Chemistry 279 (38): 39767–74, doi:10.1074/jbc.M403693200, PMID 15190053
- Moore C, Rana S, Coulter C. (2007-06-01), "Simultaneous identification of 2-carboxy-tetrahydrocannabinol, tetrahydrocannabinol, cannabinol and cannabidiol in oral fluid", J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 852 (1-2): 459–64, doi:10.1016/j.jchromb.2007.02.016, PMID 17321807
- Taura F. (Jun 2009), "Studies on tetrahydrocannabinolic acid synthase that produces the acidic precursor of tetrahydrocannabinol, the pharmacologically active cannabinoid in marijuana", Drug Discoveries and Therapeutics 3 (3): 83–7, PMID 22495534
- Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinolic Acid (Δ9-THCA) @ Aphios.com
- Zoller O, Rhyn P, Zimmerli B. ("2000"), "High-performance liquid chromatographic determination of Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol and the corresponding acid in hemp containing foods with special regard to the fluorescence properties of Δ9–tetrahydrocannabinol", Journal of Chromatography A 872: 101–110 Check date values in:
- Dussy FE, Hamberg C, Luginbühl M, Schwerzmann T, Briellmann TA. (2005-04-20), "Isolation of Delta9-THCA-A from hemp and analytical aspects concerning the determination of Delta9-THC in cannabis products", Forensic Science International 149 (1): 3–10, doi:10.1016/j.forsciint.2004.05.015, PMID 15734104
- Starks, Michael (1990). Marijuana Chemistry: Genetics, Processing, Potency. Ronin Publishing. ISBN 978-0-9141-7139-3.
- Ruhaak LR, Felth J, Karlsson PC, Rafter JJ, Verpoorte R, Bohlin L. (2011), "Evaluation of the cyclooxygenase inhibiting effects of six major cannabinoids isolated from Cannabis sativa", Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin 34 (5): 774–8, doi:10.1248/bpb.34.774, PMID 21532172
- Moldzio R, Pacher T, Krewenka C, Kranner B, Novak J, Duvigneau JC, Rausch WD. (2012-05-07), "Effects of cannabinoids Δ(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol, Δ(9)-tetrahydrocannabinolic acid and cannabidiol in MPP(+) affected murine mesencephalic cultures", Phytomedicine 19 (8-9): 819–24, doi:10.1016/j.phymed.2012.04.002, PMID 22571976
- De Petrocellis L, Ligresti A., Moriello A.S., Iappelli M., Verde R., Stott C.G., Cristino L., Orlando P., and Di Marzo V. (2013-01-01), "Non-THC cannabinoids inhibit prostate carcinoma growth in vitro and in vivo: pro-apoptotic effects and underlying mechanisms", British Journal of Pharmacology 168 (1): 79–102, doi:10.1111/j.1476-5381.2012.02027.x, PMC 3570006
- Jung J, Meyer MR, Maurer HH, Neusüss C, Weinmann W, Auwärter V. (Oct 2009), "Studies on the metabolism of the Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol precursor delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinolic acid A (Delta9-THCA-A) in rat using LC-MS/MS, LC-QTOF MS and GC-MS techniques", Journal of Mass Spectrometry 44 (10): 1423–33, doi:10.1002/jms.1624, PMID 19728318
- Hazekamp A, Bastola K, Rashidi H, Bender J, Verpoorte R. (2007-07-15), "Cannabis tea revisited: a systematic evaluation of the cannabinoid composition of cannabis tea", Journal of Ethnopharmacology 113 (1): 85–90, doi:10.1016/j.jep.2007.05.019, PMID 17604926
- Radünz L, Westphal F, Maser E, Rochholz G. (2012-02-10), "THCVA-A - a new additional marker for illegal cannabis consumption", Forensic Science International 215 (1-3): 171–4, doi:10.1016/j.forsciint.2011.03.001, PMID 21454026
- §1308.11 Schedule I.