|Headquarters||Hillsboro, Oregon, USA (since 2011)|
|Key people||Larry Teufel, President
Teufel Nursery is a family-owned landscaping company based in Hillsboro, Oregon, United States. Founded in 1890, the company maintains existing and installs new landscaping for commercial, government, and residential customers. The company has about 200 employees. It was based in Portland until the 1940s, then in the unincorporated Cedar Mill area until 2007. Its headquarters have been in eastern Hillsboro since fall 2011.
Gustav Teufel founded the nursery company in 1890 in the West Hills of Portland. Later, and for about 60 years, the company also operated a large wholesale nursery on Barnes Road, in the Cedar Mill area, acquiring the property in 1946 and moving its headquarters to that site. The company closed its operation in Cedar Mill in 2007, when the approximately 90-acre (0.36 km2) property was sold for redevelopment, and moved its headquarters back to its original West Hills site, on Miller Road in Portland.
In September 1997, the Portland Business Journal reported that Terry Thornton, a former sales manager of the "Wholesale Horticultural Supplies Division" of Teufel Nurseries, was installed as the 62nd president of the Oregon Association of Nurserymen (now called the Oregon Association of Nurseries). The Oregonian reported that Teufel Nursery, in partnership with Pivot Landscape Architecture and Cistus Nursery, installed a green roof on the M Financial Center in the Pearl District of downtown Portland in 2009.
The company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection as well as filing a countersuit in June 2009 when its primary lender, Textron, sued for immediate payment on a $5.9 million note after the drop in the housing market and the recession reduced revenues from a high of $45 million annually in 2006 to around $32 million projected. Teufel, while still being solvent and profitable, experienced difficulties securing new creditors and decided to operate on a cash-only basis and scale back its operations, liquidating a portion of its assets in 2010. Before entering bankruptcy, the company employed more than 500. In June 2011, Teufel repaid its major creditors in full.
Teufel Nursery is currently owned and managed by Gustav's great grandchildren Larry, Linda and Tina Teufel. Significant customers of the company have included OHSU, Portland Rose Garden, Bonneville Power Administration, Microsoft, the Portland World Trade Center, and the White House. The Teufel family also owns and operates Teufel Holly Farms, Inc. which sells holly and evergreens during the winter season and supplies holiday wreaths and garlands for the annual Oregon Episcopal School Christmas Wreath & Holiday Greens Sale. The company was still based in Portland in mid-2011, but it relocated its headquarters in fall 2011 to the Tanasbourne area of Hillsboro, Oregon, on the west side of the Portland metropolitan area.
- "Teufel Nursery Inc. Overview". Portland Business Journal. Retrieved May 13, 2007.[dead link]
- Harrington, Patrick (March 14, 2002). "Teufel adds branch to nurseries: retail". The Oregonian. West Zoner section, p. 11.
- Hudson, Cindy (March 15, 2007). "Neighborhood Roundup, Cedar Mill: Teufel Nursery returns to its original site". The Oregonian. MetroWest Neighbors section, p. 20.
- "Oregon Nurserymen name president". September 30, 1997.
- Manning, Jeff (August 13, 2009). "Teufel Nursery struggles to secure new financing". The Oregonian. Retrieved 2009-08-14.
- Culverwell, Wendy (June 15, 2011). "Teufel hits post-bankruptcy milestone". Portland Business Journal. Retrieved 11 April 2012.
- Mortenson, Eric (February 4, 2010). "Teufel Nursery clears bankruptcy, paying off debts". The Oregonian. Retrieved February 5, 2010.
- Barnwell, Alison (October 23, 2011). "Turmoil in Oregon's nursery industry: Historic slump followed the boom". The Oregonian. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- Culverwell, Wendy (February 1, 2010). "Teufel Nursery exits bankruptcy". Portland Business Journal.
- "About Teufel Nursery". Teufel Nursery. Archived from the original on February 8, 2007. Retrieved May 12, 2007.
- Green party takes over the White House
- "Teufel Holly Farms, Inc.". Archived from the original on October 20, 2007. Retrieved May 12, 2007.
- OES - Christmas Wreath & Holiday Green Sale
- "Contact Us". Teufel Nursery & Landscape. Archived from the original on September 7, 2011. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- "Contact Us". Teufel Nursery & Landscape. Archived from the original on November 10, 2011. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- "Contact Us". Teufel Nursery, Inc. Retrieved December 1, 2013.