Texts From Last Night
|This article is outdated. (September 2011)|
|Texts From Last Night|
|Web address||Texts From Last Night|
|Slogan||Remember that text you shouldn't have sent last night? We do.|
Type of site
|47,520 (April 2014[update])|
The texts are sent in by people who wake in the morning "to find regrettable messages sent to or from their mobile phones". The receiver then sends the allegedly discovered text into this website. The copies of the messages do not show the phone numbers, but only area codes. Since the texts are often similar to late night drunk dials, they're often graphic and sexual in nature, thus not safe for work.
From a sociological perspective, the website is a "living document of twentysomething life in 2009". While TFLN has many "blackout drinking, sex, and vomit stories", there is also an extended discussion taking place about morality. The texts show how humans "interact with drugs and alcohol". "We see the cause and effect of last night’s party, and we can see a real-time weighing of these actions." However, there is concern that peoples' actions and texts will be affected by the existence of the website and its popularity.
Six months after the website went up, the two creators of TFLN signed a deal to pen a book, wherein they will use the most entertaining texts. The book will be published by Gotham Books, which is part of the Penguin Group. Erin Malone, from William Morris Endeavor also helped other blogs translate into books, including Stuff White People Like, The Book of Awesome, and Soul Pancake.
- Susan C. Blackberry Sync: "Oh, About Last Night…How Bout Texts From Last Night?" July 23, 2009.
- "Textsfromlastnight.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- Terrence O'Brien. Switched: "TextsFromLastNight.com Collects wasted Text Messages". Apr 29, 2009.
- WHAS11: "Website makes millions laugh with our private texts". July 19, 2009.
- Tim Walker. The Evening Herald: "The best way to land a book deal -- start a silly blog". July 29, 2009.
- UrbanDaddy: "Last Night's Party Lines: Textsfromlastnight.com: Just What It Sounds Like". April 29, 2009.
- Text From Last Night http://www.textsfromlastnight.com/about/
- Caleb Bacon. LAist: "Umm... About Your Texts From Last Night...". May 1, 2009.
- WBAL: AM 1090: "WARNING: Texts From Last Night". April 28, 2009.
- David Mekelburg. Splice Today: "Overnight Sociology: Texts From Last Night offers a better glimpse of life-as-lived than any other social networking site". June 3, 2009.
- Susan Thurston. St. Petersburg Times: "The best drunken, embarrassing, raunchy text messages, all on one site". June 5, 2009.
- Leon Neyfakh. The New York Observer: "Book Based on 'Texts From Last Night' Blog Sold to Gotham". June 26, 2009.
- Andreeva, N. Silvio Horta To Develop Comedy Series For Fox Based on Texts From Last Night Blog Deadline.com (October 3, 2011).
- Texts From Last Night BlackBerry Application http://textsfromlastnight.com/blackberry/
- Texts From Last Night iPhone Application http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=324906070&mt=8
- Geek Sugar: "Texts From Last Night Gets a Free BlackBerry App". July 24, 2009.
- Mobile Marketer: "TextsFromLastNight gets back to basics with mobile app". August 14, 2009.
- Texts From Last Night, official website