View of Thagarapuvalasa Town
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||+91-8933-XXX XXX|
|Nearest city||Visakhapatnam, Vizianagaram, Bheemunipatnam|
Thagarapuvalasa or Tagarapuvalsa is a busy commercial center and town along the banks of River Gosthani is a part of Greater Visakhapatnam Municipal Corporation of Visakhapatnam of Andhra Pradesh. It is located on the Kolkata–Chennai National Highway 5.
National Highway 43 diverts from Maharajupeta village north of Thagarapuvalasa. A post office is located at Chittivalasa (twin town of Tagarapuvalasa)with pin code 531162.
Traces of habitation and early trade in and around Thagarapuvalasa may be dated back to 3rd century BC or more as many Early Buddhist sites such as Pavurallakonda, Gudiwada Dibba, Cherukupalli Gutta and Pellikonda, are explored, documented and excavated near to this town along the River Gosthani. This area once flourished as Madhyama Kalinga region.
Thagarapuvalasa and Chittivalasa are twin towns and located at 17°55′52″N 83°25′44″E.
Chittivalasa Jute Mill
Chittivalasa Jute Mill is located at Thagarapuvalasa town, 30 KM from Visakhapatnam city. A Hindu Temple dedicated to Lord Rama with marble construction is located near the Jute Mills.
City buses (Metro & Ordinary) run from Visakhapatnam to Thagarapuvalasa (Route no: 222). Auto rickshaws are also popular which connect the town to nearby towns such as Vizianagaram, Bheemunipatnam and Anandapuram. Bheemunipatnam Beach is 6 km away from Tagarapuvalasa.
Some important educational institutions have come up in the nearby locality in the past decade. Some of the faculty and students live in the town.
- Avanthi Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Avanthi Institute Of Engineering & Technology
- NRI Institute of Medical Sciences, NRIIMS
Cinemas are major source of entertainment for the people of the town. There are in total 4 operational cinema halls.
- Tata Theatre (A/C), Main Road
- Ganesh Theatre (A/C), Bheemli Road
- Saptagiri Theatre (A/C), Kothapeta
- Ramallamma Theatre
- "Mandal wise list of villages in Andhra Pradesh". Apland.ap.nic.in. Retrieved 2013-09-07.
- Aditya Madhav. "Bharatha Darshini: Tagarapuvalasa: Ancient Commercial Center on NH5". Bharathadarshini.blogspot.in. Retrieved 2013-09-07.
- "Welcome to the Indiapost Website". Indiapost.gov.in. Retrieved 2013-09-07.
- B. Madhu Gopal (2012-10-09). "Evidence of Buddhist site found". The Hindu. Retrieved 2013-09-07.
- "Buddhist remains site at kotta cherukupalli (Tagarapuvalasa) | interesting place". Wikimapia.org. Retrieved 2013-09-07.
- "Pellikonda Buddhist Site | place with historical importance, archaeological site, interesting place". Wikimapia.org. Retrieved 2013-09-07.
- "Maps, Weather, Videos, and Airports for Chittivalasa, India". Fallingrain.com. Retrieved 2013-09-07.
- "Chittivalasa Jute Mills to reopen soon". The Hindu. 2011-09-08. Retrieved 2013-09-07.