Thailand at the 2014 Winter Olympics
|Thailand at the Olympic Games|
|At the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi|
|Competitors||2 in 1 sport|
|Flag bearer||Kanes Sucharitakul (opening
|Olympic history (summary)|
Thailand competed at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia from 7 to 23 February 2014. Thailand's team consisted of two athletes competing in one sport. This marks the return of the country back to the Winter Olympics after missing the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, Canada.
According to the final quota allocation released on January 20, 2014, Thailand had two athletes (one male and one female) in qualification position. Thailand had two male athletes that met the standard, and chose to send the one that was born in Thailand and had qualified for more events. Kanes Sucharitakul finished the giant slalom in 65th position (out of 72 athletes who completed the race). However he did not complete the slalom race.
Vanessa Vanakorn, a classical violinist who performs under the name Vanessa-Mae, and whose father is from Thailand, also competed for the country. She qualified on the last day of qualification by her results in a series of four races in Slovenia; the International Ski Federation (FIS) subsequently determined that those races were rigged to give her the number of FIS points necessary to be able to take part in Sochi. Vanakorn finished in 67th position in her only race, last among the athletes who completed both runs. Her time was over 50 seconds behind the winner Tina Maze of Slovenia.
|Athlete||Event||Run 1||Run 2||Total|
|Kanes Sucharitakul||Men's giant slalom||1:37.82||73||1:37.24||65||3:15.06||65|
|Vanessa Vanakorn||Women's giant slalom||1:44.86||74||1:42.11||67||3:26.97||67|
- "Sochi 2014 Opening Ceremony - Flagbearers". http://www.olympic.org/. Sochi 2014 Olympic and Paralympic Organizing Committee. 7 February 2014. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- "Sochi 2014 Closing Ceremony - Flagbearers". The International Olympic Committee (IOC). February 23, 2014. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- "Summary of Quota allocation as per 20.01.2014". www.fis-ski.com. FIS. 20 January 2014. Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- ส่งคเณศลุยศึกโอลิมปิกฤดูหนาวที่รัสเซีย7-23ก.พ.นี้ (in Thai). 15 January 2014. Retrieved 15 January 2014.
- "Thailand’s Kanes Sucharitakul Finishes 65th In Sochi Winter Olympic’s Giant Slalom". Chiang Rai Times (Krasnaya Polyana, Russia). 19 February 2014. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- "Violinist Vanessa-Mae switches her bow for ski poles as she puts music on ice to compete in Winter Olympics". The Independent (Reuters). 22 January 2013. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- "Vanessa-Mae aims for Sochi 2014". Bangkok Post. 22 January 2013. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- "Athlete:Vanakorn Vanessa". www.fis-ski.com. International Ski Federation. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- Williams, Ollie (19 January 2014). "Violinist Vanessa Mae set to compete at Winter Olympics". BBC. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- Brian Homewood. "Alpine skiing-Violinist Mae gets four-year ban over manipulation". Reuters. Retrieved 11 November 2014.
- Chadband, Ian (18 February 2014). "Vanessa-Mae slowest in giant slalom to place 67th and last of the finishers at Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 18 February 2014.