Thales Nederland B.V. (formerly Hollandse Signaalapparaten B.V. or in short Signaal) is a subsidiary of Thales Group involved primarily in naval defence systems (sensors, radars and infrared systems). Other areas of business include air defence, communications, optronics, cryogenic cooling systems and navigation products.
The company was founded in 1922 in Hengelo as NV Hazemeyer's Fabriek van Signaalapparaten by Hazemeyer and Siemens & Halske for the development of naval fire-control systems. It was way to get around the restrictions of the Treaty of Versailles which did not allow German companies to manufacture military equipment.
In 1956 the majority of Signaal shares were purchased by Philips, a Netherlands-based electronics company. Between 1956 and the end of the Cold War Signaal's business expanded to the point where it had customers in 35 countries and over 5,000 employees.
In 1990 Philips decided defence was not a core activity and sold Signaal to Thomson-CSF, a French electronics and defence contractor. Signaal became Thomson-CSF Signaal. With the renaming of Thomson to Thales in 2000 Thomson-CSF Signaal became Thales Nederland.
- APAR (Active Phased Array Radar) multi-function radar
- SMART-L long range air surveillance radar
- S1850M radar
- SMART-S search radar (current version is SMART-S Mk2)
- DA08 radar
- LW08 radar
- MW08 radar
- VARIANT 2D air and surface search radar
- SCOUT low probability of intercept surface search radar
- STIR fire control system with fire control and illumination radar (current version is STIR-IK Mk2)
- STING EO fire control system with fire control radar and electro-optical director
- SIRIUS infra-red search, track and surveillance system for anti-shipping missile defense
- IRSCAN infra-red search, track, and surveillance system (replaced by SIRIUS)
- LIOD fire control system with electro-optic director
- LIROD fire control system with fire control radar and electro-optic director
- Mirador (TEOOS) fire control system with electro-optic director
- Rapids ESM system
- SeaMaster 400 SMILE air warning radar
- SeaWatcher 100 active phased-array surface detection and tracking radar
- GateKeeper infra-red/electro-optical (EO) warning system.
- Goalkeeper CIWS
- M8 (TSM 2072) torpedo fire-control system
- M20 / WM20 / Mk 92 weapon control system and miniature combat systems
- M40 weapon control system
- MOC Multi-Operator Consoles
- SEWACO-FD Command and weapon control system architecture
- SINBADS / Spectrum Submarine fire-control combat systems
- SOTAS "Signaal Onboard Two-wire Audio System", a vehicle intercomsystem
- SmartNet Multimedia network for use in vehicles
- Signaal UA 1137 Night vision device
- TACTICOS Combat Management System
- Official website
- Thales Nederland "History: Thales Nederland B.V. goes back a long way." Retrieved Jan. 18, 2005.
|This Netherlands-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a manufacturing company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|