Thalidomide!! A Musical
Thalidomide!! A Musical is a British musical written and composed by Mat Fraser, who was born with phocomelia as a result of the drug thalidomide being taken during his mother's pregnancy. Fraser and Anna Winslet play all the roles in the show.
The production tells the story of a love affair between Glyn, a thalidomide victim (Fraser) and an able-bodied woman, Katie Crawford (Winslet), attracted by his phocomelia. Fraser calls the story a "cartoon version" of his own life. Winslet won the role in part because she did not shirk at an audition request to mimic Fraser himself.
- "Monster Babies"
- "I'll Be His Arms"
- "It's Hard To Hitch Down Life's Highway With No Thumbs"
- "Talk to the Flipper ('Cause the Face Don't Care)"
The Daily Telegraph summarized the show as "sharp and original, but not for the squeamish". One Wolverhampton councilor, Malcolm Gwinnett, criticised the show, arguing that, "To exploit people in this way is, frankly, sick", while Fraser said that, "It makes Jerry Springer look tame".
- NoBody's Perfect, a 2009 documentary film
- Mat Fraser on why he felt compelled to write Thalidomide!! A Musical | | Guardian Unlimited Arts
- Sharp and original, but not for the squeamish - Telegraph
|This musical theatre related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|