|Created by||Terence Frisby|
|Written by||Terence Frisby|
|Directed by||John Stroud|
Alice May Wilkinson
|No. of series||4|
|No. of episodes||26|
|Executive producer(s)||John Kaye Cooper
|Running time||30 minutes
|Production company(s)||Lawson Group
|Distributor||ABC Family Worldwide|
|Original run||19 January 1988– 24 March 1992|
Series 1 and 2 are fairly straightforward sitcom fare, with very little in the way of story arcs or connecting episodes. Much of the comedic content is concentrated on Donald and Patsy continuing to learn about one another despite several years together. In the first episode, Donald discovers his wife has not told him the whole truth concerning her life before they married - specifically, how many previous sexual partners she has had. The last episode of the second series reveals that, despite appearances from their photograph album, Donald and Patsy are not actually married.
The third series focuses on an affair between Donald and his client Laurel (Liza Goddard), which unfortunately kicks off just after Patsy and Donald finally tie the knot, leading to their visiting a marriage guidance counsellor in the first episode of the fourth and final series. The counsellor, Tristan Beasley (Tony Slattery) falls in love with Patsy, and they'll embark on an affair, but Patsy, realising she won't feel the same way about Tristan, ends the relationship. In the final moment of the series, Patsy runs to Donald's arms, apologising to him for what she has done - it is left up to the viewer to decide whether the couple's marriage is doomed or they may be able to rescue their relationship.
Four series were made, produced by Humphrey Barclay and directed by John Stroud. All 26 episodes were written by Terence Frisby, and it was executive produced by John Kaye Cooper, Sarah Lawson and Gill Stribling-Wright.
- Romy Chasan - Owen child
- Matt Cole - Redfern child
- Nicolas Colicos - Hank
- Liza Goddard - Laurel Manasotti
- Diana Hardcastle - Patsy Redfern
- Zoe Hodges - Redfern child
- Phyllida Law - Babs
- Vivienne McKone - Olive
- Lloyd Meikle - Owen child
- Robin Meredith - Geoffrey
- Jimmy Mulville - Donald Redfern
- Ralph Nossek - Victor
- Lynne Pearson - Amanda Owen
- Neil Pearson - Gary (series 2-4)
- Matthew Perry - Owen child
- Eleanor Puttock - Owen child
- Tony Slattery - Tristan Beasley
- Rob Spendlove - Gary (series 1)
- Alice May Wilkinson - Owen child
- Diana Hardcastle had given birth to her first child, Alice May Wilkinson (Diana is married to actor Tom Wilkinson) prior to beginning filming of the second series - Alice is credited in the series playing the baby son of the Redfern's friends Amanda and Gary.
- Diana continued to film the fourth series despite suffering from chickenpox - at the time she was pregnant with her second daughter Molly.
- Taylor, Rod (1994) The guinness book of sitcoms - Guinness. ISBN 0-85112-638-3.
- TV times magazine, 1992 (feature on the first episode of the fourth series).