That's What I Am
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2011)|
|That's What I Am|
|Directed by||Michael Pavone|
|Produced by||Michael Pavone|
|Written by||Michael Pavone|
|Narrated by||Greg Kinnear (uncredited)|
|Music by||James Raymond|
|Edited by||Marc Pollon|
|Distributed by||Samuel Goldwyn Films|
|Box office||$6,400 (domestic)|
That's What I Am is a 2011 comedy-drama film directed by Michael Pavone and starring Ed Harris and Chase Ellison. It received a limited release on April 29, 2011, and was later released on DVD on July 15, 2011.
A coming-of-age story set in 1965 that follows 12-year-old Andy Nichol (Chase Ellison), a bright student who, like most kids his age, will do anything to avoid conflict for fear of suffering overwhelming ridicule and punishment from his junior high school peers. Everyone's favorite teacher, Mr. Simon (Ed Harris), pairs Andy with the school's biggest outcast and social pariah, Stanley, aka "Big G" (Alexander Walters), on a critical term project. Sporting thick orange hair, a head too big for his body and ears too big for his head, "Big G" has been the object of ridicule since grade school. Before long, Andy will learn that there was truly a method behind Mr. Simon's madness as to why he teamed these two up. As the story unfolds, Mr. Simon finds himself the target of a malicious rumor after Principal Kelner (Amy Madigan) suspends a school bully for brutally beating up a female classmate whom he thinks has "cooties." When Andy watches "Big G" fearlessly confront the school bully, a series of events are triggered which change the lives of both young men - and their teacher - forever. Much to Andy's surprise, "Big G" is a brilliant, kind, tolerant and decent human being who has more dignity than anyone Andy has ever encountered.
- Ed Harris as Mr. Simon
- Molly Parker as Mrs. Nichol
- Amy Madigan as Principal Kelner
- Chase Ellison as Andy Nichol
- Randy Orton as Ed Freel
- Daniel Roebuck as Mr. Nichol
- Mia Rose Frampton as Mary Clear
- Cameron Deane Stewart as Carl Freel
- Daniel Yelsky as Norman Gunmeyer
- Alexander Walters as Stanley "Big G" Minor
- Camille E. Bourgeois III as Jason Freel
- Jordan Reynolds as Ricky Brown
- Brett Lapeyrouse as Bruce Modak
- Greg Kinnear as Narrator (uncredited)
- "That's What I Am - Box Office Data". The Numbers. Retrieved 2011-07-26.
- Lowenstein, Lael (February 16, 2011). "That's What I Am". Variety. Retrieved 2011-02-22.