That's What You Get
|"That's What You Get"|
|Single by Paramore|
|from the album Riot!|
|Released||March 24, 2008 (radio)|
|Label||Fueled by Ramen|
|Paramore singles chronology|
"That's What You Get" is a song by the American rock band Paramore. This is the second Australian single, third U.S. single and the fourth UK single from Riot!. The single has been confirmed by MTV and Fueled by Ramen. The song was released on radio on March 22 in Australia and on March 24 in the U.S.
The song was certified Gold in the United States on December 12, 2008, selling over 500,000 copies.
The music video, directed by Marcos Siega, was shot in Nashville, Tennessee, on March 2 and March 3, 2008. MTV2 released the official music video on March 24, 2008. The music video shows the band playing in a living room with clips of a relationship of two lovers (Aaron Holmes of Death in the Park and Jenna Galing, both from Richmond VA) and a small gathering of the band's friends and family. The friends and family are having a good time taking pictures, talking, and listening to music. One of the lovers seems to be connected to one of the band members. The two soon go to the gathering where the boy meets someone (maybe an ex-girlfriend) and starts to flirt with her. As the boy continues to spend more time with the other girl, his girlfriend sits on a near couch watching them. As soon as they start holding hands, the girlfriend leaves and starts crying. The end shows the two lovers taking a picture of themselves kissing on a cell phone (before they separated) and all the people rushing out the living room, knocking over the couch and leaving a record spinning.
The music video was shot just over a week after Paramore cancelled their European tour to work on "personal issues", amidst media speculation of the band breaking up. Hayley Williams (lead vocals/keyboard) explained that, given the fragile state of the band, they all thought it best if they kept the shoot low-key, surrounding themselves with their friends and family, keeping it simple.
Hayley added "We had tons of friends there, and it really just felt like a hangout session. And Marcos was so cool about it. He said, 'Bring your friends.' We shot it in some of our friends' houses, and it just felt so real ... and I think it's the first time in a video you're gonna get to see who we really are."
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||92|
|New Zealand (RIANZ)||35|
|UK Singles (The Official Charts Company)||55|
|US Billboard Hot 100||66|
|US Alternative Songs (Billboard)||36|
|US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)||26|
|US Pop 100 (Billboard)||18|
- "Paramore comes out swinging at Susquehanna Bank Center". NJ.com. Retrieved November 20, 2014.
"That's What You Get," a pop-punk firecracker from the band's second album...
- Annie Zaleski (July 9, 2009). "Review + Photos + Setlists: No Doubt, Paramore and Bedouin Soundclash at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, Wednesday, July 8". RFTmusic. Retrieved November 20, 2014.
...standouts including the power-pop "That's What You Get"...
- ["Paramore RIAA certifications]". http://www.riaa.com. Retrieved November 20, 2014.
- "Rock Band 2 Complete Track List Revealed". ign.com. Retrieved 2008-07-14.
- "Paramore Cancel European Tour, Say They Need Time Off To Deal With 'A Lot Of Internal Issues'". mtv.com. Retrieved 2008-04-09.
- "Paramore Explain Why 'That's What You Get' Video Shoot Was Top Secret". mtv.com. Retrieved 2008-04-09.
- http://uk.launch.yahoo.com/c/uk/single_charts.html UK Singles Chart
- "RIAA". RIAA. Retrieved 2013-06-29.
- "Paramore singles sales". Yahoo. Retrieved 2013-06-29.