That's the Way God Planned It
|That's the Way God Planned It|
|Studio album by Billy Preston|
|Released||22 August 1969 (UK)
10 September 1969 (US)
|Recorded||late 1968; April–July 1969
undisclosed studio, Los Angeles; Abbey Road Studios, London; Olympic Studios, London
|Genre||Soul, rock, gospel|
|Producer||George Harrison; Wayne Shuler|
|Billy Preston chronology|
|Singles from That's the Way God Planned It|
That's The Way God Planned It is the fourth studio album by American musician Billy Preston, released in August 1969 on Apple Records. The album followed Preston's collaboration with the Beatles on their "Get Back" single and was produced by George Harrison. The title track became a hit in the UK when issued as a single. Aside from Harrison, other contributors to the album include Keith Richards, Eric Clapton and Doris Troy.
1969 liner notes
Derek Taylor's sleevenotes to the original Apple release praised Preston as a wonderful new signing. "Billy Preston is the best thing to happen to Apple this year. He’s young and beautiful and kind and he sings and plays like the son of God."
Preston himself wrote in the notes:
|“||Music is my life and every day I live it, and it’s a good life to everything I want to say through music it gets to you. I may not be the best around but I’m surely not the worst. I learned to play and sing since the age of three, you don’t know how glad I am God laid his hands on me. Apple is the Company for all people that know where it’s at and love love peace love joy and all mankind. I am very grateful to be a part of it. It won’t be long before we change the whole system that holds and keeps the artist’s mind messed up. All thanks must be given to the fab Beatles. People should realize that what they have gone through has not been in vain and they are using it to the best of their ability.||”|
In his preview of Apple Records' 2010 reissues, for Rolling Stone, David Fricke listed That's the Way God Planned It among his top five non-Beatle Apple albums. Fricke wrote of the song "That's the Way God Planned It": "[Preston] would have bigger hits in the Seventies but never make a better one than this album's rapturous title track … The rest of the album is solid church-infused soul, with Preston covering both Bob Dylan and W.C. Handy."
All songs by Billy Preston, except where noted.
- "Do What You Want" – 3:44
- "I Want to Thank You" – 3:13
- "Everything's Alright" (Preston, Doris Troy) – 2:44
- "She Belongs to Me" (Bob Dylan) – 4:09
- "It Doesn't Matter" – 2:41
- "Morning Star" (W.C Handy, Mack David) – 3:20
- "Hey Brother" (Preston, Jesse Kirkland) – 2:34
- "What About You" – 2:10
- "Let Us All Get Together (Right Now)" (Preston, Troy) – 4:06
- "This Is It" (Preston, Troy) – 2:45
- "Keep It to Yourself" – 2:47
- "That's the Way God Planned It" (Parts 1 & 2) – 5:34
CD bonus tracks (1991 and 2010 remasters)
- "Through All Times" – 3:58
- "As I Get Older" (Preston, Sly Stone) – 3:42
- "That's the Way God Planned it" (alternate, previously unreleased version) – 4:13
New bonus track (added to 2010 remaster)
- "Something's Got to Change" (Preston, Arthur Fullilove, Melvin Ray Jernigan) – 2:12
- Billy Preston – vocals, piano, organ, tack piano, backing vocals; electric piano (CD bonus tracks only)
- George Harrison – electric and acoustic guitars, Moog synthesizer, sitar
- Eric Clapton – electric guitar
- Keith Richards – bass
- Ginger Baker – drums, tambourine
- Doris Troy – backing vocals
- Madeline Bell – backing vocals
- John Barham – string arrangements
- unconfirmed/unknown players on Wayne Shuler sessions – electric guitar, bass, drums, horns, congas, tambourine, backing vocals
- Billboard 19 Oct 1968 - Page 82 "expected to reach the R&B SINGLES Chart BILLY PRESTON-Hey Brother (Beechwood, BMI). CAPITOL 2309 "
- Eder, Bruce. That's the Way God Planned It at AllMusic. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- David Fricke, "Apple Records' Top Five Albums", 10 July 2010 (retrieved 29 August 2014).