|Founder(s)||Jenny Biggam and Mark Jarvis|
the7stars is a British media agency. The organization develops promotional content and television advertising, along with social media marketing for clients, who have included music labels Cooking Vinyl, EMI Records, and Atlantic Records. In 2008, Marketing magazine listed the agency as #34 in the Top 50 Media Agencies in the world, rising from #53 in 2007.
the7stars was established in 2005, by Jenny Biggam, Mark Jarvis, and Colin Mills, along with a group of senior management from media agency Carat UK, who developed the organisation to compete with independent media agencies. The opportunities afforded the agency, by working in direct competition with independent groups provided an advantage in the marketplace, which had been slow to develop due to prohibitively high start-up costs that were commonplace, but feasible for large media agency networks. The funding required for the creation of the agency came from private individuals, rather than from "venture capitalists or a media network", making the7stars the first "high-profile media and planning agency to launch since Christine Walker set up Walker Media in 1997". The name of the agency was chosen by Mills, who chose the name in honor of a "pub in Holborn near Carat's headquarters".
In 2009, the7stars conducted research on the effect the global economic downturn had on media consumption in the UK. It was reported that older consumers had stated that, if prices for newspapers increased, 46 percent would stop buying newspapers. There was also an overall increase in expectation for media such as newspapers to be free and freely available.
- Staff writer (November 20, 2008). "The7stars wins media account for Cooking Vinyl,". Marketing Week. Retrieved 2012-04-25. (subscription required (. ))
- Arif Durrani (2008-10-28). "The7Stars wins EMI Records planning account worth £4m". Marketing. Retrieved 2012-04-26.
- Sophie Maden (2011-10-20). "The7stars scoops Atlantic media job". PR Week. Retrieved 2012-04-25.
- Staff writer (2009-05-13). "Top 50 Media Agencies". Marketing. Retrieved 2012-12-09. (subscription required)
- Staff writer (2005-09-01). "Ex-Carat chiefs to launch own media shop". Marketing Week. Retrieved 2012-12-09. (subscription required)
- "the7stars IPA Member Agency". Institute of Practitioners in Advertising. 2011-10-20. Retrieved 2012-12-09.
- Catherine Turner (2006-07-20). "Consortium aims to tip scales for media planning". Marketing Week. Retrieved 2012-12-09. (subscription required)
- Darren Davidson (2006-01-27). "Media: All About ... Independent media agencies". Campaign. Retrieved 2012-12-09.
- Jeremy Lee (2005-09-01). "Former Carat MD Mills names media start-up the7stars". Campaign. Retrieved 2012-12-09.
- Alexandra Taylor (2009-06-10). "Recession and free media expansion impact further on media consumption patterns, research shows". MediaWeek. Retrieved 2012-12-09.