The A to Z Symphony
The A to Z Symphony (full title The A to Z Symphony: Music Appreciation 101 - For Kids) is a direct-to-video DVD release by Classical Fun Music. Symphony consists of 26 one-minute-long videos, set to classical music. The series of vignettes runs 32 minutes long.
According to its packaging it "Makes College-Level Music Education as Easy as A-B-C!". The disc was aimed at children 0 to 5 years old.
- A - Apple and Arrow: William Tell Overture by Rossini
- B - Butterfly: Spring from The Four Seasons by Vivaldi
- C - Crab: Symphony No. 40 by Mozart
- D - Dolphin: The Blue Danube by Strauss
- E - Earth: Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven
- F - Flag, Fireworks: The 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky
- G - Goat: Autumn from The Four Seasons by Vivaldi
- H - Horse: Scheherazade by Rimsky-Korsakov
- I - Ice Cream: Sonata No. 11 by Mozart
- J - Jump: The Russian Dance from The Nutcracker Suite by Tchaikovsky
- K - Kick: Symphony No. 5 by Beethoven
- L - Letters: The Anvil Chorus by Verdi
- M - Monkey, Mandrill: Eine Kleine Nachtmusik by Mozart
- N - Numbers: Flight of the Bumblebee by Rimsky-Korsakov
- O - Orange: Voices of Spring by Strauss
- P - Peacock: Fanfare-Rondeau by Mouret
- Q - Queen: Love is a Wild Bird from Carmen by Bizet
- R - Rabbit: Peter and the Wolf by Prokofiev
- S - Sea Lion: Air by Bach
- T - Tea Party: Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 by Bach
- U - Umbrella: Fuer Elise by Beethoven
- V - Vegetables: Marche du Toreador from Carmen by Bizet
- W - Waterfall: Ride of the Valkyries from The Ring by Wagner
- X - Xylophone: The Chinese Dance from The Nutcracker Suite by Tchaikovsky
- Y - Yo-Yo: The Marriage of Figaro by Mozart
- Z - Zoo: Ode to Joy from Symphony #9 by Beethoven
Stevanne Auerbach, PhD, known as "Dr. Toy" included the DVD in the "Dr. Toy Best Vacation Products" list. Dr. Auerbach's awards act as a "service to consumers who desire to purchase safe, affordable and stimulating products for children that focus on high-quality education, and creative and unique content."
The Coalition for Quality Children's Media (Kids First) rated "The A to Z Symphony" an "All Star." According to their website "Every title is evaluated in terms of its appeal, content, production quality and developmental benefits. To be endorsed, it must be approved by both adult and children jurors."
Creative Child Magazine, a bi-monthly publication that provides parents with the latest information on how to nurture their child's creativity, gave the video their "Preferred Choice Award."
Learning Magazine, published by and for teachers, presented the video their “Teacher’s Choice Award for the Family.” According to their website, “Teachers who are also parents choose the best tools for at-home learning.”
"The A to Z Symphony" was praised when reviewed in the Chicago News Sun's Family Time Magazine, where they wrote “It's impossible to mention all 26 segments which range from spectacular, enchanting and beautiful to educational, adorable and fun.” The American Library Association's Booklist Magazine declared the video is “Filled with appealing shots of children and animals, the footage easily fits the music. Innovative and appealing.” Also, The Midwest Book Review wrote about the title, “A popular and recommended addition to family, preschool, and community library DVD collections.”
- The A to Z Symphony, official site
Awards Listing Sites