The Accidental Gangster and the Mistaken Courtesan
|The Accidental Gangster and the Mistaken Courtesan|
|Directed by||Yeo Kyun-dong|
|Produced by||Cha Seung-jae
|Written by||Lee Hwa-seong
Kim Suk Hoon
|Distributed by||Sidus FNH|
|Running time||103 minutes|
The Accidental Gangster and the Mistaken Courtesan (Hangul: 1724 기방난동사건; RR: 1724 Gibang-nandong sageon; literally "Gibang riot in 1724") is a 2008 South Korean film. Described as a "comic action film", The Accidental Gangster and the Mistaken Courtesan depicts the gangster culture of Joseon Dynasty Korea, and is based on an actual fight that occurred at a kisaeng house in 1724. The film was directed by Yeo Kyun-dong, and stars Lee Jung-jae—in his first film role for three years—alongside Kim Ok-bin. Costumes for the film were created by fashion designer André Kim.
The film is set in Joseon Dynasty Korea, 1724. Cheon-doong, a hoodlum from a small village, meets and falls in love with Seol-ji, a kisaeng at Myeongwolhyang, a luxurious bar. One day he gets into a fight with the head of the Yangjoo gang, but later faces a crisis when the palace decides to crack down on gang activity at Myeongwolhyang. In his pursuit of Seol-ji, Cheon-doong inadvertently incurs the anger of the top-ranking gangster in the area, Man-deuk (Kim Suk Hoon).
- Lee Jung-jae ... Cheon-doong
- Kim Ok-bin ... Seol-ji
- Kim Suk Hoon ... Man-deuk
- Baek Do-bin ... Se-jae
- Yeo Gyoon-dong ... Jjak-gwi
- Lee Won-jong ... Chil-gab
- Jeong Jae-hyeong ... Bong-dal
- Jo Deok-hyeon ... Sam Gook-ji
- Lee Won-jae ... Excellency Song
- Hong Seok-cheon ... Suit store owner (cameo)
- "Boxofficemojo" Boxofficemojo. Retrieved 2012-06-04
- Moon Seok. "Count on the Autumn Harvest!". Korean Film Observatory #26, pp. 36. Korean Film Council, 2008. Retrieved on 14 November 2008.
- "Lee Makes Big-Screen Comeback After 3 Years". KBS Global, 31 January 2008. Retrieved on 14 November 2008.
- "[ChanMi's movie news] "Geisha House Riot" releasing one day earlier!". HanCinema, 30 November 2008. Retrieved on 4 December 2008.