The Aliens (Scottish band)
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (September 2010)|
|Labels||EMI/Pet Rock Records|
|Associated acts||The Beta Band|
The Aliens are a Scottish band consisting of former Beta Band members Gordon Anderson (aka Lone Pigeon, lead vocals, guitar), John Maclean (keyboards, backing vocals) and Robin Jones (drums, backing vocals). They formed in 2005 following the split of The Beta Band the previous year.
Influenced by artists such as The Beach Boys, The Stone Roses, The Who, The Beatles, David Bowie, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan and T. Rex, The Aliens have a more upbeat and psychedelic pop sound, compared to The Beta Band.
Their first release, the EP Alienoid Starmonica, recorded by John Williamson, was released to the UK iTunes Music Store on 20 March 2006, and on CD and 12" on 8 May 2006 on their own EMI imprint, Pet Rock.
The Aliens released their first album, Astronomy for Dogs, on 19 March 2007. Astronomy for Dogs was recorded in The Cave, the small recording space beneath the Forest Cafe in Edinburgh before being put onto disc at Olympic Studios in London. The band produced it themselves. The release was timed to coincide with a ten-date UK tour but this had to be canceled due to Gordon Anderson breaking his clavicle climbing up a tree. The tour was rescheduled to May/June of that same year. In October 2007 they toured North America.
In spring of 2008, the band cancelled all shows except their festival appearances due to the increasing ill health of Gordon Anderson during the recording of the second album; however, on his recovery the band completed a string of UK festival dates in July. The new album, Luna was released on 29 September 2008 and was preceded by the single "Magic Man", released on 22 September.
- Alienoid Starmonica (8 May 2006)
- The Sunlamp Show EP (18 May 2009)
- "The Happy Song" (18 September 2006)
- "Setting Sun" (5 March 2007)
- "Robot Man" (25 June 2007)
- "Magic Man" (22 September 2008)
- The Aliens official website
- The Aliens on Myspace
- Beta Band fansite featuring latest news on The Aliens
- The Aliens video session on Vic Galloway Show on Radio Scotland - 6 October 2008
- The Aliens discography at MusicBrainz
- "The Happy Song" on YouTube
- "Magic Man" on YouTube
- "Billy Jack Live at The Caves in Edinburgh Directed by John WIlliamson May 2007" on YouTube