The Allman Brothers Band (album)
|The Allman Brothers Band|
|Studio album by The Allman Brothers Band|
|Released||November 4, 1969 (US)|
Atlantic Recording Studios, New York
|Genre||Southern rock, blues rock|
|The Allman Brothers Band chronology|
"Dreams" and "Whipping Post" would become the basis for two of The Allman Brothers' most famed epic concert numbers. Lester Bangs said of the album: "... it is consistently is subtle, and honest, and moving."
In April 1969 the Allman Brothers Band moved from Jacksonville, Florida to Macon, Georgia. They first rented a house at 309 College Street. The front album cover photo was taken at the entrance of the College House (now owned by Mercer University) next door at 315 College Street. The back cover photo of the album was taken at the Bond Tomb at Rose Hill Cemetery located at 1091 Riverside Drive in Macon.
"Don't Want You No More" is an instrumental cover of a 1967 song by The Spencer Davis Group.
All songs by Gregg Allman except as noted.
- "Don't Want You No More" (Spencer Davis, Edward Hardin) – 2:29
- "It's Not My Cross to Bear"* – 4:48
- "Black Hearted Woman" – 5:20
- "Trouble No More" (McKinley Morganfield) – 3:47
- "It's Not My Cross to Bear" ends in a fade-out on most LP, tape and CD editions of the album. However, original Atco Records LP pressings of the album (catalog no. SD 33-308) follow the fade-out with a "fade-in" to a cold close, adding several seconds to the song's running time.
- "Every Hungry Woman" – 4:16
- "Dreams" – 7:19
- "Whipping Post" – 5:19
- Duane Allman – slide guitar and lead guitar
- Gregg Allman – vocals, organ
- Dickey Betts – lead guitar
- Berry Oakley – bass guitar, backing vocals
- Butch Trucks – drums
- Jai Johanny "Jaimoe" Johanson – drums, congas
- Eder, Bruce. The Allman Brothers Band at AllMusic
- Bangs, Lester (February 21, 1970). The Allman Brothers Band, Rolling Stone
- The Allman Brothers Band Album Guide, Rolling Stone
- Scaruffi, Piero (1999). "Allman Brothers". pieroscaruffi.com. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- g, manos (January 19, 2014). "Review: CD The Allman Brothers Band - The Allman Brothers Band Album". sputnikmusic. Retrieved 2014-02-17.