The Amazing Race: A Corrida Milionária
|The Amazing Race:
A Corrida Milionária
|Season run||13 October 2007
– 5 January 2008
|Filming dates||15 August 2007
– 17 September 2007
|No. of episodes||13|
|Winning team||Patrícia & Sane|
|States visited||12 (10 states, 2 regions)|
|Distance traveled||15,000 kilometres (9,300 mi)|
|No. of legs||13|
The Amazing Race: A Corrida Milionária (English: The Millionaire Race) was a Brazilian version of the popular franchised reality television show The Amazing Race. Hosted by Rony Curvelo, it was independently produced and aired in a purchased time slot in the Brazilian television network RedeTV!. The show premiered on 13 October 2007 and ended on 5 January 2008.
Friends Patricia & Sane were the winners of the race.
- 1 Production
- 2 Results
- 3 Prizes
- 4 Race summary
- 4.1 Leg 1 (São Paulo → Rio de Janeiro)
- 4.2 Leg 2 (Rio de Janeiro → Minas Gerais)
- 4.3 Leg 3 (Minas Gerais → Bahia)
- 4.4 Leg 4 (Bahia → Alagoas)
- 4.5 Leg 5 (Alagoas → Rio Grande do Norte)
- 4.6 Leg 6 (Rio Grande do Norte → Ceará)
- 4.7 Leg 7 (Ceará → Amazonas)
- 4.8 Leg 8 (Amazonas → Distrito Federal)
- 4.9 Leg 9 (Distrito Federal → São Paulo)
- 4.10 Leg 10 (São Paulo → Paraná)
- 4.11 Leg 11 (Paraná)
- 4.12 Leg 12 (Paraná → Chile)
- 4.13 Leg 13 (Chile)
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Development and filming
The Amazing Race: A Corrida Milionária covered 15,000 km in 33 days. The race was held most of the time in Brazil while it traveled outside to Chile for final two legs, becoming the fewest countries to be visited in the Amazing Race franchise until The Amazing Race: China Rush.
The series adopted the rules from the American version's tenth and eleventh seasons. With the exception of the Intersection, all clue types were retained in the Brazilian version, as well as the non-elimination penalty. This race also differed from the original format in that while teams leave the pit stops in the same order they arrived, the time differences were not always respected. The penalty for not completing a Roadblock is also shorter. Route markers are colored yellow and green, reflecting the Brazilian national colours, as opposed to yellow and red in most other versions. Also, contrary to other Amazing Race versions, the eliminated teams did not make an appearance at the finish line. Additionally, this is the first route whereby the race did not end in the same country as it started.
Notably, in Leg 6, while driving to the pit stop, Andréa & Luciana were held up at gunpoint by three men at a stoplight in Fortaleza. The team did not lose anything, but the criminals took the camera and all personal documents from the crew, and ran off as gunshots were fired by the police. Two of the men were later caught and identified, and the camera was recovered. This incident dropped the team from 4th to last place, and no time credit was given for the situation. Part of the robbery was filmed and shown in the sixth episode. In Leg 13, Perri & Maristela became the first team to quit the race in a final leg, after refusing to perform the first task.
Applications for the first season were open from January until July 2007, and filming occurred in South America during August and September. Narciso & Marcelo are the first openly gay couple to participate in a Brazilian reality show. While Eduardo previously participated in the Brazilian reality game show "Sem Saída", in which he won R$50,000.
The following teams participated in the Race, with their relationships at the time of filming. Placements are listed in finishing order:
|Team||Relationship||Position (by leg)||Roadblocks
|Patrícia & Sane||Friends||3rd||4th||2nd||5th||6th||3rd||5th||3rd||4th||3rd5||1st||2nd||1st||Patrícia 6, Sane 6|
|Jonatas & Rafael||Friends||2nd||1st||9th||1st||2nd||2nd||4th||2ndƒ||3rd||4th5||3rd||3rd||2nd||Jonatas 5, Rafael 6|
|Perri & Maristela||Married||1st||3rd||4th||4th||3rd||1st||1st||4th||1st||2nd5||2nd||1st||3rd8||Perri 6, Maristela 5|
|Jorge & Silvia||Married||4th||7th||5th||7th||4th2||5th||3rd||5th||2nd||1stƒ||4th||4th7||Jorge 6, Silvia 4|
|Débora & Daniela||Sisters||8th||5th||7th||3rd||7th||4th||2nd||1st||5th||5th5,6||Débora 6, Daniela 3|
|Andréa & Luciana||Sisters||9th||8th||6th||6th||1st||7th3||6th4||6th||Andréa 5, Luciana 2|
|Milene & Jaqueline||Friends||5th||2nd||8th||8th||5th2||6th||7th||Milene 4, Jaqueline 2|
|Mari Lice & Tâmisa||Mother/Daughter||6th||6th||3rd||2nd||8th||Mari Lice 2, Tâmisa 2|
|Carlos & Eduardo||Father/Son||7th||9th||1stƒ||9th||Carlos 2, Eduardo 1|
|Narciso & Marcelo||Life Partners||10th||10th||Narciso 1, Marcelo 1|
|Sandro & Daniel||Cousins||11th||Sandro 0, Daniel 1|
- A red team placement indicates that the team was eliminated, and A bold and italicised red team placement indicates that the team was disqualified under different circumstances (see below).
- An underlined blue team placement indicates that the team came in last on a non-elimination leg of the race and was "Marked for Elimination"; if the team did not finish 1st on the next leg, they would receive a 30-minute penalty.
- A green ƒ indicates that the team won a Fast Forward clue.
- A yellow > indicates that the team chose to use the Yield; < indicates the team who received it; <> around the leg number indicates that the Yield for that leg was available but not used.
- ^ In Leg 3, all teams except Carlos & Eduardo (who took the Fast Forward) completed the Roadblock together and were assessed a 30 minute penalty. Therefore, that Roadblock is not counted in this tally.
- ^a b Jorge & Sílvia and Milene & Jaqueline arrived at the Pit Stop 4th and 5th respectively, but both teams took an illegal shortcut by driving in the wrong direction on a one-way street. They left in 5th and 6th place respectively at the beginning of Leg 6 after they were assessed a 25-minute penalty.
- ^ Andréa & Luciana and their film crew were robbed at gunpoint during the leg. By the time the film crew recovered their belongings and were allowed to continue racing, they dropped to last place.
- ^ Andréa & Luciana initially arrived 5th, but were issued a 30-minute penalty because they were "marked for elimination" and did not arrive 1st. Patrícia & Sane checked in during their penalty time, dropping them to 6th.
- ^a b c d Sane, Jonatas, Maristela and Débora were unable to complete the roadblock task at leg 10; their teams were all issued 3-hour penalties at the Roadblock site.
- ^ Débora & Daniela had been "marked for elimination". However, since they arrived last, they were eliminated without being assessed the 30-minute penalty.
- ^ Jorge & Sílvia arrived 3rd, but were issued a 30 minute penalty for being "marked for elimination" and not arriving 1st. During this time, Jonatas & Rafael - the only team trailing Jorge & Silvia at that point - checked in during their penalty time and were eliminated before the 30 minutes elapsed.
- ^ During the first task in the final leg, Perri & Maristela were disqualified for quitting.
- Leg 1 – A holiday to Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Leg 2 – A holiday to Salvador, Bahia.
- Leg 3 – A holiday to Natal, Rio Grande do Norte.
- Leg 4 – A holiday to Rio de Janeiro.
- Leg 5 – A holiday to Angra dos Reis, Rio de Janeiro.
- Leg 6 – A holiday to Salvador, Bahia.
- Leg 7 – A holiday to Curitiba, Paraná.
- Leg 8 – A holiday to Curitiba, Paraná.
- Leg 9 – A holiday to Recife, Pernambuco.
- Leg 10 – A holiday to Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Leg 11 – A holiday to Rio de Janeiro.
- Leg 12 – A holiday to Machu Picchu, Peru.
- Leg 13 – R$500,000 BRL.
|Destinations||Air travel Rail travel Water travel Bus travel|
|Route Markers||Desvio (Detour) Obstáculo (Roadblock) Passe Livre (Fast Forward) Passe de Espera (Yield) Parar (Pit Stop)|
Leg 1 (São Paulo → Rio de Janeiro)
Airdate: October 13, 2007
- São Paulo, São Paulo , Brazil (Ibirapuera Park) (Starting Line)
- São Paulo (Congonhas-São Paulo International Airport) to Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro (Santos Dumont Airport)
- Rio de Janeiro (Morro da Urca)
- Rio de Janeiro (Morro da Urca or Santa Teresa (Portuguese))
- Rio de Janeiro (Corcovado)
- Rio de Janeiro (Praça XV)
- Baía da Guanabara (Rio de Janeiro - Niterói ferry)
- Petrópolis (Palácio Quitandinha (Portuguese))
- Petrópolis (Palácio de Cristal)
- Petrópolis (Pousada da Alcobaça)
The Detour for this leg was Aventurar (Adventure) and Procurar (Search). In Aventurar, teams rappeled down Morro da Urca. In Procurar, teams had to ride a tram to the historical district of Santa Teresa, find Laurinda Santos Lobo Cultural Center and retrieve the clue from a man outside that building. The Roadblock was to correctly identify with signs five specific vegetables patches amongst dozens in the garden.
- Additional task
- In the ferry, Teams had to search among hundreds of passengers for someone named Shimiko, without knowing their gender, ethnicity or age. This person would hand them their next clue.
Leg 2 (Rio de Janeiro → Minas Gerais)
Airdate: October 20, 2007
- Petrópolis (Shopping Plaza)
- Ouro Preto, Minas Gerais (Praça Tiradentes (Portuguese))
- Ouro Preto (Museu da Inconfidência (Portuguese))
- Ouro Preto (Mina de Santa Rita)
- Mariana (Train station)
- Mariana (Mina da Passagem)
- Santa Bárbara (Santuário do Caraça (Portuguese))
The Roadblock was to climb down deep into the mine and use the tools provided to dig a gold nugget. The Detour for this leg was Atar (Tie) and Desviar (Dodge). In Atar, teams had to tie six kinds of knots following a demonstration. In Desviar, both team members had to run through a paintball field and retrieve a flag from the other side without being hit by the shots fired.
- Additional task
- Teams had to acquire 14 flowers in the city to lay one for each martyr of the Inconfidência Mineira buried in the Museum.
Leg 3 (Minas Gerais → Bahia)
Airdate: October 27, 2007
- Belo Horizonte (Tancredo Neves International Airport) to Salvador, Bahia (Deputado Luís Eduardo Magalhães International Airport)
- Salvador (Largo do Pelourinho (Portuguese))
- Salvador (Terreiro de Candomblé Tira-Teima)
- Salvador (Mercado Modelo and Praça da Sé)
- Salvador (Farol da Barra (Portuguese))
- Salvador (Praça 15 de Novembro)
- Salvador (Filhos de Ghandy (Portuguese) Cultural Center or Largo de Santo Antônio)
- Salvador (Convento do Carmo (Portuguese))
The Roadblock was to find out what were the four food items mentioned in Ary Barroso's song "No Tabuleiro da Baiana": vatapá, carurú, munguzá, and umbú. The team member had to purchase these items and present them to the baiana standing in the Praça da Sé. The Detour for this leg was Vestir (Dress) and Andar (Walk). In Vestir, teams had to find the Filhos de Ghandy Cultural Center and dress a mannequin in an orisha costume, using a photograph for reference. In Andar, teams had to walk to the faraway Largo de Santo Antônio and find a capoeira circle. In the first Fast Forward of the race, both members had to shave their heads and make a hair offering to the orishas.
Leg 4 (Bahia → Alagoas)
Airdate: November 3, 2007
- Salvador (Deputado Luís Eduardo Magalhães International Airport) to Maceió, Alagoas (Zumbi dos Palmares International Airport)
- Maceió (Pajuçara)
- Maceió (Monumento aos Marechais)
- Marechal Deodoro (Recanto do Paraíso)
- Piaçabuçu (São Francisco River estuary)
- Penedo (Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Corrente)
- Jequiá da Praia (Dunas de Marapé (Portuguese))
The Roadblock was to retrieve a clue and ten mangrove crabs from a tank. The Detour was Decifrar (Decipher) and Quebrar (Break). In Decifrar, teams had to translate a phrase from archaic Portuguese and find the monument described. In Quebrar, teams had to break clay pot lids and find a small clue baked inside one of them.
- Additional tasks
- At Pajuçara beach, teams had to dig sand piles to find the next clue.
- Before the detour, teams had to search the entire church for a secret passageway used to hide slaves in the past. The clue would be hidden inside.
Leg 5 (Alagoas → Rio Grande do Norte)
Airdate: November 10, 2007
- Natal, Rio Grande do Norte (Bus Terminal)
- Natal (Farol de Mãe Luiza (Portuguese))
- Maxaranguape (Portuguese) (Ma-Noa Park (Portuguese))
- Parnamirim (Centro de Lançamento da Barreira do Inferno)
- Extremoz (Portuguese) (Genipabu dunes)
- Natal (Forte dos Reis Magos)
The Roadblock was to assemble a small rocket, transport it and position it in a launch pad. The Detour was Com Emoção (With Thrills) and Sem Emoção (Without Thrills). In Com Emoção, teams had to take a thrill ride in a dune buggy. In Sem Emoção, teams had to conduct a dromedary camel across a dune.
- Additional tasks
- At the park, teams had to swim among the coral reefs and find clues attached to three buoys.
- Before the roadblock, teams had to learn the proper way to address a high-ranking military official, and ask him for the clue.
- After the Detour, teams had to sled down a steep dune.
Leg 6 (Rio Grande do Norte → Ceará)
Airdate: November 17, 2007
- Beberibe, Ceará (Praia de Uruaú)
- Beberibe (Falésias de Morro Branco)
- Beberibe (Capela de São Pedro)
- Fortaleza (Praia de Mucuripe)
- Fortaleza (Pirata Bar, Pier Inglês (Portuguese))
- Fortaleza (Centro Dragão do Mar de Arte e Cultura)
- Fortaleza (Praça do Ferreira (Portuguese))
- Fortaleza (Mercado Encetur)
- Aquiraz (Wind Power Plant)
The Detour for this leg was Nadar (Swim) and Remar (Row). In Nadar, teams had to swim with a bodyboard to a raft a short distance away. In Remar, teams had to kayak a longer distance to a marked sailboat. The Roadblock was to climb the mast of the ship and retrieve a clue.
- Additional tasks
- On their dune buggy ride to Morro Branco, teams had to collect three flags. If they missed any, they had to go back and find them.
- At the Falésias de Morro Branco, teams had to search among the labyrinth of sand cliffs for their next clue.
Leg 7 (Ceará → Amazonas)
Airdate: November 24, 2007
- Fortaleza (Pinto Martins International Airport) to Manaus, Amazonas (Eduardo Gomes International Airport)
- Presidente Figueiredo (Fazenda Marupiara (Portuguese))
- Manaus (Teatro Amazonas)
- Manaus (Porto Ceasa)
- Manaus (Meeting of the Waters)
- Manaus (Porto de Manaus)
- Novo Airão (Restaurante Boto-Cor-de-Rosa)
- Iranduba (Pousada Amazônia archway)
- Iranduba (Sateré-Mawé tribe)
The Detour for this leg was Aventurar (Adventure) and Sobreviver (Survival). In Aventurar, teams had to complete a rope course in the trees, which included a rope bridge and ziplines. In Sobreviver, teams had to assemble an arapuca, an indigenous trap for catching small birds and mammals, with the materials provided. The Roadblock was to carry a 10 kg tambaqui fish to the free market.
- Additional tasks
- At the restaurant, teams had to feed six fish to pink river dolphins to receive their next clue.
- At the archway, teams had to row across the Rio Ariaú in a canoe.
Leg 8 (Amazonas → Distrito Federal)
Airdate: December 1, 2007
- Manaus (Eduardo Gomes International Airport) to Brasília, Distrito Federal (Brasília International Airport)
- Brasília (Torre de TV)
- Brasília (Academia de Tênis (Portuguese))
- Brasília (Memorial Juscelino Kubitschek (Portuguese))
- Brasília (Bus Terminal)
- Brasília (Gardens outside the Congresso Nacional)
- Brasília (Espaço Galleria dance club or Espaço Cultural Renato Russo)
- Planaltina (Vale do Amanhecer community)
The Roadblock required a racer to whisper a code phrase ("The sky is blue") to people in the bus terminal, until they found a someone who would reply with another phrase ("The sea is green"). Once the racer had found one of the secret agents, they would receive their next clue. The Detour was a choice between Compor (Compose) and Compositor (Composer). In Compor, teams had to go to the Espaço Galleria dance club and perform a rap incorporating the names of all of the pit stops visited so far on the Race. They would only receive the clue if the crowd approved of the song. In Compositor, the teams had to go to the Espaço Cultural Renato Russo, find a copy of the sheet music of the Brazilian national anthem, and then listen to a pianist performing the song for them. In the second Fast Forward of the race, each team member had to score five points against a professional tennis coach.
Leg 9 (Distrito Federal → São Paulo)
Airdate: December 8, 2007
- Brasília (Brasília International Airport) to Guarulhos, São Paulo (São Paulo-Guarulhos International Airport)
- São Paulo (Edifício Copan rooftop)
- São Paulo (Viaduto do Chá (Portuguese))
- Barueri (RedeTV! studios)
- Itu (Base 84 (Portuguese))
- Itu (Kartódromo Schincariol)
- Indaiatuba (Colônia Helvétia (Portuguese))
The Detour in this leg was Terra (Dirt) and Água (Water). In Terra, teams had to complete an off-road track driving a 4x4 vehicle. In Água, teams had to assemble a raft using bamboo and banana tree trunks, and cross a small lake. The Roadblock was for the team member to complete ten laps in a go-kart race.
- Additional tasks
- At the RedeTV! studios, the first team to arrive had to retrieve their clue during a live broadcast of a morning talk show. The remaining teams received their clues outside the set, off camera.
- After the detour, teams had to pitch tents to receive their next clue.
Leg 10 (São Paulo → Paraná)
Airdate: December 15, 2007
- Foz do Iguaçu, Paraná (Bus Terminal)
- Foz do Iguaçu (Parque Nacional do Iguaçu - Macuco Safari)
- Foz do Iguaçu (Parque Nacional do Iguaçu – Poço Preto trail)
- Foz do Iguaçu (Parque Nacional do Iguaçu – Cânion Iguaçu)
- Foz do Iguaçu (Parque Nacional do Iguaçu – Mirante Garganta do Diabo (Portuguese))
- Foz do Iguaçu (Paudimar Youth Hostel)
- Foz do Iguaçu (Triple Frontier landmark)
The Detour in this leg was Subir (Climb) and Pular (Jump). In Subir, each team member had to climb a medium difficulty rock wall. In Pular, each team member had to climb a 15 meter pole and jump to grab a trapeze bar while blindfolded. The Roadblock had one team member eating 2 kilograms of various meat. The Fast Forward required the team to climb 288 steps, rappel down 55 meters, then complete a medium difficulty rafting course.
- Additional task
- At the Poço Preto trail, teams were given three bird names at random, and had to find and identify them amongst pictures posted in trees throughout the trail.
Leg 11 (Paraná)
Airdate: December 22, 2007
- Curitiba (Jardim Botânico)
- Curitiba (Opera de Arame)
- Curitiba (Parque Tingui (Portuguese))
- Curitiba (Drop Dead Skate Park or Figaro Used Book Store)
- Morretes (Railway Station)
- Morretes (Santuário Nhundiaquara (Portuguese))
- Morretes (Metal bridge over the Nhundiaquara River)
- Paranaguá (Porto de Paranaguá (Portuguese))
- Ilha do Mel (Portuguese) (Praia Encantada)
The Detour in this leg was Skate and Sebo (Second-Hand Bookstore). In Skate, teams had to go to Drop Dead Skate Park to assemble a skateboard and perform a medium difficulty skateboarding maneuver. In Sebo, teams had to find Figaro Used Book Store and find three items among the thousands of books, records and magazines sold there. The Roadblock was to dig to find one of four barreados (boiled pieces of meat) in sixty holes.
- Additional task
- Before the detour, teams had to learn and participate in a traditional Ukrainian folk dance.
Leg 12 (Paraná → Chile)
Airdate: December 29, 2007
- Curitiba (Afonso Pena International Airport) to Santiago, Metropolitan Region, Chile (Comodoro Arturo Merino Benítez International Airport)
- Santiago (Chile.com office)
- Santiago (Mall del Centro)
- Santiago (Plaza de Armas or Mercado Central)
- Santiago (Cerro San Cristóbal - Virgin Mary statue)
- Santiago (Home of Pablo Neruda)
- Santiago (Bar and Chile's Library of Congress)
- Valle Nevado
The Detour in this leg was Limpar Botas (Clean Boots) and Limpar Peixes (Clean Fish). In Limpar Botas, teams had to go to the Plaza de Armas and shine 6 pairs of shoes, charging 300 pesos for each. In Limpar Peixes, teams had to transport ten fish in the Mercado Central, gut, skin and fillet four of them, and eat one sea urchin each. The Roadblock required the team member to get a book autographed at a nearby bar, then cart 150 books to Chile's Library of Congress.
- Additional task
- At the Chile.com office, teams received video messages from their loved ones at home.
Leg 13 (Chile)
Airdate: January 5, 2008
- Santiago (Comodoro Arturo Merino Benítez International Airport) to Puerto Montt, Los Lagos Region (El Tepual Airport)
- Puerto Montt (Angelmó Market)
- Ancud, Chiloé Island (Cabañas Gaviotas)
- Dalcahue, Chiloé Island (farm near San Juan)
- Dalcahue (San Juan fishing village)
- Dalcahue (San Juan central plaza)
- Dalcahue (San Juan overlook)
The Final Roadblock required the team member to carry crates filled with apples and crush 1000 apples using farm equipment. The Final Detour in this leg was Casa (House) and Concha (Shell). In Casa, teams had to haul a mobile home out of the lake with the help of two bulls. In Concha, teams had to pull four clam cages out of the water and retrieve 100 clams.
- Additional tasks
- At the market, teams had to each eat 2 kg of smoked clams. Failure to complete this task would be disqualified. After that, Teams then had to carry a small wooden house from the market to Calle Las Queimas to receive their next clue.
- At the fishing village, teams had to paint a boat frame and carry a canoe to their next destination, central plaza.
- "'Corrida milionária': gincana que pagará R$ 500 mil ao vencedor estréia na RedeTV!" (in Portuguese). O Globo. Retrieved 2007-10-14.
- "Dupla já é destaque no 1ª episódio da Corrida Milionária" (in Portuguese). BBC News. 2007-10-15. Retrieved 2007-10-17.
- "Participantes de reality show são assaltadas durante gravações" (in Portuguese). Folha Online. 2007-11-15. Retrieved 2007-11-16.
- "Last episode of the Million Dollar Race (Official Website Recap)" (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2008-01-28.[dead link]
- "Rede TV! estréia reality show com casal gay neste sábado" (in Portuguese). Folha Online. 2007-10-11. Retrieved 2007-10-14.