The Amazing Race: China Rush 2
|The Amazing Race: China Rush
|Season run||August 7, 2011
– October 23, 2011
|Filming dates||May 13, 2011
– June 7, 2011
|No. of episodes||12|
|Winning team||Lily Li & Jan Höpper|
|No. of legs||11|
|Season 1 ◄ Chronology ► Season 3|
The Amazing Race: China Rush (Chinese: 极速前进：冲刺！中国; pinyin: Jísù Qiánjìn: Chōngcì! Zhōngguó) is a Chinese reality television series based on the American reality TV series, The Amazing Race. The second season features 11 teams of two, each with a pre-existing relationship, in a race across 11 cities in China to win a trip to Hoh Xil Natural Reserve and a trip around the world worth CN¥400,000 ($55,662).
American and German dating couple Lily Li & Jan Höpper were the winners of the race.
- 1 Production
- 2 Results
- 3 Prizes
- 4 Race summary
- 4.1 Leg 1 (Shanghai → Zhejiang)
- 4.2 Leg 2 (Zhejiang → Jiangxi)
- 4.3 Leg 3 (Jiangxi → Fujian)
- 4.4 Leg 4 (Fujian → Guangdong)
- 4.5 Leg 5 (Guangdong → Hunan)
- 4.6 Leg 6 (Hunan → Chongqing)
- 4.7 Leg 7 (Chongqing → Yunnan)
- 4.8 Leg 8 (Yunnan)
- 4.9 Leg 9 (Yunnan → Qinghai)
- 4.10 Leg 10 (Qinghai → Shandong)
- 4.11 Leg 11 (Shandong → Shanghai)
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Applications were accepted from March 4, 2011, and ended April 10, 2011. Filming began May 13, 2011, and ended June 7, 2011.
In contrast to the previous season which featured foreign and ex-pat contestants, this season has a mixed cast between native born Chinese and foreigners living in China. All the contestants communicate using a mixture of Chinese and English.
The following teams participated in the Race, with their relationships at the time of filming. Note this table does not necessarily reflect all content broadcast on television due to inclusion or exclusion of some data. Placements are listed in finishing order.
|Team||Relationship||Position (by leg)||Roadblocks1
|Lily & Jan||Dating Couple||3rd||5th||7th||3rd||2nd>||1st||5th⊂||1st||2nd||1st||2nd~||1st||Lily 6, Jan 6|
|Simon & Katherine||Dating Long Distance||6th||8th||6th||6th4||5th||6th||3rd||5th||4th||3rd||3rd+||2nd||Simon 6, Katherine 6|
|Sun Bin & Hao Fei'er||Recording Artists||8th||9th2||1st>||1st||1st||2nd||2nd⋑||2nd||3rd||2nd||1st~||3rd||Sun Bin 6, Hao Fei'er 6|
|Matt & Kylie||International Students in China||10th||7th||2nd||4th4||4th||5th||4th||3rd||1st||4th||4th+||Matt 6, Kylie 5|
|Mary & Cecilia||Cousins/Students in Canada||1st||1st||8th<||7th4||6th<||4th||1st⊃||4th||5th||5th||Mary 5, Cecilia 4|
|Elena & Tameka||Fitness Fanatics||7th||2nd||3rd||2nd||3rd||3rd||6th⋐||6th||Elena 3, Tameka 4|
|Rhett & Howie||30 Year China Veterans||5th||6th||4th||5th4||7th||7th||Rhett 2, Howie 3|
|Summer & Eachen||Newly Dating/Childhood Friends||4th||4th||5th||8th⊃5,6||Summer 0, Eachen 3|
|Xiao Long & Lv Meng||Wushu Coaches||2nd||3rd||9th||Xiao Long 1, Lv Meng 1|
|A Lai & Jackie||Mother/Son||9th||10th3||A Lai 0, Jackie 03|
|Paul & Nash||Expat Teachers||11th||Paul 0, Nash 0|
- A red team placement indicates that the team was eliminated.
- An underlined blue team placement indicates that the team came in last on a non-elimination leg and had to perform a Speed Bump task in the following leg.
- A yellow > indicates that the team chose to use the Yield; < indicates the team who received it.
- A brown ⊃ or a cyan ⋑ indicate that the team chose to use one of the two U-Turns in a Double U-Turn; ⊂ or ⋐ indicate the team who received it.
- Matching colored symbols (orange + and magenta ~) indicate teams who worked together during part of the leg as a result of an Intersection.
- ^ Leg 1 featured an unaired Roadblock. It is only known who completed it of the top four teams.
- ^ Sun Bin & Hao Fei'er were unable to complete the secret code task and elected to take a 2-hour penalty.
- ^ A Lai & Jackie were unable to complete the puzzle task or the secret code task and elected to take two 2-hour penalties. When they arrived at the Lying Dragon Valley after all the other teams had checked in, Allan came to the location (Lying Dragon Valley) and eliminated them.
- ^ Matt, Rhett, Simon and Mary were unable to complete the Roadblock and elected to take a 2-hour penalty.
- ^ Summer & Eachen used their U-Turn power on Sun Bin & Hao Fei'er, who were ahead of them, in order to prevent the other teams from U-Turning Mary & Cecilia. The U-Turn had no effect.
- ^ Summer & Eachen arrived at the Pit Stop in 3rd place but withdrew due to family reasons.
- ^ Leg 9 was a double-length leg with two Detours and two Roadblocks and was shown over two episodes.
The prize for each leg is awarded to the first place team for that leg.
- Leg 1 – A Three day Two night trip for two to Qiandao Lake, Hangzhou.
- Leg 2 – A Three day Two night trip for two to Sanya, Hainan.
- Leg 3 – A Three day Two night trip for two to Hong Kong.
- Leg 4 – A Four day Three night trip for two to Malaysia.
- Leg 5 – A Seven day trip for two to Thailand.
- Leg 6 – A trip for two to Bali, Indonesia.
- Leg 7 – A Seven day trip for two to Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- Leg 8 – A Seven day trip of two to California
- Leg 9 – A Three day Two night trip for two to Hawai'i.
- Leg 10 – A Five day Four night trip for two to Maldives.
- Leg 11 – A trip to Hoh Xil Natural Reserve and a trip around the world worth ¥400,000 ($55,662).
|Destinations||Air travel Rail travel Water travel Bus travel|
|Route Markers||Detour Roadblock Yield Intersection U-Turn Speed Bump Pit Stop|
Leg 1 (Shanghai → Zhejiang)
Airdate: August 7, 2011
- Shanghai, China (Lujiazui Park) (Starting Line)
- Shanghai (Shanghai Hongqiao Railway Station) to Wuzhen, Zhejiang (Wuzhen Railway Station)
- Wuzhen (Wuzhen Monument)
- Wuzhen (Xi Qing Tang Wedding Hall Museum)
- Wuzhen (West Wuzhen Post Office)
- Wuzhen (Foliage Dai Ning Workshop or Syria Chang Sauces)
- Wuzhen (Wenchang Pavilion)
- Wuzhen (An Du Fang Floating Market)
- Wuzhen (East Wuzhen Pharmacy)
- Wuzhen (Jiang Zhe Fen Fu)
In this first Detour of the race, teams had to choose between Hang Out or Dig In. In Hang out, teams went to Foliage Dai Ning Workshop, where teams must successfully hang four different blue calico patterns in traditional bamboo pole drying rack to receive the next clue. In Dig In, teams went to Syria Chang Sauces, identify a "Wuzhen Tong Bao" coin from the owner and search marked vats filled with bean sauce to find the right pair of the said coin. The unaired roadblock required one team member to sit on a floating tub in the lake to catch 5 fishes.
- Additional Tasks
- In Xi Qing Tang Wedding Hall Museum, each team must take a red envelope (hong bao) and bring it to a bride to receive their next clue.
- At the Pharmacy, teams had to search 120 drawers filled with word cards where the words "Jiang", "Zhe", "Fen" and "Fu" are imprinted, They must then arrange the cards to spell out the name of the pit stop.
Leg 2 (Zhejiang → Jiangxi)
Airdate: August 14, 2011
- Wuzhen to Wuyuan, Jiangxi
- Wuyuan (Jiangwan Village)
- Wuyuan (Xintian Village)
- Wuyuan (Yantian Village – Millennium Guzheng)
- Wuyuan (Lying Dragon Valley)
- Wuyuan (Rainbow Bridge)
In this leg's Detour, teams had to choose between Hunters and Gatherers, both of which took place in nearby tea fields. In Hunters, teams had to search the entire field for a tiny, golden tea leaf, which they could exchange for their next clue. In Gatherers, teams went to a different tea field and had to harvest 150 grams of tea leaves to receive their next clue. In this leg's Roadblock, one team member had to climb up a waterfall cascading over a rock face.
- Additional tasks
- At Jiangwan Village, teams had to complete a large puzzle to receive their next clue.
- At the Millennium Guzheng, teams were told to search the rooms for a numerical code. Teams had to figure out that this code could be found by looking at all of the stopped clocks in the rooms (9:28) which corresponded to their code (0928).
Leg 3 (Jiangxi → Fujian)
Airdate: August 21, 2011
- Wuyuan to Jingdezhen
- Jingdezhen to Ningde, Fujian
- Ningde (Niulanggang Beach)
- Niulanggang Beach to Downtown Ningde
- Ningde (North Bank Park)
- Ningde (Mindong Hotel)
- Ningde (She Palace Museum)
In this Detour, teams had to choose between Wheels and Peels. In Wheels, teams had to push a large water tricycle into the water, and then pedal it out to a large inflatable ball. They would then ride back to shore on a banana boat with their ball and, once on shore, could open the ball to find their next clue. In Peels, teams had to ride a Segway across a marked course to a dig site on the beach. They would then have to dig up six different kinds of fruits and exchange them for their next clue. In the Roadblock, one team member had to eat a large serving of blood clams and then drink three glasses of Baijiu.
- Additional task
- At North Bank Park, teams had to ride paddle boats out into the lake and find one of nine clues floating on the water.
Leg 4 (Fujian → Guangdong)
Airdate: August 28, 2011
- Ningde to Guangzhou, Guangdong (Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport)
- Guangzhou to Shaoguan
- Danxia Shan (Lao Shen Men Gate)
- Danxia Shan (Xuanjiyuan Taoist Temple)
- Danxia Shan (Xuan Ji Tai Platform)
- Danxia Shan (Xiafu Village)
- Danxia Shan (Shao Yin Ting Pavilion)
In this Roadblock, one team member had to climb down a rocky cliff using a rope ladder, retrieve their clue from the tops of the trees at the bottom, and then climb back up the rope ladder. In this leg's Detour, teams had to choose between Chasing Chickens and Dancing Lions. In Chasing Chickens, teams travelled to a chicken farm where they had to catch 10 chickens and place them in baskets. In Dancing Lion, teams had to search the town for a lion head, and then search inside specified buildings for the matching tail. They would then have to learn and perform a traditional Chinese Dragon Dance.
- Additional task
- At the Taoist Temple, teams had to transport 35 kg of rice up an extremely steep path.
Leg 5 (Guangdong → Hunan)
Airdate: September 4, 2011
- Guangdong (Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport) to Zhangjiajie, Hunan (Zhangjiajie Hehua Airport)
- Zhangjiajie station to Yellow Dragon Cave
- Wulingyuan (Xiang Xi Farmhouse)
- Wulingyuan (Xiang Xi Theatre)
- Wulingyuan (Xiang Xi Gallery or Baofeng Lake)
- Wulingyuan (Wulingyuan Scenic Mountain)
- Wulingyuan (Tujia Village in Zhangjiajie National Forest Park)
- Wulingyuan (Lianxin Bridge on Hallelujah Mountain)
- Wulingyuan (Bailong Elevator to Bai Long Square)
In this leg's Detour, teams had to choose between Look and Listen (Presented to Chinese-speaking contestants and viewers as Name that View or Name that Tune). In Look, teams travelled to the Xiang Xi Gallery and had to correctly match ten pictures of the famous mountains surrounding Zhangjiajie with their names. If they could get all 10 correct, they would receive their next clue, although there were more than 10 pictures. In Listen, teams travelled to Baofeng Lake and searched the lake on boat for a female singer who was singing four distinct songs, with the corresponding names being displayed. They then had to find a marked cave where a male singer would be singing one of these songs. If they could correctly identify it, they would receive their next clue. If not, they would be required to return to the female singer before being allowed to guess again. In the Roadblock, one team member had to chop onions, garlic and spices in order to make a famous Hunan spice mixture.
- Additional task
- At Xiang Xi Farmhouse, teams had to use hacksaws to cut a bamboo pole filled with Baijiu into four pieces and fill a pot with the baijiu.
Leg 6 (Hunan → Chongqing)
Airdate: September 11, 2011
- Zhangjiajie (Zhangjiajie Hehua Airport) to Chongqing (Chongqing Jiangbei International Airport)
- Chongqing to Wulong County
- Wulong County (Wujiang Bridge)
- Wulong County (Zhang's Lamb Hot Pot Restaurant)
- Shuanghe Town (Highland Vegetable Farm)
- Wulong County (Fairy Mountain)
- Wulong County (Three Natural Bridge)
- Wulong County (People Square)
- Wulong County (Century Square)
In the Speed Bump, Howie & Rhett had to irrigate a cabbage patch by hand, once they had successfully sprinkled 2 buckets of water in their designated cabbage patch they can continue racing. In this Detour, teams had to choose between Roll It or Ride It. In Roll It, teams had to count all the tires along the hill, once their answer was correct they had to get into a Zorb and go down the hill to receive their next clue. In Ride It, teams had to drive a Go-kart in a 2 lap circuit (1 lap each member) in less than 7.30 minutes to receive their next clue, if the team couldn't complete the task in the alloted time, they would have to wash the Go-kart before trying again. In the Roadblock, one team member had to rappel down a ninety-meter cliff before receiving their next clue.
- Additional tasks
- In the Hot Pot Restaurant, teams had to search for 1 marked bottled of Snow beer among 600 others, then teams had to eat 10 plates of lamb to receive their next clue.
- At the farm, teams had to prepare breakfast for the pigs by graining dry corn and mixing it with vegetables in a traditional way. Once the pigs eat their feed, teams would receive the next clue.
Leg 7 (Chongqing → Yunnan)
Airdate: September 18, 2011
- Wulong County (Furong Cave)
- Chongqing (Chongqing Jiangbei International Airport) to Lijiang, Yunnan (Lijiang Airport)
- Lijiang Airport to Zhao Xiong Ge Station
- Lijiang (Naxi restaurant)
- Shuhe, Lijiang (Chama Yingbin Square)
- Shuhe, Lijiang (Feihua Chushui)
- Dayan, Lijiang (Entrance)
- Dayan, Lijiang (Mufu Palace)
This leg's Roadblock required one team member to zipline across the river near Wulong. On the other side, they would find two women in traditional clothing singing a song. They would then have to zipline back, where they would find many symbols on a board. They would have to correctly identify which symbols were on the dresses worn by the women. If incorrect, they would have to repeat both ziplines. If correct, they would be able to sign up for a departure time from the Lijiang Airport. In the Detour, teams chose between Communicate and Renovate. in Communicate, one team member would view some pictographic symbols from the Naxi language. The other team member would have to draw these symbols on a chalkboard, following only verbal clues from their partner. In Renovate, teams would have to paint and dress a horse carriage to match a given example.
- Additional task
- At the Naxi restaurant, team members would each have to properly cook two Baba cakes.
Leg 8 (Yunnan)
Airdate: September 25, 2011
- Dayan, Lijiang (Guang Bi Lou)
- Lijiang (Jade Dragon Snow Mountain [4506 Feet Elevation Marker])
- Lijiang (Dongba Valley)
- Lijiang (Hua Ma Alley)
- Lijiang (Black Dragon Pool)
In this Roadblock, one team member had to climb a steep, snowy hill while carrying both team members' backpacks and a race flag. This Roadblock took place at 4,506 metres (14,783 ft) above sea level. In the Detour, teams had to choose between On the Mark or Through the Park. In On the Mark, teams went to an archery field where they would shoot a bow and arrow at a target. After achieving 100 points, they would receive their next clue. In Through the Park, teams had to deliver three items (A large pile of firewood, two heavy wine jugs, and two drums) through the village. After delivering the items undamaged, they would receive their next clue. In the Speed Bump, Tameka & Elena had to make a set of traditional pastry snacks to the satisfaction of a guide.
- Additional note
- The clue received at Guang Bi Lou simply contained the number "4506". Teams needed to figure out that this referred to one of the elevation markers on the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain.
Leg 9 (Yunnan → Qinghai)
Airdate: October 2, 2011
- Lijiang (Lijiang Airport) to Xining, Qinghai (Xining Caojiabu Airport)
- Xining to Xunhua
- Xunhua (Yijia Minority Products)
- Xunhua (Yellow River - Jishi Bridge)
- Xunhua (San Lan Ba Hai Village)
- Xunhua (Yimahai Village)
- Xunhua (Wendu Monastery)
- Xunhua (Camel Spring Mosque)
Airdate: October 9, 2011
- Xunhua to Xining to Datong County
- Datong County (Yao Zi Gou)
- Dongxiazhen (Dong Xia Zhen Market)
- Datong County (Guang Hui Temple)
- Datong County (Duo Long Village)
- Datong County (Ming Dynasty Era Great Wall)
- Datong County (Lao Ye Mountain)
In this leg's first Detour, teams chose between Sun and Bun. In Sun, teams had to properly assemble a solar powered cooking device. In Bun, teams had to correctly make 20 traditional flower-shaped buns. In the first Roadblock, one team member had to utilize a pulley system to pull themselves and a basket of supplies across the Yellow River in a box. They then had to climb up to a monastery and deliver these supplies before pulling themselves back across.
In the leg's second Roadblock, teams had to correctly piece together six traditional Chinese shadow puppets. In the second Detour, teams chose between Spin It or Stack It. In Spin It, teams teavelled to an apiary and choose a beehive. They then had to remove the bees from the honeycomb and place them into spinning drums that are used to extract honey. Once they had extracted a full jar of honey, they would receive their next clue. In Stack It, teams had to tie up five bales of hay, carry them across a river, and then properly stack them to receive their next clue.
- Additional tasks
- At Yijia Minority Products, teams had to collect 40 identical traditional Muslim hats from a pile and then trim the loose threads. They then had to fold and package these 40 hats. Teams would then receive departure times for the morning.
- At the Yellow River, teams had to inflate lamb hides rafts and then travel across the raging rapids to the other side.
- At the Dong Xia Zhen Market, teams were given a pot of Eight Treasures Tea to taste and observe. They then had to correctly gather the eight ingredients used in making the tea. If teams made three incorrect guesses, they would receive a 15-minute time penalty.
- At the Guang Hui Temple, teams had to light six candles, three small and three large, and properly greet a monk to get their clue.
Leg 10 (Qinghai → Shandong)
Airdate: October 16, 2011
- Xining, Qinghai (Xining Caojiabu Airport) to Yantai, Shandong (Yantai International Airport)
- Penglai (Statue of the Eight Immortals)
- Penglai (Hai Xian Ju Restaurant)
- Penglai (Yu Jia Le Fishing Dock)
- Penglai (Chateau Junding)
- Penglai (San Xian Shan Park)
- Penglai (Bei Wo Du Residence)
- Penglai (Fortified Harbor of Water City)
At the Intersection, teams had to join with one other team to complete tasks and make decisions together until further notice. In this special Roadblock, one team member from each of the intersected teams had to ride a fishing boat out to a collection of buoys. They then had to lift whatever the buoys were attached to onto the boat. Once they found their next clue (Which was hidden inside of a string of fishing nets), they could return to the shore, where they would no longer be intersected. In the Detour, teams had to choose between Count the Vines or Find the Wine. In Count the Vines, teams went out into the fields of the winery where they had to count the number of grapevines growing. In Find the Wine, teams entered the wine cellar, where they found a collection of wine glasses that represented a numerical code. They had to use this example to decipher a code represented by a second collection of wine glasses. If they got the correct number, they had to find the corresponding barrel and then roll it out of the basement to get their next clue.
- Additional tasks
- At Hai Xian Ju Restaurant, teams had to eat two sea cucumbers each.
- At San Xian Shan Park, teams had to watch a musical performance involving many instruments including bells. They then had fifteen minutes to practice the bells portion of the song before performing it. If they made a mistake or performed out of sync, they would receive a fifteen-minute penalty. They could then try again.
Leg 11 (Shandong → Shanghai)
Airdate: October 23, 2011
- Yantai (Yantai International Airport) to Shanghai (Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport)
- Shanghai (Hilton Hongqiao Hotel)
- Xintiandi, Shanghai (South Huang Pi Road)
- Xintiandi, Shanghai (Huangpi Lu)
- Baoshan, Shanghai (Snow Beer Factory)
- Shanghai (1984 Bookstore)
- Shanghai (Red Town Sculpture Park)
- Shanghai (Mercedes-Benz Arena)
In the final Detour, teams had to choose between Spin It and Snap It. In Spin It, teams had to spin a kongju across a marked course without letting it drop and while keeping it spinning the whole time. In Snap It, teams received a photograph of a tourist. They then had to find this tourist and direct them to the location in the photograph. They then had to recreate the photograph exactly and take a new photo to receive their next clue. In the final Roadblock, one team member had to search among pictures and names attached to sculptures in the sculpture park to find the eleven locations they visited, as well as a picture to go with each.
- At the Hilton Hongqiao, teams were given fifteen minutes to observe a properly made room. They then had to properly dress their own room to receive their next clue.
- At the Snow Beer Factory, teams had to operate a forklift and transfer six large stacks of boxes of beer to a designated area. Each team member had to do an equal amount of work as the other. If any boxes of beer fell, they would be forced to take a fifteen-minute time penalty. Once the stacks were transferred and the forklift returned to its original position, teams received their next clue.