The Amazing Race 12
|The Amazing Race 12|
|Season run||November 4, 2007
– January 20, 2008
|Filming dates||July 8, 2007
– July 29, 2007
|No. of episodes||11|
|Winning team||TK Erwin & Rachel Rosales|
|Distance traveled||30,000 miles (48,000 km)|
|No. of legs||11|
|Unfinished Business||Ronald & Christina Hsu,
Kent "Kynt" Cothron & Jennifer "Vyxsin" Fiala
|Season 11 ◄ Chronology ► Season 13|
The Amazing Race 12 is the twelfth installment of winning reality television show The Amazing Race.
Newly dating couple TK Erwin and Rachel Rosales were the winners of this Race.
A DVD for this season was released on March 24, 2014, via Amazon's CreateSpace program.
- 1 Production
- 2 Results
- 3 Episode title quotes
- 4 Prizes
- 5 Elimination Station
- 6 Race summary
- 6.1 Leg 1 (United States → Ireland)
- 6.2 Leg 2 (Ireland → The Netherlands)
- 6.3 Leg 3 (The Netherlands → Burkina Faso)
- 6.4 Leg 4 (Burkina Faso)
- 6.5 Leg 5 (Burkina Faso → Lithuania)
- 6.6 Leg 6 (Lithuania → Croatia)
- 6.7 Leg 7 (Croatia → Italy)
- 6.8 Leg 8 (Italy → India)
- 6.9 Leg 9 (India → Japan)
- 6.10 Leg 10 (Japan → Taiwan)
- 6.11 Leg 11 (Taiwan → United States)
- 7 Ratings
- 8 Notes
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Development and filming
In May 2007, CBS confirmed The Amazing Race was picked up for a 12th season. It was originally to be scheduled in the mid-season of the 2007-2008 TV season. However, when Viva Laughlin canceled in October of the same year, The Amazing Race 12 started early to take the time slot.
The Amazing Race 12 spanned 30,000 miles (48,000 km) in 21 days, making it the shortest Amazing Race course since Season 8. The race covered four continents, visiting ten countries, five of which were previously unvisited, while traveling entirely in the Northern Hemisphere. The newly visited countries were Ireland, Burkina Faso, Lithuania, Croatia and Taiwan (Republic of China). This was the first time the former Yugoslavia was visited on the race. Also, for the first time, the finish line was not in the contiguous United States.
The shortened filming schedule was initially attributed, in part, to the removal of non-elimination legs, which would have been a first on the Race. However, Phil told Kynt & Vyxsin in Leg 7 that there are two non-elimination legs in this race. The penalty for coming in last place on a non-elimination leg, however, was changed. Additionally, most seasons without "To Be Continued" or "superlegs" have four non-elimination points. With this race only having two non-elimination legs, the number of episodes was reduced by two.
This season also introduced two new twists to the race, the U-Turn and the Speed Bump. The U-Turn allowed racers to force another team behind them to complete the other side of the Detour they did not just previously complete. The Speed Bump required a team that finished last in a non-elimination leg to perform an additional task in the next leg, while other teams are still racing. The U-Turn and the Speed Bump each occurred in two episodes of The Amazing Race 12.
The Alaska finish line was the northernmost finish location in Race history.
Applications for The Amazing Race 12 were due on January 16, 2007. Semi-finalist interviews were held sometime in February 2007 or March 2007 and final casting interviews took place in April 2007.
This season's 11 teams included married lesbian ministers, dating Goths, and siblings. Executive producer van Munster felt that "it was not intentional" for casting to leave out young-male teams commonly found in past seasons. He also said that it was pure coincidence for 15 of 22 racers to be residents of California.
The grandson and grandfather team of Nicolas and Donald are, respectively, the son and father-in-law of singer Robbie Fulks. Shana was the on-and-off girlfriend of TV personality Ryan Seacrest, while racers Staella, TK, Rachel and Nathan all attended Fountain Valley High School in Fountain Valley, California. Kynt had originally applied for an unknown season of the reality television show 'Survivor'.
Ron & Christina and Kynt (as Kent) & Vyxsin raced again on The Amazing Race: Unfinished Business among a cast of returning teams from seasons 12–17. Additionally, during the Unfinished Business race, Christina revealed she was engaged to fellow season 12 racer Azaria Azene; they married in March 2011.
Two days after the series premiere, CBS launched an Amazing Race page on social networking site Facebook via Facebook Ads. The site contained interactive contents such as maps, trivia, a travel log, and prizes. The site also included a tie-in with the Where I've Been application.
The following teams participated in the Race, each listed along with their placements in each leg and relationships as identified by the program. Note that this table is not necessarily reflective of all content broadcast on television, owing to the inclusion or exclusion of some data. Placements are listed in finishing order:
|Team||Relationship||Position (by leg)||Roadblocks
|TK & Rachel||Newly Dating||3rd||6th||2nd||7th||1st||4th||4th||1st||4th||2nd||1st||TK 5, Rachel 6|
|Ronald & Christina||Father/Daughter||7th||9th||5th||3rd||3rd||1st||3rd||3rd||1st||1st||2nd||Ronald 5,Christina 6|
|Nicolas & Donald||Grandson/Grandfather||5th||8th||6th||4th||6th||5th||1stƒ||2nd||3rd||3rd||3rd||Nicolas 6, Donald 4|
|Nathan & Jennifer||Dating||10th||2nd||3rd||2nd||5th||3rd1||2nd||4th||2nd||4th||Nathan 5, Jennifer 5|
|Kynt & Vyxsin||Dating Goths||2nd||4th||4th||5th||2nd||2nd||5th||5th⊃2||Kynt 4, Vyxsin 4|
|Azaria & Hendekea||Brother/Sister||1st||5th||1st||1st||4th||6th||Azaria 4, Hendekea 2|
|Shana & Jennifer||Friends||6th||3rd||7th||6th⊃||7th||Shana 3, Jennifer 2|
|Lorena & Jason||Dating||4th||1st||8th||8th⊂||Lorena 1, Jason 3|
|Marianna & Julia||Sisters||9th||7th||9th||Marianna 2, Julia 1|
|Kate & Pat||Married Ministers||8th||10th||Kate 2, Pat 0|
|Ari & Staella||Best Friends||11th||Ari 0, Staella 1|
- A red team placement indicates that the team was eliminated.
- A green ƒ indicates that the team won a Fast Forward clue. If placed next to a leg number, this indicates that the Fast Forward was available for that leg but not used.
- An underlined blue team's placement indicates that the team came in last on a non-elimination leg and had to perform a Speed Bump task in the following leg.
- A brown ⊃ means the team chose to use a U-Turn; ⊂ indicates the team who received it.
- ^ Nathan & Jennifer initially arrived 2nd, but did not take legal transportation to the Pit Stop. They were asked to go back to the end of the Detour and take a taxi back to the Pit Stop. Kynt & Vyxsin checked in during that time period, dropping them to 3rd.
- ^ Kynt & Vyxsin used their U-Turn power on Nicolas & Donald. However, Nicolas & Donald were actually ahead of them, thus the U-Turn had no effect.
Episode title quotes
Episode titles are often taken from quotes made by the racers.
- "Donkeys Have Souls, Too" – Christina
- "I've Become the Archie Bunker of the Home" – Ronald
- "Please, Lord, Give Me Milk" – Lorena
- "Let's Name Our Chicken Phil" – Shana
- "We Really Burned Bridges, For Sure" – Jennifer (of Shana & Jennifer)
- "Cherry on Top of the Sundae That's Already Melted" – Nathan
- "This is Forever, Now" – Donald
- "Honestly, They Have Witch Powers or Something!" – Jennifer (of Nathan & Jennifer)
- "I Just Hope He Doesn't Croak on Us" – Ronald
- "Sorry, Guys, I'm Not Happy to See You" – Jennifer (of Nathan & Jennifer)
- "The Final Push" – TK
The prize for each leg is awarded to the first place team for that leg. All trips are sponsored by Travelocity.
- Leg 1 - A trip for two to the Banff Springs Hotel in Alberta, Canada
- Leg 2 - A sport bike for each racer
- Leg 3 - A five-night vacation to Bermuda
- Leg 4 - A Yamaha Motor Scooter for each racer
- Leg 5 - A ten-day trip for two to Japan
- Leg 6 - A 12.5 foot catamaran for each racer
- Leg 7 - A trip for two to Cancun, Mexico
- Leg 8 - A trip for two to Saint Martin
- Leg 9 - An electric car seating four for each racer
- Leg 10 - A five-night vacation to Curaçao in the Netherlands Antilles
- Leg 11 - $1,000,000
The first five teams eliminated were sequestered at a villa in Portugal to await the finale. Subsequent eliminated teams telephoned the villa to inform the teams at the villa of their elimination, but continued to run the race as decoys to throw off potential spoilers of the Race. The sequestered teams met up with the decoy teams in the final destination city to cheer on the final three teams as they crossed the Finish Line.
CBS posted short videos on its website after each episode aired in the Pacific time zone to show the eliminated teams interacting at the villa.
- After Leg 1, Ari & Staella were the first team eliminated and sent to the villa first where they explored the luxurious house and contemplated their unfortunate first leg. They predicted one of the older teams would be the next eliminated and that Lorena & Jason would win the race.
- After Leg 2, Kate & Pat were the second team eliminated and sent to the villa and discussed their opinions of the other Racers with Ari & Staella. Ari was unhappy when Kate & Pat criticized his negative views, if not insults, of some of the racers.
- After Leg 3, Marianna & Julia were the third team eliminated and sent to the villa. Once again Ari grew irritated with Kate & Pat - this time because he felt that they were dominating the conversations with Marianna & Julia. At the end of the day, Ari, Staella, Marianna, and Julia all went out to party while Kate & Pat opted to stay behind, much to Ari's delight.
- After Leg 4, Lorena & Jason were the fourth team eliminated and sent to the villa, and they were excited to finally relax. Everyone was shocked and disappointed to see that they had been eliminated. At the beach, Lorena & Jason went cliff jumping with Ari & Staella, Marianna & Julia, and some Portuguese locals; Kate & Pat explored alone.
- After Leg 5, Shana & Jennifer were the fifth team eliminated and sent to the villa. They apologized to Lorena & Jason for using the U-Turn immediately upon arriving, but Lorena & Jason were a little skeptical to their reasoning. Marianna & Julia made a beautiful burnt barbecue feast for the new arrival team and later Shana & Jennifer shared their thoughts about who would be eliminated next and said Nicolas & Donald.
- After Leg 6, Azaria & Hendekea were the sixth team eliminated. They instead called into the villa where they shared news with the other eliminated teams about the race. All the teams were shocked when they found out they were eliminated. Lorena & Jason got along with Shana & Jennifer in the villa while later on, all the sequestered teams went out to sea on a boat to have fun.
- Leg 7 was a non-elimination leg. Meanwhile, the 5 sequestered teams enjoyed various outdoor activities such as rock climbing, hiking, zip-lining and mountain biking. Later, they were given a taste of local Portuguese food and culture.
- After Leg 8, Kynt & Vyxsin were the seventh team eliminated. They instead called into the villa. The teams were shocked when they heard that they were eliminated. As the Goths explained what went wrong in their Mumbai leg, they also expressed how well teams like Nicolas & Donald and Ronald & Christina were doing. Then, as the sequestered teams realize their time in the villa is coming to an end soon, everyone went out for a little poolside fun.
- Leg 9 was a non-elimination leg. Meanwhile, after one last visit to a Portuguese vineyard, it's time for the sequestered teams to pack up. As the racers get ready, they wonder what it will be like back home.
- After Leg 10, Nathan & Jennifer were the eighth and final team to be eliminated. They called in after the five sequestered teams arrived in Alaska, where the race would end. After the call, each team gives their opinion on who they want to see win.
- Leg 11 was the final leg of The Amazing Race 12. Azaria & Hendekea, Kynt & Vyxsin, and Nathan & Jennifer reunited with the rest of the eliminated teams. Some of the eliminated teams shared their opinions on the winners and the runners-up. The final three admit to their final joys and disappointments.
|Destinations||Air travel Rail travel Water travel Bus travel|
|Route Markers||Detour Roadblock Fast Forward U-Turn Speed Bump Pit Stop|
Leg 1 (United States → Ireland)
Airdate: November 4, 2007
- Los Angeles, California, United States (The Playboy Mansion) (Starting Line)
- Los Angeles (Los Angeles International Airport) to Shannon, Ireland (Shannon Airport)[Note 1]
- Rossaveal, Connemara (Ferry Port) to Inishmore, Galway Bay
- Inishmore (Teampall Bheanain) (Overnight Rest in The Pier House)
- Inishmore to Rossaveal (Ferry Port)
- Cleggan (Cleggan Farm)
- Clifden (Connemara Heritage & History Centre)
The Roadblock for this leg of the Race required one team member to ride a high-wire bicycle across a windswept ravine suspended almost 200 feet above the North Atlantic, while their partner, sitting eight feet below, was taken for the ride.
- Additional tasks
- Upon arrival at Teampall Bheanain, teams had to sign up for one of three return ferries for the next morning.
- Teams must pedal a tandem bike along a dirt path to their next clue upon reaching the farm.
- After completing the Roadblock, teams received instructions to choose a donkey and fill each of its baskets with 15 pieces of peat. Then, they had to walk the donkey back to the entrance of the farm to receive their next clue.
Leg 2 (Ireland → The Netherlands)
Airdate: November 11, 2007
- Shannon (Shannon Airport) to Amsterdam, the Netherlands (Amsterdam Airport Schiphol)
- Amsterdam (Schiphol railway station) to (Amsterdam Centraal railway station)
- Amsterdam (Melkmeisjesbrug)
- Amsterdam to Ransdorp (Rural Village Field)
- Durgerdam (Yacht Club)
In the first Detour of the season, teams had to choose between Hoist It or Hunt It. In Hoist It, teams had to use a traditional rope and pulley system to hoist five pieces of furniture up a typical Amsterdam residence. In Hunt It, teams made their way on foot several blocks to a bicycle parking lot called Fietsflat (Dutch) to search through thousands of bicycles for two bikes tagged with a specific color designated in their clue. After finding their bikes, teams had to ride them five miles to an attendant who would give them their next clue. In the Roadblock for this leg, one team member had to play a sport called fierljeppen by completing a single vault over a 12 feet (3.7 m) wide irrigation ditch and landing on both feet on the marshy grass at the other side. This task would reappear in Season 21 as a switchback.
- Additional task
- After completing the Roadblock, teams had to ride a bakfiets (cargo bicycle) to the next Pit Stop.
Leg 3 (The Netherlands → Burkina Faso)
Airdate: November 18, 2007
- Amsterdam (Amsterdam Airport Schiphol) to Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso (Ouagadougou Airport)
- Ouagadougou (Train Station) to Boulkiemdé (Bingo)
- Boulkiemdé (Village School)
- Boulkiemdé (Outskirts of Bingo)
In the Roadblock, the teams visited an area inhabited by Tuareg people, where one team member had to milk a Dromedary and collect the camel milk in a dried gourd bowl, up to a marked line. Once finished, they had to show their bowl to a local for approval and then drink all the milk to receive their next clue. If a team member was unable to obtain the sufficient amount of milk from his or her own camel, he or she had to wait until another team has completed their Roadblock and try milking their camel. In this Detour, teams had to choose between Teach It or Learn It. In Teach It, they would have to teach schoolchildren who did not speak English to memorize ten words of English, in which they will later be tested by a local teacher. In Learn It, teams have to learn from the local schoolchildren ten words in the More language. Teams will later be tested for these words by a local teacher.
- Additional task
- After completing the Roadblock, teams had to lead four camels along a marked path to their next route marker.
Leg 4 (Burkina Faso)
Airdate: November 25, 2007
- Boulkiemdé (Village in Bingo)
- Bouda-Pelegtanga, Yako, Passoré (Village Field)
- Pelegtanga Market
- Ouagadougou (Tampouy Goat Market)
- Ouagadougou (Hotel de Ville)
In this Detour, teams had to choose between Shake Your Pans or Shake Your Booty. In Shake Your Pans, teams had to use traditional methods to pan for one ounce of gold. Once done, they can trade their gold (after weighing), at a nearby tent, for their next clue. In Shake Your Booty, teams had to learn a traditional local dance and then perform it in front of 3 local celebrity judges and a crowd of locals. Teams must also infuse some of their own dance moves. A lack of creativity or a bad performance will incur teams a 10 minute penalty. In this Roadblock, one team member had to ride a bicycle and deliver a large amount of cumbersome goods, including a small goat. Teams had to deliver the items to a specific person stated in their clue at a nearby market.
- Additional task
- At the start of the leg, teams had to look for the village chief. Then, they had to accept a gift of a chicken from him, which they then had to take with them throughout the leg to the Pit Stop.
Leg 5 (Burkina Faso → Lithuania)
Airdate: December 2, 2007
- Ouagadougou (Ouagadougou Airport) to Vilnius, Lithuania (Vilnius International Airport)
- Vilnius (St. Anne's Church)
- Vilnius (Nautilus courtyard in Vilnius Old Town, Vilnius University courtyard and several places around Old Town)
- Rumšiškės (Lietuvos Liaudies Buities Muziejus (Lithuanian))
- Rumšiškės (Aukštaitija Windmill)
In this Roadblock, one team member had to choose a local Lithuanian woman working outdoors in Nautilus courtyard who would give them a package and tell them where to take it. Then, traveling on foot through the confusing streets of the Vilnius Old Town, Team members had to deliver the package to the correct person in Vilnius University Courtyard, who would then hand them their second package and one of four final destinations: Gabi Kavine, Saint Germain Restaurant, Hair Salon Sidabrynas and Shakespeare Hotel. In this leg's Detour, teams had to choose between Count Down or Step Up. In Count Down, teams made their way through the traditional Mid-Summer's Festival to a marked section of picket fence. Once there, they had to count every picket that makes up the fence and then reveal their calculation to a villager. If they were correct, they would receive their next clue. In Step Up, teams had to stilt-walk along a marked course to the finish line. If a person fell off before reaching the end, that person had to go back to the beginning and start again. When they reached the end, they would receive their next clue. In a post-race interview, Shana and Jennifer revealed that there was an unaired and unused Fast Forward present in an unaired portion of the leg at Trakai Island Castle.
- Additional task
- At the Lithuanian museum, teams had to search through the area for the roaming Travelocity gnome, as depicted in a picture on their clue. However, there were hundreds of common Lithuanian gnomes placed around the area to confuse the teams. Teams had to carry the Travelocity gnome with them all the way to the Pit Stop.
Leg 6 (Lithuania → Croatia)
Airdate: December 9, 2007
- Vilnius (Vilnius International Airport) to Dubrovnik, Croatia (Dubrovnik Airport)
- Dubrovnik (Fort of St. Lawrence)
- Dubrovnik (Fort Bokar)
- Dubrovnik (Stone Cross)
This leg's Roadblock was to correctly find one of eight stones out of 150 stones and fit it into the rock wall at the fort being rebuilt after the Croatian War of Independence. For the Detour, teams had to choose between Short & Long or Long & Short. In Short & Long, teams had to rappel down the walls of Fort Bokar and then scale it again on a rope ladder. Then, they had to make their way on foot a longer distance through the confusing old quarter streets to find their next clue. In Long & Short, teams had to tandem zipline from the fort and then swim to the floating platforms where they must row a fishing boat around the city walls to a flagged area and then make their way on foot a shorter distance through the streets to find their next clue.
- Additional task
- After completing the Roadblock, teams had to go to the fort's roof and ride a zipline down to Fort Bokar to receive their next clue.
Leg 7 (Croatia → Italy)
Airdate: December 23, 2007
- Dubrovnik (Autobusni kolodvor Dubrovnik) to Split (Autobusni kolodvor Split)
- Split (Ferry Terminal) to Ancona, Marche, Italy
- Empoli, Tuscany (Campo di Volo Silvano Poli)
- Vinci (Birthplace of Leonardo da Vinci)
- Florence (Boboli Gardens)
In the Race's only aired Fast Forward, teams had to travel to Fabio Studios to take part in a local seafaring tradition but didn’t know that the tradition is the art of tattoo. When they arrived, they would learn that they had to have a permanent tattoo drawn on their bodies, the letters FF for Fast Forward, when it was done, that team would win the Fast Forward. In this leg's Roadblock, one team member had to soar through the skies over Tuscany in an ultralight and had to scan a 6-mile radius of the countryside below for the name of their next destination: Vinci. If team members thought they spotted the hint, they had to signal their pilot who would then bring them back down. Once on the ground, they would tell the instructor the word and, if correct, the pilot would hand them their next clue. There was a thirty-minute time limit per flight as team members had to make a mandatory landing for refueling before continuing their search. In this Detour, teams had to choose between Invention or Tradition. In Invention, teams made their way to a nearby courtyard and chose a replica of a centuries-old crane designed by Leonardo da Vinci. They had to first assemble the crane and use it to lift one large stone a foot off the ground. Then, they had to place a mirror underneath and read a clue printed on the bottom of the rock. In Tradition, teams made their way to Piazza Guido Masi. There, they had to learn a traditional local flag routine, and when they executed the routine correctly, the lead flagman would hand them a flag displaying the name of their next destination.
- Additional note
- During the drive to Empoli, teams received a message from relatives on a BlackBerry.
Leg 8 (Italy → India)
Airdate: December 30, 2007
- Florence (Peretola Airport) to Mumbai, India (Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport)
- Mumbai (M.R. Naik Newspaper Stall - Khar Danda)
- Mumbai (Chauhan Alteration Tailors)
- Mumbai (Dadar West Bridge or Dadar Flower Market)
- Mumbai (Kabutar Khana)
- Mumbai (Bharatgas Colaba Gas Service)
- Mumbai (Bandra Fort)
This leg's Detour required teams to choose between Paste 'Em or Thread 'Em. In Paste 'Em, teams made their way to a marked underpass in Tulsi Pipe Road of Dadar West Bridge and used the provided supplies to properly paste a 6-panel Bollywood movie poster onto the wall. When the advertisement was complete, they would receive their next clue. If even one panel is out of line, they may have to take them all down again and start over. In Thread 'Em, teams made their way to Dadar Flower Market and found a marked flower stall called Shyam Pandurang Bhagat where they had to create a traditional wedding garland by threading 108 flowers in an alternating pattern (red, orange, and yellow). When the judge agreed that the garland had been properly made, teams needed to deliver it to a nearby bridegroom and exchange it for their next clue. The Speed Bump task required Kynt & Vyxsin to find the Yoga Master at Dariya Mahal and successfully perform a series of Yoga poses before being allowed to continue the race and do the Detour. In this Roadblock, one team member had to load a bicycle cart with six tanks of propane gas, pedal to the two addresses listed on their order slips, deliver three tanks to each address, and then take a receipt from the homeowner's door as proof of delivery. Once their deliveries were complete, they had to hand the foreman their two order slips and two receipts to receive their next clue.
- Additional task
- At the newspaper stall, teams searched for an ad in The Times of India that contained the location of the next route marker.
Leg 9 (India → Japan)
Airdate: January 6, 2008
- Mumbai (Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport) to Osaka, Japan (Kansai International Airport)
- Osaka (Kishiwada Castle)
- Osaka (Noda Station)
- Osaka (Kita-Mido Temple (Japanese))
- Osaka (Shimojima Building (Japanese)or Saera Flower Shop (Japanese))
- Osaka (Tempozan Park)
This leg's Roadblock required one team member to put on a hat and gloves as local cabbies do and transport a Japanese couple five miles through a maze of confusing, often one-way streets to a specified address (the Osaka Central Post Office (Japanese)). They could not invite a local to lead them or join them in the car and the couple could not help them. Upon arrival at the correct address, the couple would hand them their next clue. However, the drivers would also have to make their way back to their teammate before they read what was inside the clue. In this leg's Detour, the choice was Sense of Touch or Sense of Smell. In Sense of Touch, teams made their way on foot to the Shimojima Building and had to use miniature robots controlled by cell phones to play a game of soccer against two robotic defenders. Once each team member had scored a goal, the referee would give them their next clue. In Sense of Smell, teams made their way to the Saera Flower Shop where only artificial flowers were sold. Once there, they had to use their noses (and only their noses) to identify one real flower hidden among thousands of artificial ones in the two story flower shop. When they found a real flower, the shop owner would give them their next clue.
Leg 10 (Japan → Taiwan)
Airdate: January 13, 2008
- Osaka (Umeda Sky Building - Floating Garden)
- Osaka (Kansai International Airport) to Taipei, Taiwan (Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport)
- Taipei (Taipei Main Station) to Taichung (Taichung THSR station)
- Jiji (Acrobatics Jeep)
- Taichung (Taichung THSR station) to Taipei (Taipei Main Station)
- Taipei (GK Teahouse[dead link])
- Taipei (Gong Guan Night Market)
- Taipei (Zhongzheng Park or Youth Park (Chinese))
- Taipei (Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall)
In this Roadblock, one team member had to become a passenger in a car driven by a professional stunt driver who would maneuver the vehicle onto a giant teeter-totter and then rock back and forth precariously 25 feet (7.6 m) above the ground. Then, the team member would switch into an amphibious car, don a pair of goggles, and while holding their breath, they would be driven underwater for 17 seconds. If they were successful, they would get their next clue. The Speed Bump task required TK & Rachel to find Heping Elementary School, don on protective gear and run through a barrage of fireworks. Once they completed the run and were doused with water, they were allowed to continue the race. In this Detour, teams had to choose between Fire or Earth. In Fire, teams made their way to Zhongzheng Park to participate in a mystical Chinese ritual by writing messages of luck, good or bad, on Kongming lanterns. They had to burn "spirit money" under the lanterns, filling them with hot air that would lift the lanterns into the sky and carry their messages to the spirits above. Once a team sent 20 sky lanterns into the air, they would receive their next clue. In Earth, teams made their way to Youth Park to participate in a local custom used to reduce stress. Team members had to take off their shoes and, with their bare feet, walk down a 220-foot path made of jagged stones, turn around, and walk back. When they are finished, they would receive their next clue.
- Additional tasks
- At the Umeda Sky Building, teams had to take an elevator to the Floating Garden at the top of the building and search for their next clue.
- At the GK Teahouse, each racer drank a cup of tea with a Chinese clue written on the bottom of the cups to reveal the next location. The clue instructed teams to travel to the Gong Guan Night Market and find a clown who would give them their next clue.
Leg 11 (Taiwan → United States)
Airdate: January 20, 2008
- Taipei (Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport) to Anchorage, Alaska, USA (Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport)
- Anchorage (6th Avenue Outfitters)
- Anchorage (Ship Creek Boat Launch)
- Anchorage (Twenty-mile River)
- Anchorage (Merrill Field)
- Anchorage (Goose Lake Park)
- Anchorage (Captain Cook Statue)
- Anchorage (Salmon Hooker Statue)
- Girdwood (Girdwood Airport)
In the Race's final Detour, teams had to choose between Cut the Cod or Grab the Crab. In Cut the Cod, teams had to cut through several 50-pound Ling Cod and search for a miniature clue hidden in one of the fish. In Grab the Crab, teams had to jump into the hold of a boat swarming with over 500 live crabs. Then, they had to search through the nipping crustaceans for a crab marked with Race colors. In this season's final Roadblock, one team member had to face a field of objects they encountered along the race course. Each team was given fifteen recognizable items from different legs of the race. They had to place on a stage ten specific items that matched two different requirements. First, there could only be one item from each of the ten legs of the race. Second, only three items could be animals or animal by-products, one had to be a U-Turn, three had to be items either at or brought to the Pit Stop, two had to be items of transportation with wheels, one of which was used at a Detour, and one had to be an item of transportation resembling the shape of a stick. While there were several ways to fulfill either of the requirements, only one correct group of ten items fulfilled both.
- Additional tasks
- At 6th Avenue Outfitters, teams would pick up necessary gear for the journey ahead along with their next clue.
- At 20-Mile River, teams took a high-speed boat to 20-Mile Glacier; once there, both team members had to climb a wall of ice to reach their next clue. They then returned via helicopter to Merrill Field to continue the race.
US Nielsen ratings
|1||"Donkeys Have Souls, Too"||13.82|
|2||"I’ve Become the Archie Bunker of the Home"||3.1/8||10.48|
|3||"Please, Lord, Give Me Milk"||3.8/9||11.86|
|4||"Let's Name Our Chicken Phil"||N/A||11.80|
|5||"We Really Burned Bridges, For Sure"||3.4/8||11.26|
|6||"Cherry on Top of the Sundae That's Already Melted"||3.8/9||11.95|
|7||"This is Forever, Now"||2.8/8||8.97|
|8||"Honestly, They Have Witch Powers or Something"||2.5/6||9.69|
|9||"I Just Hope He Doesn’t Croak On Us"||N/A||11.99|
|10||"Sorry, Guys, I’m Not Happy to See You"||3.8/9||11.65|
|11||“The Final Push"||3.1/7||9.75|
- "CBS announces 'The Amazing Race 12' to premiere November 4". Retrieved 2007-10-23.
- Larsen, Peter (2008-01-22). "For 'Amazing Race' winners, the toughest job was keeping quiet". Orange County Register. Retrieved 2008-01-22.
- Rocchio, Christopher (2007-11-01). "'The Amazing Race' producer: Upcoming twelfth edition is a nail-biter". Reality TV World. Retrieved 2007-11-01.
- Schneider, Michael (2007-10-22). "CBS cancels 'Viva Laughlin'". Variety. Retrieved 2007-10-22.
- Fitzgerald, Toni (2007-05-16). "CBS's fall lineup: Bolder yet still CBS". Media Life.
- "New twist thwarts ‘Amazing Race’ couple". MSNBC. 2007-11-26. Retrieved 2007-12-05.
- Application and Eligibility Requirements[dead link]
- Application Form[dead link]
- "robbie's hoping for a windfall". Retrieved 2007-11-22.[dead link]
- "New Amazing Race Teams Announced". Retrieved 2007-11-28.[dead link]
- "Shana Wall kept 'Race' staus secret from ex-beau Ryan Seacrest". Retrieved 2007-11-29.
- "INTERVIEW: 'The Amazing Race's Kate Lewis, Pat Hendrickson talk". Retrieved 2007-11-13.
- "Interview with Lynne Spillman, Casting Director for The Amazing Race - Reality TV Interviews, News, and Recaps". Realitywanted.net. Retrieved 2012-05-14.
- Gomez, Patrick (2011-04-13). "Amazing Race Contestants Christina Hsu and Azaria Azene Wed". People. Retrieved 2011-04-13.
- ""CBS Joins "Facebook Ads" to Build an Online Community Around "The Amazing Race""". 2007-11-08. Retrieved 2008-01-09.
- Woodruff, Teeuwynn (2007-12-05). "“We’re Very Determined, Competitive People” An Interview with The Amazing Race's Shana & Jennifer". Reality News Online. Retrieved 2007-12-05.
- "Actual newspaper-ad in India with the next clue". Times of india. 2007-07-24. Retrieved 2010-02-24.
- "Top CBS Primetime Shows, November 5–11".
- "Top CBS Primetime Shows, November 12–18".
- "Top CBS Primetime Shows, Nov 26 – Dec 2".
- "Top CBS Primetime Shows, December 3–9".
- "Top CBS Primetime Shows, December 17–23".
- "Top CBS Primetime Shows, December 24–30".
- "Top CBS Primetime Shows, January 7–13".
- "Top CBS Primetime Shows, January 14–20".
- "Top Programs – Total Canada (English), October 29-November 4, 2007". BBM Nielsen. Retrieved 2007.[dead link]