|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012)|
|Genres||Pop, R&B, soul, psychedelic soul, doo-wop, disco|
|Years active||1958 - 1973; 1989 - 1992|
|Associated acts||Martha and the Vandellas, Four Tops, The Marvelettes, Marvin Gaye, Mary Wells, The Supremes|
|Past members||Jackie Hicks (1958-1973; 1989-1992)
Marlene Barrow (1958-1973; 1989-1992)
Louvain Demps (1961-1973; 1989-1992)
Emily Phillips (1958-1961)
Pat Lewis (1989-1992)
The Andantes were a prolific female sessions group for the Motown record label during the 1960s. Composed of Jackie Hicks, Marlene Barrow, and Louvain Demps, the group sang background vocals on numerous Motown recordings, including songs by Martha Reeves & the Vandellas, The Temptations, Stevie Wonder, the Four Tops, Jimmy Ruffin, Edwin Starr, The Supremes, The Marvelettes, Marvin Gaye, among others. Barrow also substituted for Florence Ballard of The Supremes in concert on several occasions.
The Andantes provided back-up singing on Motown singles starting in 1962. The group was most prominently used on all of the Four Tops' Holland–Dozier–Holland-produced hits, including "Baby I Need Your Loving", "I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)", "Reach Out I'll Be There", and more. The Andantes were used as vocal substitutes for Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong on many of The Supremes' recordings done in 1968 and 1969. They were also called upon to overdub and smooth out The Marvelettes' background vocals records beginning in 1965 and replaced them completely in the studio by 1967. The final Marvelettes album, The Return of The Marvelettes, was recorded by Marvelette Wanda Young with the Andantes, not her groupmates, on backgrounds.
In 1963, The Andantes, with The Marvelettes released the single "Too Hurt to Cry, Too Much in Love to Say Goodbye" b/w "Come on Home" as credited to The Darnells. In 1964 they released a single of their own called "(Like A) Nightmare" b/w "If You Were Mine", though none of the actual Andantes sang lead on either track (future Marvelette Ann Bogan performed the lead vocals).
The Andantes are also featured on some records that were not produced by Motown Records, the most prominent example being Jackie Wilson's "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher" (Pat Lewis substitutes for Louvain Demps on this track).
Throughout the 1960s and early 1970s, The Andantes appeared as backing vocalists on many of Motown's recorded singles, as The Funk Brothers also had when providing instrumentation. Five of these singles that they provided background vocals for would go on to chart at the number one position on the Billboard Hot 100 popular music chart.
- "My Guy" - Mary Wells
- "I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)" - Four Tops
- "Reach Out I'll Be There" - Four Tops
- "Love Child" - Diana Ross & the Supremes
- "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" - Marvin Gaye
The Andantes appeared on many singles for Brenda Holloway. These include:
The Andantes appeared as backing vocalists on 13 singles for the Four Tops. These releases include:
- "Baby I Need Your Loving"
- "Without the One You Love (Life's Not Worth While)"
- "Ask the Lonely"
- "I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)"
- "It's the Same Old Song"
- "Something About You"
- "Shake Me, Wake Me (When It's Over)"
- "Reach Out I'll Be There"
- "Standing in the Shadows of Love"
- "7-Rooms of Gloom"
- "You Keep Running Away"
- "I'm in a Different World"
Diana Ross & the Supremes
They appeared as backing vocalists on eight singles for Diana Ross & the Supremes. These releases include:
- "I'm Giving You Your Freedom"
- "Children's Christmas Song"
- "In and Out of Love"
- "Forever Came Today"
- "Love Child"
- "I'm Livin' in Shame"
- "The Composer"
- "No Matter What Sign You Are"
Martha & the Vandellas
They appeared as backing vocalists on seven singles for Martha & the Vandellas. These releases include:
- "My Baby Loves Me" (with the Four Tops)
- "I'm Ready for Love"
- "Jimmy Mack"
- "I Promise to Wait My Love"
- "I Can't Dance to That Music You're Playing" (with Syreeta Wright)
- "(We've Got) Honey Love"
- "Taking My Love (And Leaving Me)"
They appeared as backing vocalists on 14 singles for the Marvelettes. These releases include:
- "Tie a String Around Your Finger" (b-side of "As Long as I Know He's Mine")
- "I'll Keep Holding On"
- "Don't Mess with Bill"
- "You're The One"
- "The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game"
- "When You're Young and in Love"
- "My Baby Must Be a Magician"
- "Here I Am Baby"
- "Destination: Anywhere"
- "What's Easy for Two Is So Hard for One"
- "I'm Gonna Hold On As Long As I Can"
- "That's How Heartaches Are Made"
- "A Breath-Taking Guy"
They appeared as backing vocalists on three recordings for the Temptations.
- "It's Growing"
- "Just Another Lonely Night"
- "That'll Be The Day"
They appeared as backing vocalists on (at least) 15 singles for Marvin Gaye. These releases include:
- "Baby Don't You Do It"
- "What Good Am I Without You"
- "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You)"
- "I'll Be Doggone"
- "Pretty Little Baby"
- "Ain't That Peculiar"
- "One More Heartache"
- "Take This Heart of Mine"
- "Little Darling (I Need You)"
- "Your Unchanging Love"
- "I Heard It Through the Grapevine"
- "Too Busy Thinking About My Baby"
- "That's the Way Love Is"
- "The End of Our Road"
- "Save the Children"
Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
They also appeared as backing vocalists on these following recordings and singles for Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell:
- "This Poor Heart Of Mine"
- "Give In, You Just Can't Win"
- "When Love Comes Knocking At My Heart"
- "Two Can Have A Party"
- "Come On And See Me"
- "Oh How I'd Miss You"
- "Love Woke Me Up This Morning"
<^ Clemente, John (2000). Girl Groups -- Fabulous Females That Rocked The World. Iola, Wisc. Krause Publications. pp. 276. ISBN 0-87341-816-6. ^ Clemente, John (2013). Girl Groups -- Fabulous Females Who Rocked The World. Bloomington, IN Authorhouse Publications. pp.623. ISBN 978-1-4772-7633-4 (sc); ISBN 978-1-4772-8128-4 (e).>
As part of the Ian Levine's Motorcity Records project in the late 1980s and early 1990s, The Andantes were signed to the label and once again provided a service in recording backing vocals to former Motown artists. By this time, Pat Lewis had joined Jackie, Marlene and Louvain (from 1989–1992). The women had not worked together in a number of years, although all had been busy providing demo and backing vocals for numerous artists on various labels.
Levine also recorded several songs with The Andantes, issuing a new single "Lightning Never Strikes Twice", which featured Louvain Demps on lead vocals. Most other songs recorded by the group at Motorcity had Pat Lewis on lead vocals.
- "Lightning Never Strikes Twice"
- "Throw Love Away"
- "Step Into My Shoes" - also recorded by Martha Reeves and The Vandellas
- "Two Sides Of Love"
- "One Drop Of Rain"
- "Will You Always Be There"
- "Love Is A Bumpy Road"
- "All Around The Motorcity"
- "Girls Are Out To Get You"
- "Mercy, Mercy Me"
- "I Wish" - cover of the Stevie Wonder classic
- "My World Is Empty Without You"
- "The Boss"
- "Last Dance"
- "Little Darlin'"
- "Why Am I Loving You"
- "Back In My Arms Again"
- "In And Out Of Love"
- "I Wish It Would Rain"
- "Waste of Time" (Instrumental only)
Louvain Demps - Better Times
Whilst under contract to Motorcity Records, Louvain was given the opportunity to step up to the microphone and record a full album, which was released in 1992 under the title 'Better Times', which includes original tunes and one cover of the Diana Ross hit "Reach Out and Touch (Somebody's Hand)".
- "On The Front Page"
- "Better times"
- "One Shot At Happiness"
- "Lost & Found"
- "Good Intentions"
- "Blind Love"
- "On The Beach"
- "My Heart Won't Say No"
- "No Time For Tears"
- "Reach Out & Touch Somebody's Hand"
Louvain recorded two further tracks with Motorcity which did not appear on the above album:
- "On Top Of The Mountain"
- "Sight And Sound"
Ian Levine has cited that he has recorded more songs with Pat Lewis than with any other artist. Several songs recorded by Pat whilst with Motorcity Records are:
- "I Want You Back"
- "Don't Leave Me This Way"
- "I'll Be There"
- "Selfish One"
- "Rescue Me"
- "No Right Turn"
- "Hungry For You"
- "Something's Telling Me"
- Wright, Vickie (2007). Motown - From the Background. Bank House Books.
- "Lighting Never Strikes Twice" re-recording on YouTube
- biography on Billboard.com
- biography on Answers.com