The Ann Arbor News
|Type||Online/Bi-weekly print (Thursday & Sunday)|
|Owner(s)||Advance Magazine Publishers, Inc. D.B.A. Booth Newspapers, Inc.|
|Founded||1835; 2013 (Reestablished)|
|Ceased publication||July 23, 2009|
|Headquarters||301 East Liberty Street
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48104
Published in Ann Arbor, under various names from 1835 to 2009, The News was part of Booth Newspapers, owned by Advance Publications Inc. The News was published in the afternoons Monday through Friday and in the mornings on weekends and holidays. It published special sections throughout the year.
The newspaper ended its 174-year print run on July 23, 2009. The publisher blamed the loss of classified advertising revenue (which moved to Craigslist), and noted "the seven-day-a-week print model just is not sustainable [in Ann Arbor, which has] very low home ownership. The population is transient and young. Those demographics have worked against us."
The Ann Arbor News was replaced by a Web site, AnnArbor.com, which carried daily news stories and was accompanied by print editions on Thursdays and Sundays. Of the 272 people employed as of the announcement of the paper's closing, "more than a dozen" were hired for AnnArbor.com.
The company closed the Ann Arbor Business Review at the same time and moved the weekly publication under the brand of AnnArbor.com. Several employees of Ann Arbor Business Review were hired by the new company.
The Ann Arbor News is believed to be the first daily newspaper to fail in an American city with only one for-profit daily newspaper. (A Monday-through-Friday paper, The Michigan Daily, is published by a nonprofit organization.)
- "Ann Arbor News Prints Last Edition After 174 Years", a July 23, 2009, article from Editor & Publisher
- "Ann Arbor News to Close in July", Ann Arbor News, March 23, 2009. Accessed March 23, 2009.
- Press Release: "ONLINE LOCAL NEWS STRATEGY UNVEILED FOR ANN ARBOR, MI", March 23, 2009.
- Livingston Community News: "The Livingston Community News will close in July", March 23, 2009.
- Heflin, Cindy (July 9, 2009). "Ann Arbor Business Review closing; brand to continue on AnnArbor.com" Mlive.com.
- "Why Ann Arbor Will be the First City to Lose its Only Daily Newspaper"