|Directed by||Raffaele Mertes|
|Written by||Francesco Contaldo and Raffaele Mertes|
|Country||Italy France Germany England|
|Running time||96 minutes|
The film is set in 90 AD and concerns Jesus Christ's last surviving disciple, John of Patmos, and his writings and visions of the Apocalypse. Emperor Domitian has declared himself to be God and ruler over heaven and earth. The Christians do not recognize his divinity and face persecution from the Emperor. John has been imprisoned on Patmos, a mining prison, with many others. He writes out messages of his visions and sends them to the church in Asia. They send Irene to make sure John is alive and to confer with him in person. The movie depicts scenes from the Book of Revelation and links them to events happening to the church in Asia.
Biblical scenes portrayed
- Revelation 1, Jesus among the Candlesticks
- Revelation 4, The Throne Scene
- Revelation 5, The Crisis of Sealed Scroll
- Revelation 6, The Seals Opened and Related Events
- Revelation 7, The Great Multitude
- Revelation 8, The Trumpets
- Revelation 12, The Woman, the Child and the Dragon
Historical events portrayed
The movie Apocalypse includes these historical events:
1. The Life and Reign of Domitian with his proclamation of divine status and persecution of Christians.
2. Patmos as a penal colony Apocalypse events mentioned in early Christian literature:
- 3:17 Domitian conducted a reign of terror
- 3:18-1 During this time, John was exiled to Patmos.
- 3:18-3 Irenaeus wrote that John lived during the reign of Domitian.
- 3:20-10 After a fifteen-year reign, Domitian died and Nerva took over. Nerva tried to undue Domitian's cruelty.
- 3:20 John returned to Ephesus at this time.
- Richard Harris as John
- Vittoria Belvedere as Irene
- Benjamin Sadler as Valerius
- Christian Kohlund as Quintus Maximus
- Erol Sander as Ionicus
- Ian Duncan as Demetrius
- Bruce Payne as Domitian
- Eusebius Church History, Book III, Chapters 17-20 Accessed April 7, 2011