Mariah Carey's 14th Studio Album
|This article is being considered for deletion in accordance with Wikipedia's deletion policy.
Please share your thoughts on the matter at this article's entry on the Articles for deletion page.
Feel free to edit the article, but the article must not be blanked, and this notice must not be removed, until the discussion is closed. For more information, particularly on merging or moving the article during the discussion, read the Guide to deletion.
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: contains too many quotes, direct sources and too much storytelling. (September 2013)|
|Studio album by Mariah Carey|
|Released||May 6, 2014|
|Mariah Carey chronology|
|Singles from Mariah Carey's 14th Studio Album|
Mariah Carey's fourteenth studio album is scheduled for release on May 6, 2014. It was previously to be titled The Art of Letting Go, but as of February 2014 is currently untitled. The album had several previous release dates: late 2012, March 2013, May 2013, and July 2013. The lead single "Beautiful", featuring singer Miguel, was released on May 7, 2013, and peaked at number 15 on the US Billboard Hot 100.
On October 14, 2013, Carey announced that the, "The Art of Letting Go", has been chosen as the album's second single. The track was released via Facebook and iTunes on November 11, 2013.
Carey announced on December 31, 2013 that she will release a new single on February 12, 2014 and the album will be out in Spring. On February 10, Carey's Facebook page revealed the song's title to be "You're Mine (Eternal)," and the album's release date May 6.
The first indication that Carey had begun work on her fourteenth studio album was in February 2011, with Carey stating: "I start writing for my new album this week-but it's just the beginning...". In March 2011, Carey issued a statement on how she felt embarrassed because she unknowingly played a private gig for the family of dictator Colonel Gaddafi in 2008. Carey's representative did not comment on how much Carey was paid for the performance, but said Carey will donate royalties for the song "Save the Day", which she has written for her 14th studio album, to charities that create awareness for human-rights issues.
In May 2011, husband Nick Cannon revealed during a Billboard interview that Carey had already completed a good amount of recording for a new album, a few months before during her pregnancy: "She's planning on having a [new single] out this year. She's been working away, and we have a studio in the crib, and [the pregnancy] has totally inspired her on so many different levels." Additionally, Cannon confirmed that Carey was inspired by her debut self-titled album and its follow-up, Emotions.
In January 2012, Cannon updated everyone on the album, saying: "My beautiful wife is planning to make her return to the music scene after taking time off to focus on the pregnancy and the birth of our two wonderful babies, Moroccan and Monroe."
In September 2011, producer and friend Jermaine Dupri took to his social network Global14 to reveal that he's back in the studio with Carey working on new music. In July 2012, it was announced that Randy Jackson completed seven songs with Carey for the album. In August 2012, Bryan Michael Cox said about the album: "She was committed to making it before she got pregnant. Then she got pregnant and she took the time off. Then after she came back, we started really vibing again and we picked up right where we left off. I just feel like between [record producer] Jermaine Dupri, myself and her, we came up with a few things that [are] really, really a solid body of work". In September 2012, Carey was in the studio with R. Kelly.
In January 2013, Cox stated that himself and Jermaine Dupri worked together on 10 songs for the album. In February 2013, Dupri revealed that he was trying to get Carey to sing ballads but Carey was leaning more towards a hip hop sound "like rappers in the club".
Carey said about her fourteenth studio album: "I'm collaborating with a lot of my favorite people but the main thing is [that] I'm not trying to follow any particular trend, I want it to be well received. I want to stay true to myself and the music that I love and make the fans happy". Some of the people that Carey worked with on the album include: DJ Clue?, Randy Jackson, Q-Tip, R. Kelly, David Morales, Loris Holland, Stevie J, James Fauntleroy, Ray Angry, Walter Afanasieff, Jermaine Dupri, Bryan-Michael Cox, James "Big Jim" Wright, Hit-Boy, The-Dream, Da Brat, and Rodney Jerkins.
Carey gave Billboard magazine an exclusive interview in their March 9, 2013 issue, stating: "It's about making sure I have tons of good music, because at the end of the day, that's the most important thing....There are a lot more raw ballads than people might expect...there are also uptempo and signature-type songs that represent [my] different facets as an artist.....Wherever we go with this project, I've tried to keep the soul and heart in it". Billboard also asked Carey about the title of the album, however, Carey declined to reveal it. In late March 2013, Carey stated that she "has more than enough songs" but "she's in the process of finishing things and mixing and all that".
In June 2013, it was announced that Carey is "still choosing between two titles" for the album. On June 16, 2013, Walmart put the album up for pre-order and revealed its title as The Art of Letting Go. The following day, producer Jermaine Dupri confirmed that Walmart was correct and that the album is indeed titled "The Art of Letting Go". On June 20, 2013; Carey was in the studio with Mike Will Made It and Young Jeezy. On August 3, 2013, Carey was in the studio with rapper Wale. In September 2013, Carey was in the studio with rapper Nas. In October 2013, Jermaine Dupri was announced as Carey's new manager.
In January 2014, Carey stated that there will be two cover songs on the album and announced that she has finished sequencing the album's track list. In an interview in February 2014, Carey added that there are songs on the album that are about her husband Nick Cannon as well as songs that she wrote specifically for her twins Moroccan and Monroe. That same month, Carey announced to MTV News that she has added three new songs to the tracklist, 1 extra Hitboy record and two new remixes and stated that she is in the process of choosing a new title for the album.
Promotion and release
In the April 2012 issue of Shape magazine, Carey stated: "I've started writing songs for a new album, which I hope will come out in 2012. Getting back in the studio and making music again-which I truly love doing-is the best way to end this crazy year". In August 2012, Carey's then-manager Randy Jackson told Billboard that the album is set for release in March 2013. In an interview with Ryan Seacrest in September 2012, Carey stated: "I want[ed] [it] to [be released] sooner, but I guess it wouldn't be ready until around January 2013, somewhere around there. I wanted to put another single out, a ballad. I love it, but I'm still writing, I'm still working. So, you never know what it's going to end up being".
In February 2013, Carey stated that she wanted to release the album as soon as possible. The album was delayed to May 2013, which soon changed to July 23, 2013. However, the album was again delayed. On February 10, 2014, it was announced that the album is now set for release on May 6, 2014.
"Triumphant (Get 'Em)" was released in August 2012. It was originally slated to be the album's lead single. However, Carey felt that the album needed more work. "Beautiful" became the album's official lead single. It features singer Miguel. The world premiere of the song was held on May 6, 2013 and was released for digital download on the US iTunes store the next day. In May 2013, Carey performed the song on American Idol and Good Morning America's Summer Concert Series.
On December 31, 2013, Carey announced that the album's third single will be released on Valentine's Day. However, the song, titled "You're Mine (Eternal)", was premiered on February 12, 2014 instead - two days earlier than expected. Its official remix, featuring Trey Songz, was premiered on that same day as well.
In December 2012, Carey's then manager Randy Jackson announced that Carey is planning a world tour following the album's release. In May 2013, back when the album's release date was still July 23, 2013, Carey's PR firm announced that the tour was intended to start in October 2013 in Asia. In June 2013, however, Carey announced that she was not ready to release the album in July and thus the tour was postponed. Carey's subsequent injury in July 2013 derailed the album even more.
- "The Art of Letting Go"
- "Beautiful" (featuring Miguel)
- "Save the Day"
- "Triumphant (Get 'Em)" (featuring Meek Mill and Rick Ross)
- "You're Mine (Eternal)" 
- "Dedication" (featuring Nas) 
- "Thirsty" 
- "Mariah Carey Sets New Album Release Date, Announces 'You're Mine (Eternal)' Single". Billboard. Retrieved February 15, 2014.
- "Mariah Carey Is 'Ready' To Drop Her Album -- Here's Why We Had to Wait". MTV.com. February 18, 2014. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- "Twitter / MariahCarey: @JamesDeanHoe not so! But". Twitter.com. February 22, 2011. Retrieved February 15, 2014.
- "Mariah Carey 'Embarrassed' Over Gadhafi-Linked Concert". Associated Press via Billboard. March 3, 2011. Retrieved June 11, 2013.
- Nick Cannon, Mariah Carey Working on New Albums. Billboard. Retrieved on June 11, 2013.
- Mariah Carey starts work on new studio album – Music News. Digital Spy (January 31, 2012). Retrieved on June 11, 2013.
- LTL PHOTOS: MARIAH CAREY « GLOBAL 14. Global14.com (September 26, 2011). Retrieved on June 11, 2013.
- American Idol’s Randy Jackson: Adele Would Have Won "American Idol". Showbiz411 (July 18, 2012). Retrieved on June 11, 2013.
- Mitchell, John. (August 2, 2012) Mariah Carey's 'Triumphant' Single Is 'Close To Her Heart' – Music, Celebrity, Artist News. MTV.com. Retrieved on June 11, 2013.
- "Mariah Carey records duet with R Kelly - Music News". Digital Spy. September 30, 2012. Retrieved February 15, 2014.
- Exclusive: Jermaine Dupri & Bryan-Michael Cox Have Ten Songs Recorded For New Mariah Carey Album – New R&B Music, R&B Videos, R&B Interviews, R&B Concert Coverage. YouKnowIGotSoul (January 2, 2013). Retrieved on June 11, 2013.
- Exclusive: Jermaine Dupri Talks Upcoming Mariah Carey Album. youknowigotsoul.com. February 6, 2013. Retrieved July 17, 2013.
- Mariah Carey Debuts 'Triumphant (Get 'Em)' Single; Talks Upcoming Album. Billboard. Retrieved on June 11, 2013.
- Hersha, Marie. (October 3, 2012) Mariah Carey Teams Up with R. Kelly on New Song – Best Celebrity Tweets of the Weekend – Yahoo! omg!. Omg.yahoo.com. Retrieved on June 11, 2013.
- Mariah Carey and R. Kelly Hit the Studio. Ratedrnb.com (September 27, 2012). Retrieved on June 11, 2013.
- Mariah Carey Recruits The-Dream, Hit-Boy For New Album: Exclusive. Billboard. Retrieved on June 11, 2013.
- etalk. Watch.ctv.ca. Retrieved on June 11, 2013.
- Mariah Carey New Album Release Date. Showbiz411. Retrieved on June 11, 2013.
- "Mariah Carey Titles New Album ‘The Art of Letting Go’". Rap-Up.com. June 18, 2013. Retrieved February 15, 2014.
- Vena, Jocelyn (June 18, 2013). "Mariah Carey's 'New Era' Begins With The Art Of Letting Go - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV.com. Retrieved June 25, 2013.
- "Mariah Carey Hits the Studio with Young Jeezy, Mike WiLL Made It". Rap-Up.com. June 21, 2013. Retrieved June 25, 2013.
- "Wale Teases Mariah Carey And Jermaine Dupri Collaboration". Rapfix.mtv.com. Retrieved February 15, 2014.
- "Mariah Carey Hits the Studio with Nas". Rap-Up.com. September 27, 2013. Retrieved February 15, 2014.
- "Mariah Carey And Jermaine Dupri Merger Shocks The Industry - NEW YORK, Oct. 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/". Prnewswire.com. Retrieved February 15, 2014.
- "Mariah Carey Exclusive: Album is Coming Late Spring, Almost Done". Showbiz411. January 19, 2014. Retrieved February 19, 2014.
- "Mariah Carey Jokes Twins, Not Nick Cannon, Will Be Her Valentines". Kiisfm.com. February 13, 2014. Retrieved February 19, 2014.
- "Mariah Carey: The Twins Will Be on My New Album – Moms & Babies – Celebrity Babies and Kids - Moms & Babies - People.com". Celebritybabies.people.com. March 22, 2012. Retrieved February 19, 2014.
- "News". Mariah Carey. Retrieved June 25, 2013.
- Why Mariah Carey Released Three Versions of 'Triumphant' Single. Billboard. Retrieved on June 11, 2013.
- Mariah Carey on new album: 'It won't be ready until January' – Music News. Digital Spy (September 28, 2012). Retrieved on June 11, 2013.
- Vena, Jocelyn. (February 21, 2013) Mariah Carey Wants New Album Out 'ASAP' – Music, Celebrity, Artist News. MTV.com. Retrieved on June 11, 2013.
- Mariah Carey's been making some of her new album in secret and wants it out "ASAP". Popjustice (February 22, 2013). Retrieved on June 11, 2013.
- "News". Mariah Carey. Retrieved June 25, 2013.
- Mariah Carey vs. Selena Gomez: Which July 23 Album Are You Most Excited For?. Billboard. Retrieved on June 11, 2013.
- "Mariah Launches Single & Announces May 6 Album Date! - Mariah Carey Official Blog". Mariahcarey.com. February 11, 2014. Retrieved February 19, 2014.
- Mariah Carey Teams with Miguel for New Single 'Beautiful'. Rap-Up.com (April 25, 2013). Retrieved on June 11, 2013.
- "#Beautiful (feat. Miguel) – Single – Mariah Carey". iTunes Store (US). Apple. May 7, 2013. Retrieved October 18, 2013.
- "Mariah Carey on 'The Art of Letting Go'". CNN. October 23, 2013. Retrieved February 19, 2014.
- "Mariah Carey To Release New Single On Valentine’s Day [Video]". Inquisitr.com. January 13, 2014. Retrieved February 15, 2014.
- Randy Jackson to Debut Guitar Collection on HSN, Talks 'Idol' + New Mariah Carey. Billboard. Retrieved on June 11, 2013.
- Mariah Carey Leaving ‘American Idol’. ExtraTV.com (May 30, 2013). Retrieved on June 11, 2013.
- By VINCENT JACKSON, Staff Writer (January 26, 2014). "Going for some Grammys: Mays Landing man has six shots for recognition at tonight's ceremony - Life - Press of Atlantic City". M.pressofatlanticcity.com. Retrieved February 15, 2014.
- "Mariah Carey Dishes on Ariana Grande, Beyoncé, & New Music on ‘The Breakfast Club’". Rap-Up.com. Retrieved February 15, 2014.