The Astrophysical Journal
|The Astrophysical Journal|
Abbreviated title (ISO 4)
|Edited by||Ethan Vishniac|
The Astrophysical Journal, often abbreviated ApJ (pronounced "ap jay") in references and speech, is a peer-reviewed scientific journal of astrophysics, established in 1895 by American astronomers George Ellery Hale and James Edward Keeler. As of 2013[update] it published three 900-page issues per month.
Since 1953 The Astrophysical Journal Supplement Series (ApJS) has been published in conjunction with The Astrophysical Journal, with generally longer articles to supplement the material in the journal. It publishes six volumes per year, with two 280-page issues per volume.
The Astrophysical Journal Letters (ApJL) is another section of The Astrophysical Journal which rapidly publishes short communications.
The journal and the supplement series were both published by the University of Chicago Press for the American Astronomical Society until, in January 2009, publication was transferred to IOP Publishing, following the move of the society's Astronomical Journal in 2008. The reason for the changes were given by the society as the increasing financial demands of the University of Chicago Press. Much information on the history of ApJ up to 1995 was published in an article entitled Some Statistical Highlights of the Astrophysical Journal in 1995.
The following persons have been editors-in-chief of the journal:
- George Hale (1895–1902)
- Edwin Brant Frost (1902–1932)
- Edwin Hubble (1932–1952)
- Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar (1952–1971)
- Helmut A. Abt (1971–1999)
- Robert Kennicutt (1999–2006)
- Ethan Vishniac (from 2006)
- Astronomical Journal
- Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society
- Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific
- Publications of the Astronomical Society of Australia
- Referred to as ApJ on own Web site
- "American Astronomical Society Selects Institute of Physics Publishing As New Publishing Partner". PR Newswire Europe Ltd. 2007-04-25. Retrieved 2007-07-21.
- Howard, Jennifer (2007-05-18). "U. of Chicago Press Loses 3 Journals After Publishing Agreement Is Changed". Chronicle of Higher Education. Retrieved 2009-02-12.
- Abt, H A (1995). "Some Statistical Highlights of the Astrophysical Journal". ApJ 455: 407. Bibcode:1995ApJ...455..407A. doi:10.1086/176587.
- Helmut A. Abt (1 December 1995). "Obituary – Chandrasekhar, Subrahmanyan". Astrophysical Journal. Bibcode:1995ApJ...454..551A. doi:10.1086/176507.