The Audience (2013 play)
- "The Audience (play)" redirects here. For the 1930 play sometimes known under that title, see The Public (play).
|Written by||Peter Morgan|
|Date premiered||15 February 2013|
|Place premiered||Gielgud Theatre
The Audience is centred on the weekly audiences given by Queen Elizabeth II to prime ministers from her accession in 1952 to the present day. Advice regarding the political and historical content of the weekly audiences was provided by Professor Vernon Bogdanor (Emeritus Professor of Government at Oxford University) and former Tutor of David Cameron, the current Prime Minister.
Its premiere run, directed by Stephen Daldry, opened in the West End at the Gielgud Theatre on 15 February 2013, with its press night on 5 March. The play featured Helen Mirren as Queen Elizabeth II; the actress had played the same role in the 2006 film The Queen, which was written by Morgan.
The play was simulcast to select North American and Australian movie theaters in July 2013.
The play will have a limited Broadway engagement from February 17 to June 28, 2015 at the Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre, with previews from 17 February 2015. Helen Mirren will also play Queen Elizabeth II in this production.
At the 2013 Olivier Awards, Helen Mirren received the best actress Olivier for her portrayal of the Queen while Richard McCabe received the best supporting actor nod for his role as Harold Wilson. Helen Mirren also received best actress at the Evening Standard Awards. At the 2014 WhatsOnStage awards, voted for by theatregoers, Mirren won the award for best actress, Haydn Gwynne best supporting actress for her portrayal of Margaret Thatcher, and Peter Morgan best new play.
- Helen Mirren - Queen Elizabeth II
- Paul Ritter - John Major
- Nathaniel Parker - Gordon Brown
- Richard McCabe - Harold Wilson
- Robert Hardy (withdrew before press night for health reasons), Edward Fox - Winston Churchill
- Michael Elwyn - Anthony Eden
- Haydn Gwynne - Margaret Thatcher
- Rufus Wright - David Cameron
- David Peart - Jim Callaghan
- Geoffrey Beevers - Equerry
- Michael Billington, "The Audience – review" The Guardian (London), 5 March 2013
- Rentoul, John (27 January 2013). "Yes, Prime Ministers!". The Independent. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- "London Theatre News, Reviews, Interviews". WhatsOnStage. Retrieved 15 August 2013.
- "All Hail the Queen! Photo and Video Roundup of Helen Mirren in Broadway-Bound THE AUDIENCE". BroadwayWorld.com. 2014–0806. Retrieved 2014-08-07.
- "WhatsOnStage 2014 Award Winners". WhatsOnStage. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- "Robert Hardy withdraws from Churchill role in Helen Mirren play". BBC. 26 February 2013. Retrieved 15 August 2013.
|This article on a 2010s play is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|