The Awakening (Singapore TV)
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (January 2011)|
|Created by||Liang Liren (梁立人)
Jiang Long （江龙）
|Developed by||Yang Ji (杨基)|
|Written by||Su Chunxing (苏春兴)
Wu De (吴德)
Gan Huibao (甘惠宝)
Liang Zhihua (梁志华)
|Opening theme||Wu Suo Nan Yang (雾锁南洋) sung by Sun Zhenfu (孙振福）|
|Country of origin||Singapore|
|Executive producer(s)||Lai Shuiqing (赖水清)|
|Producer(s)||Xie Xilun （谢希伦）|
|Production company(s)||Singapore Broadcasting Corporation|
|Original channel||SBC Eighth Frequency|
|Original airing||February 6, 1984|
The Awakening (Traditional Chinese: 霧鎖南洋, Simplified Chinese: 雾锁南洋) is a 1984 television drama series produced by Singapore Broadcasting Corporation to celebrate the nation's 25th National Day celebrations. The series mainly covers the Chinese Singaporean experience in Singapore, from the first generation of Chinese immigrants, who arrived to a relatively undeveloped island, through the Japanese occupation periods, and to the Chinese Singaporeans at the present day (1984), who resides in a developed nation that is radically different from the land their ancestors arrived to.
There are two parts to the series, and two sections in each of the parts:
- First Series
- The Awakening: Eternity (霧鎖南洋之地久天長) covers the travails of Chinese Singaporeans, who came to Singapore as migrants from China in the early part of the 20th Century. The most famous characters are Ah Mei and Ah Shui (played by Xiang Yun and Huang Wenyong.)
- The Awakening: Before the Dawn of the Lion City (霧鎖南洋之獅城拂曉/雾锁南洋之狮城拂晓) covers the Japanese occupation of Singapore.
- Second Series
- The Awakening: Through the Storm Together (霧鎖南洋之風雨同舟/雾锁南洋之风雨同舟) covers the years after the Japanese occupation, and the events that led to Singapore's independence.
- The Awakening: Dawn at the Equator (霧鎖南洋之赤道朝陽/雾锁南洋之赤道朝阳) covers the development of Singapore after its independence
It was rumoured that the original plans for the series would have it end after the Japanese occupation of Singapore, which would have preempted the second series. It was rumoured that SBC decided to film a second series because 1984 coincided with Singapore's 25th National Day independence celebrations.
- Huang Wenyong as He Ah Shui
- Xiang Yun as Ah Mei
- Chen Shucheng as Dr Chuang Yuanhe
- Huang Peiru
- Wang Yuqing as He Guorui
- Qian Zhigang
- Wu Wei Qiang
- Chen Xiuhuan
- Yan Bingliang
- Chen Tianwen
- Ye Shipin
The Awakening is often seen as one of Singapore's pioneer Chinese Dramas. To this day, it is considered a Classic among Singaporean viewers and the theme song remains popular. Actors Huang Wenyong and Xiang Yun were catapulted to fame through this drama. The second main actor and actress Chen Shucheng and Huang Peiru who played a couple, eventually married after the drama was broadcast.