The logo for the 6th season of The Bachelorette
|Format||Competitive reality show
|Starring||Chris Harrison (host)
List of Bachelorettes section
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||10|
|No. of episodes||111 (approx) (As of July 28, 2014)|
|Executive producer(s)||Elan Gale|
|Running time||120 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Next Entertainment
Warner Horizon Television
|Original run||January 8, 2003
– February 28, 2005|
May 19, 2008 – present
|Related shows||The Bachelor
The Bachelorette is a spin-off from the American competitive reality dating game show The Bachelor. In its January 2003 debut on ABC, the first season featured Trista Rehn, the runner-up date from the first season of The Bachelor, offering the opportunity for Rehn to choose a husband among 25 bachelors. The 2004 season of The Bachelorette again took a runner-up from the previous season of The Bachelor. After last airing on February 28, 2005, the series returned to ABC during the spring of 2008, following an absence of three years.
All of the rules are adopted from its parent show, The Bachelor. The series revolves around a single bachelorette (deemed eligible) and a pool of romantic interests (typically 25; 30 in season 5), which could include a potential husband for the bachelorette. The format is the same as the parent show. Unlike The Bachelor, one of two male suitors proposes to the bachelorette for the final selection.
Unlike The Bachelor, all eight seasons of The Bachelorette have ended with a proposal whether or not the Bachelorette decided to accept or decline. Trista Rehn's marriage to Ryan Sutter and Ashley Hebert's marriage to JP Rosenbaum have been the only marriages to result.
Questions of authenticity
Mike Fleiss, creator of The Bachelor and The Bachelorette, as well as former contestants, have come forth saying that both shows are scripted. The Bachelorette Season 4 winner, Jesse Csincsak, commented that contestants must follow producers' orders and that a storyline was fabricated in the editing room.
Season 13 contestant Megan Parris said in 2009 that the producers edited footage to create a false storyline. "I don't think [the producers] showed any real conversation I had with anyone... The viewers fail to realize that editing is what makes the show... You'll hear someone make one comment and then they'll show a clip of somebody's face to make it look like that is their facial reaction to that statement, but really, somebody made that face the day before to something else. It's just piecing things together to make a story." Parris said not only is the show scripted, but that producers "bully" contestants into saying specific things to the camera that the contestants do not want to say. She said, "There's nothing real about [the "confessionals," in which contestants talk to the camera about the latest goings-on]. It is scripted. They basically will call you names, berate you, curse at you until they get you to say what they want you to say.
On March 15, 2010, The Bachelorette creator Mike Fleiss appeared on 20/20 to confess that he developed the show's contestants into characters that catered to his audience's tastes, and that they "need [their] fair share of villains every season." Fleiss has come under fire for admitting that The Bachelor has less to do with reality than it does making good television.
By Season 7 of The Bachelorette, some believe that actors were being hired by ABC to play specific roles on the show. Some viewers were becoming tired of the show's scripted nature and speaking out. By Season 8 there were numerous complaints when the entire cast of The Bachelorette overtly acted out the show's written script with the cast of The Muppets.
- Season 1 (2003)
- Season 2 (2004)
- Meredith Phillips, who was sent home by bachelor Bob Guiney during season four of The Bachelor, was the second bachelorette.
- Season 3 (2005)
- Jennifer Schefft, selected by Andrew Firestone in season three of The Bachelor, got a second chance at love, after her relationship with Firestone ended, in The Bachelorette's third season. The season was filmed in New York City instead of Los Angeles.
- Season 4 (2008)
- DeAnna Pappas, who first appeared in season eleven of The Bachelor, and was rejected by bachelor Brad Womack in his first season was the fourth bachelortte. Pappas made a surprise return in season 13 of The Bachelor.
- Season 5 (2009)
- Jillian Harris, who was eliminated by bachelor Jason Mesnick in season thirteen of The Bachelor, was the fifth bachelorette. She is also the first non-American bachelorette, as she is from Canada.
- Season 6 (2010)
- Ali Fedotowsky, who walked away from bachelor Jake Pavelka just before the rose ceremony in season 14 of The Bachelor, was the sixth bachelorette.
- Season 7 (2011)
- Ashley Hebert, who was rejected by bachelor Brad Womack in season 15 of The Bachelor, was the seventh bachelorette.
- Season 8 (2012)
- Emily Maynard, chosen by bachelor Brad Womack, also in season 15 of The Bachelor, got a second chance at love, after her relationship with Womack ended, on the eighth season of The Bachelorette. Maynard is the second Bachelor winner to star in The Bachelorette after Jen Schefft. In addition, the production temporarily moved from Los Angeles to Maynard's hometown in Charlotte, North Carolina so that Emily could stay with her daughter Ricki during production.
- Season 9 (2013)
- Desiree Hartsock, who was sent home after the hometown dates by Sean Lowe in season 17 of The Bachelor, was the ninth Bachelorette.
- Season 10 (2014)
- Andi Dorfman, who walked away from bachelor Juan Pablo Galavis just before the rose ceremony in season 18 of The Bachelor is the tenth Bachelorette.
|1||January 8, 2003||Trista Rehn||Physical therapist||Ryan Sutter||Charlie Maher||Yes|
|Rehn and Sutter were married on December 6, 2003 on national television. As of 2014, they are still together and have two children. Contestant Bob Guiney was featured on fourth season of The Bachelor. Rehn was also one of 6 contestants on the first season of Dancing with the Stars.|
|2||January 14, 2004||Meredith Phillips||Makeup artist||Ian Mckee||Matthew Hickl||Yes|
|Phillips and McKee were engaged at the end of the show, but ended their relationship in February 2005.|
|3||January 10, 2005||Jennifer Schefft||Publicist||None||Jerry Ferris and John Paul Merritt||No|
|Schefft rejected both Ferris and Merritt. During the first live final rose ceremony, she chose Ferris, an art gallery director, over Meritt. Ferris proposed to Schefft but she rejected his proposal, stating that the chemistry was not there. Schefft ultimately married Chicago public relations executive Joe Waterman in May 2009; they have two children, Mae Elizabeth and Charlotte Grace.|
|4||May 19, 2008||DeAnna Pappas||Real estate agent||Jesse Csincsak||Jason Mesnick||Yes|
|The wedding was set for May 9, 2009, but they broke up in November 2008. Csincsak is now married to The Bachelor season 13 contestant Ann Lueders. Pappas ultimately married high school teacher Stephen Stagliano in October 2011, whose brother, Michael, was a contestant on the fifth season of The Bachelorette. The couple have a daughter, Addison Marie. Runner-up Mesnick was featured in the thirteenth season of The Bachelor. Finalist Graham Bunn became a contestant on the second season of Bachelor Pad. Another finalist Ryan Hoag became a contestant on the third season of Bachelor Pad. Bunn returned to become a contestant on season one of Bachelor in Paradise.|
|5||May 18, 2009||Jillian Harris||Interior designer||Ed Swiderski||Kiptyn Locke||Yes|
|In July 2010, it was announced that Harris and Swiderski had broken up. Contestant Jake Pavelka was featured on the 14th season of The Bachelor. Runner-up Locke, along with finalists Juan Barbieri, Wes Hayden, Jesse Kovacs and David Good, became contestants on the first season of Bachelor Pad. During their first season of Bachelor Pad, Locke fell in love with Tenley Molzahn from Pavelka's season, but they broke up in March 2013. Harris was a design team member of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition until its series end in 2012 and now hosts Canada's Handyman Challenge on HGTV. Finalist John Presser is now married to Tara Durr, who was a contestant on The Bachelor: Rome. Michael Stagliano became a contestant on the second season of Bachelor Pad along with Pavelka. Another finalist, Julien Hug, died on November 3, 2010. Stagliano would later return for the third season of Bachelor Pad along with winner Swiderski and another finalist Reid Rosenthal. Kovacs would later return to the first season of Bachelor in Paradise.|
|6||May 24, 2010||Ali Fedotowsky||Advertising account manager||Roberto Martinez||Chris Lambton||Yes|
|Fedotowsky and Martinez broke up in November 2011, but remained friends. Finalists Jonathan Novack (referred to as Weatherman in the show), Craig McKinnon and Jesse Beck became contestants on the first season of Bachelor Pad. Finalists Kasey Kahl, Justin Rego (referred to as The Wrestler in the show) and Kirk DeWindt became contestants on the second season of Bachelor Pad. Runner-up Lambton is now married to Peyton Wright, who was a contestant on the 10th season of The Bachelor. Ty Brown is currently married to Elizabeth Kitt from the 14th season of The Bachelor.|
|7||May 23, 2011||Ashley Hebert||Dental student||J.P. Rosenbaum||Ben Flajnik||Yes|
|Hebert and Rosebaum got married on December 1, 2012 and their wedding aired as a TV Special on December 16, 2012. The couple is expecting their first child, a boy, due on October 7, 2014. Finalists Ames Brown, Blake Julian and William Holman became contestants on the second season of Bachelor Pad. Runner-up Flajnik was featured on the sixteenth season of The Bachelor. Finalist Blake Julian is currently married to Holly Durst from The Bachelor season 12 whom he met on Bachelor Pad 2. Finalist Nick Peterson became a contestant and the winner on the third season of Bachelor Pad.|
|8||May 14, 2012||Emily Maynard||Children's hospital event planner||Jef Holm||Arie Luyendyk, Jr.||Yes|
|Maynard and Holm ended their relationship in October 2012. In 2014, Maynard ultimately married Tyler Johnson, whom she met at church. Finalists Tony Pieper, Chris Bukowski and Kalon McMahon became contestants on the third season of Bachelor Pad. Third-place finalist Sean Lowe was featured on the 17th season of The Bachelor. Bukowski and McMahon returned for season one of Bachelor in Paradise.|
|9||May 27, 2013||Desiree Hartsock||Bridal stylist||Chris Siegfried||Drew Kenney||Yes|
|As of July 2014, Hartsock and Siegfried are still engaged. They currently live in Seattle, Washington and plan to marry in the future. Sixth-place finalist Juan Pablo Galavis was featured on the 18th season of The Bachelor. Finalists Ben Scott, Zack Kalter and Robert Graham became contestants on the first season of Bachelor in Paradise.|
|10||May 19, 2014||Andi Dorfman||Assistant District Attorney||Josh Murray||Nick Viall||Yes|
|Josh proposed to Andi with a stunning Neil Lane ring. The two are still currently together as of July 28th, 2014 when they appeared on the After the Final Rose Special. Finalists Marquel Martin, Dylan Petitt, Marcus Grodd, Cody Sattler and Tasos Hernandez became contestants on the first season of Bachelor in Paradise.|
|Romania ||Burlăcița||Cătălin Botezatu (Season 1)
Bogdan Vlădău (Season 2)
|Antena 1||July 7, 2011|
- "ABC Confirms Bachelorette Return this Summer with Fourth Season". Reality TV World.
- McDow, Christine (Jun 28, 2011). "Jesse Csincsak Talks About Ashley Hebert And Last Night’s The Bachelorette". Reality TV Magazine. Retrieved July 10, 2012. "The viewers are seeing the PRODUCED side of her show and not so much the genuine stuff, and she looks silly because of it... A LOT TAKES PLACE IN THE EDITING ROOM!"
- Carbone, Steve (Feb 26, 2009). "My Interview with Megan Parris". Retrieved July 16, 2012.
- Dehnart, Andy (Mar 29, 2009). "Megan Parris says Bachelor producers "berate," "curse at" contestants". Reality Blurred. Retrieved July 16, 2012.
- Cherry, Bobby (Mar 26, 2009). "'Bachelor' candidate from Sewickley Hills goes off script". Trib Live. Retrieved July 16, 2012.
- Dehnart, Andy (Mar 16, 2010). "Bachelors have sex with an average of three women, but Bob Guiney has the record with 5.5". Reality Blurred. Retrieved July 10, 2012. "“We need our fair share of villains every season. And now we’re very careful in our casting…to develop characters that the audience is going to root for and root against”"
- "Today’s TV Addict Top 5: Wildly Disturbing Quotes from THE BACHELOR creator/executive producer Mike Fleiss". Today’s TV Addict. Mar 18, 2010. Retrieved July 10, 2012. "“We are very careful in our casting to develop characters that the audience is going to root for and root against.” Fleiss admits that his show has less to do with “reality” than it does making good television. Which is all fine and good… if a few moments later he hadn’t claimed that the whole premise was romance and the search for love."
- Angel, Ilana (May 24, 2011). "The Bachelorette is Back – More Addictive & Ridiculous Than Ever". The Jewish Journal. Retrieved July 16, 2012. "The only thing lamer than this show is the people who make it. They take it so seriously and think we do, but we don’t. It’s a scripted reality show, not real life. We watch with hope and no expectations, just as we lead our lives, the difference is we are decent and they are not."
- Taylor, T (May 21, 2012). "The Bachelorette Recap: Rainbow Connections". The Hollywood Gossip. Retrieved July 16, 2012. "The Bachelorette is back in full swing, and with it, all the scripted drama, misleading promos and man tears we've come to expect over the years... This Muppets thing is weird. Beyond weird. Emily asks Kermit to help zip her dress and the Miss Piggy throws a tantrum. Mr. Hostman has a conversation with one half of the cranky old man duo. They're all pretending the Muppets are real people. Really, producers? REALLY?... Miss Piggy has Joe write a poem on the spot. Charlie starts sweating bullets. Jef has to propose to Miss Piggy."
- "Ohio native Jen Schefft chosen as Andrew Firestone's mate on 'The Bachelor'". Reality TV World. May 19, 2003. Retrieved March 3, 2010.
- "'Bachelor' couple Andrew Firestone and Jen Schefft breakup". Reality TV World. Retrieved March 3, 2010.
- "Turning the Tables Jenn Schefft, Andrew's Ex, Gives Love Another Try as TV's Newest Bachelorette". People. August 23, 2004. Retrieved March 15, 2012.
- "'Bachelor' star Brad Womack rejects both Jenni Croft, DeAnna Pappas". Reality TV World. November 20, 2007. Retrieved March 3, 2010.
- "A Second Shot at Love: Ali's the New Bachelorette!". Eonline.com. 2010-03-01. Retrieved 2013-08-03.
- "'The Bachelor' star Brad Womack picks Emily Maynard and proposes". Realitytvworld.com. 2011-03-15. Retrieved 2013-08-03.
- "Emily Maynard: 'Bachelor' star Brad Womack dumped me via phone". Realitytvworld.com. Retrieved 2013-08-03.
- Aaron Parsley and Monica Rizzo (January 19, 2012). "Emily Maynard Is the Next Bachelorette". Retrieved January 19, 2012.
- Beard, Lanford (2012-01-18). "Emily Maynard named next Bachelorette: Brilliant or bored now?". Popwatch.ew.com. Retrieved 2013-08-03.
- "'Bachelorette' will tape in Charlotte". The Charlotte Observer. January 19, 2012. Retrieved January 25, 2012.
- "'The Bachelorette' filming in North Carolina?". ksdk.com. 2012-03-13. Retrieved 2013-08-03.
- Oldenburg, Ann (March 11, 2013). "New 'Bachelorette,' 'Bachelor' TV wedding announced". USA Today. Retrieved March 15, 2013.
- Bricker, Tierney; Dos Santos, Kristin (February 25, 2014). "The Bachelor's Andi Dorfman Is the Frontrunner to Be the Next Bachelorette". E!. Retrieved February 28, 2014.
- "Over 30 million viewers tuned in to 'The Bachelorette' series finale". Reality TV World. February 20, 2003. Retrieved March 3, 2010.
- "'The Bachelorette' couple Trista and Ryan Sutter welcome first child". Reality TV World. July 28, 2007. Retrieved March 3, 2010.
- Posted on Apr 3, 09 at 6:20 pm (October 14, 2008). "Ryan and Trista Sutter Welcome Blakesley Grace – Celebrity Baby Blog – People.com". Celebrity-babies.com. Retrieved March 3, 2010.
- "'Bachelorette' Meredith Phillips chooses vagabond Ian McKee in ABC series finale". Reality TV World. February 26, 2004. Retrieved March 3, 2010.
- "'Bachelorette' couple Meredith Phillips and Ian McKee announce breakup". Reality TV World. Retrieved March 3, 2010.
- Last names per "Ex-'Bachelor' Andrew Firestone dishes on Jen Schefft, July wedding" by Christopher Rocchio, June 16, 2008
- "ABC's 'Bachelorette 3' ends with Jen Schefft rejecting both John Paul Merritt and selected suitor Jerry Ferris". Reality TV World. Retrieved March 3, 2010.
- "Jen Schefft Pregnant – Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart Baby Talk". National Ledger. May 15, 2010. Retrieved May 19, 2010.
- "Jen Schefft Welcomes Daughter Mae Elizabeth". People. November 15, 2010. Retrieved November 15, 2010.
- "Jen Schefft Welcomes Daughter Charlotte Grace". People. August 9, 2012. Retrieved August 9, 2012.
- "Bachelorette‘s DeAnna Pappas Splits with Jesse Csincsak". People. November 3, 2008. Retrieved February 15, 2014.
- Wang, Cynthia; Gray, Mark (August 29, 2010). "Jesse Csincsak and Ann Lueders Wed in Las Vegas". People. Retrieved January 23, 2011.
- Byrne, Alla (October 22, 2011). "DeAnna Pappas Weds Stephen Stagliano". People.
- Webber, Stephanie (February 7, 2014). "DeAnna Pappas, Former Bachelorette, Welcomes Baby Girl With Husband Stephen Stagliano". Us Weekly. Retrieved February 16, 2014.
- Bachelorette Jillian Harris & Ed Swiderski SPLIT: Breakup For Reality Couple Retrieved December 23, 2013
- Chen, Joyce (March 29, 2013). "Tenley Molzahn and Kiptyn Locke, Bachelor Pad Stars, Break Up". Us Weekly. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- ABC. "ABC Medianet". Retrieved April 15, 2011.
- "Sarah Richardson, Mike Holmes, Bryan Baeumler, Paul Lafrance and more| HGTV Canada". Hgtv.ca. Retrieved 2013-08-03.
- "WEDDING PHOTOS: Bachelorette Contestant John Presser Marries The Bachelor's Tara Durr". RadarOnline. November 9, 2010. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- Monica Rizzo (November 21, 2011). "Ali Fedotowsky and Roberto Martinez split". Retrieved November 21, 2011.
- Catriona Wightman (December 10, 2012). "'Bachelorette' Ali Fedotowsky, Roberto Martinez "just good friends"". Retrieved December 17, 2012.
- Cronin, Lindsay (October 16, 2013). "'The Bachelor' Star Elizabeth Kitt Is Engaged to Ty Brown". Gather. Retrieved October 16, 2013.
- 'Bachelorette' star Ashley Hebert weds J.P. Rosenbaum Retrieved December 2, 2012
- October 15, 2012, 4:11 PM (2012-10-15). ""Bachelorette" Ashley Hebert to air wedding on ABC". Cbsnews.com. Retrieved 2013-08-03.
- Beard, Lanford (2012-11-09). "'Bachelorette' Ashley Hebert's wedding will be televised". Insidetv.ew.com. Retrieved 2013-08-03.
- "Emily Maynard: 2014 Is Already the 'Best Year Ever!'". People. January 8, 2014. Retrieved January 27, 2014.
- "Emily Maynard Marries Tyler Johnson". People. June 7, 2014. Retrieved June 10, 2014.
- Jenna Mullins (February 27, 2013). "The Bachelorette: ABC Sets Premiere Date for New Season". Retrieved March 11, 2013.
- Andrea Reiher (March 11, 2013). "The next 'Bachelorette' is Desiree Hartsock". Retrieved March 11, 2013.
- Maresca, Rachel (March 11, 2014). "Andi Dorfman named the next star of 'The Bachelorette'". New York Daily News. Retrieved March 12, 2014.
- "Burlacita". Burlacita.a1.ro. Retrieved 2013-08-03.