The Bank (2001 film)
The Bank poster
|Directed by||Robert Connolly|
|Produced by||John Maynard|
|Written by||Robert Connolly|
|Music by||Alan John|
|Edited by||Nick Meyers|
|Distributed by||Madman Entertainment|
|Release dates||6 September 2001|
|Running time||106 minutes|
Jim Doyle (David Wenham) is a maverick mathematician who has devised a formula to predict the fluctuations of the stock market. When he joins O'Reilly's fold, he must first prove his loyalty to the "greed is good" ethos.
- David Wenham as Jim Doyle
- Anthony LaPaglia as Simon O'Reily
- Mitchell Butel as Stephen
- Kazuhiro Muroyama as Toshio
- Stephen Leeder as Billy
The Bank grossed $2,515,917 at the box office in Australia.
Reviews of the film were mixed. Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes scored The Bank at 65% from 36 professional reviews (average rating 5.8/10), but 45% from 11 "top critic" reviews (average rating 5.5/10). Australian film review site Urban Cinefile's three reviewers summarized the film as "favourable". The New York Times concluded "As far-fetched as the movie is ... conveys an engaging zest for upper-crust mischief. The two stories come together in the hurtling final lap as Wayne confronts Simon in his country house while Jim puts his perfected program into operation. The upshot is a whopper of an ending that is as silly as it is satisfying." The New York Post gave the film 1.5/4 stars, stating "Despite a crafty premise and a clever kink in the tale that almost saves it, Connolly isn't dexterous enough to achieve the Hitchockian level of suspense the movie needs."  The Los Angeles Times stated "Connolly might well have constructed a brisker, more exciting picture with more vivid and involving characters. As it is, the film takes too long to become truly compelling."
- "Bank, the". Madman.com.au. Retrieved 2013-11-28.
- "Australian Films at the Australian Box Office". Film Victoria. Archived from the original on 2011-02-18. Retrieved November 28, 2013.
- Andrew L. Urban, Louise Keller, Richard Kuipers. "Bank, The". Australia: Urban Cinefile. Retrieved 2013-11-28.
- Holden, Stephen (25 October 2002). "Film in Review; The Bank". New York Times. Retrieved 2013-11-28.
- Turner, Megan (25 October 2002). "The Bank". New York Post.
- Thomas, Kevin (3 January 2003). "Movie Review : The Bank has the chops, not the sizzle : The Australian film has a provocative premise, but it's short on color and is none too brisk.". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on 2003-02-09. Retrieved 28 November 2013.
- The Bank at the National Film and Sound Archive
- The Bank at the Internet Movie Database
- The Bank at Rotten Tomatoes
|This article related to an Australian film of the 2000s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a 2000s thriller film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|