|This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.
"The Bare Necessities" is a song, written by Terry Gilkyson, from the animated 1967 Disney film The Jungle Book, sung by Phil Harris as Baloo and Bruce Reitherman as Mowgli. Originally, it was written for an earlier draft of the movie that was never produced. The Sherman Brothers, who wrote the other songs of the film, kept this as the only song used from the previous version. A reprise of the song was sung by Sebastian Cabot as Bagheera and Phil Harris as Baloo at the end of the film. Van Dyke Parks worked on the arrangement, which was his first paid gig after moving to California. The song was also sung by Louis Armstrong. In 1967, "The Bare Necessities" was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Song. A hip-hop version of the song performed by Lou Rawls was used as the theme song for Jungle Cubs.
In other media
- In 1969, Alvin and the Chipmunks recorded this song for their album The Chipmunks Go to the Movies.
- In 1991, the song was covered by Harry Connick, Jr. for the Simply Mad About The Mouse an album and a TV Special.
- In 1991 The Bare Necessities Megamix, produced by Nigel Wright under the name of The UK Mixmasters reached number 14 in the UK Singles Chart.
- In 2005, Julie Andrews chose the song for her album "Julie Andrews Selects Her Favorite Disney Songs".
- Tituss Burgess performed the song for the BBC radio special "BBC Radio 2 Celebrates The Music of Disney".
- Bowling for Soup recorded this song for Disney's DisneyMania 3 Album.
- In the 1994 live-action Disney film Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book, Dr. Julius Plumford exclaims "The bare necessities of life!" in the ballroom scene.
- On the 5th episode of the 10th season of ABC's Dancing With The Stars, American footballer Chad Ochocinco and professional partner Cheryl Burke danced a quickstep to the song.
- Eliza Gilkyson, the daughter of the song's composer, Terry Gilkyson, performed the song on her live 2007 album, Your Town Tonight.
- Brian Wilson covered it on his album In the Key of Disney, which was released on October 25, 2011.
- From September 2011, the song has been used in adverts for supermarket chain Sainsbury's, promoting new slogan 'Live Well For Less'.
- Los Lobos covered this song in the album Los Lobos Goes Disney, released in 2009.
- The rap band That Handsome Devil covered this song and the entirety of The Jungle Book soundtrack on their free CD titled The Jungle Book
- The song is featured in the Disney 2013 stage musical directed by Mary Zimmerman and performed by Kevin Carolan as Baloo.
- On 13 June 2012, Hong Kong Disneyland opened Grizzly Gulch themed land, the gift stall in the land is called The Bear Necessities.
- ^ Official UK Charts - UK Mixmasters
- ^ "Largest themed area in expansion plan, Grizzly Gulch, debuts at Hong Kong Disneyland on July 14, 2012 Unique multidirectional terrain-style coaster provides unexpected runaway adventure". Hong Kong Disneyland. 13 June 2012.