The Bat (1926 film)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For other uses, see Bat (disambiguation).
|Directed by||Roland West|
|Produced by||Joseph M. Schenck
|Written by||Roland West
George Marion, Jr. (intertitles)
|Based on||The Bat
by Mary Roberts Rinehart and Avery Hopwood and the novel The Circular Staircase by Rinehart
|Distributed by||United Artists|
|Release date(s)||14 March 1926|
- George Beranger - Gideon Bell (billed as Andre de Beranger)
- Charles Herzinger - Courleigh Fleming
- Emily Fitzroy - Miss Cornelia Van Gorder
- Louise Fazenda - Lizzie Allen
- Arthur Housman - Richard Fleming (billed as Arthur Houseman)
- Robert McKim - Dr. Wells
- Jack Pickford - Brooks Bailey
- Jewel Carmen - Miss Dale Ogden
- Sojin Kamiyama - Billy, the Butler
- Tullio Carminati - Detective Moletti
- Eddie Gribbon - Detective Anderson
- Lee Shumway - The Unknown
Writer Cornelia Van Gorder (Fitzroy) rents a house for the summer. In the house, people search for hidden loot while a caped killer (nicknamed "The Bat") murders them one by one.
- Director Roland West remade his film four years later as The Bat Whispers (1930), with Chester Morris and Una Merkel, and also released by United Artists.
- A 1959 remake, The Bat, starring Vincent Price and Agnes Moorehead, was released by Allied Artists.
TV adaptations include:
- Broadway Television Theatre (1953) 60-minute TV series (WOR-TV, syndicated), with Estelle Winwood, Alice Pearce, and Jay Joslyn
- Dow Hour of Great Mysteries (1960) 60-minute NBC-TV series, with Helen Hayes, Margaret Hamilton, and Jason Robards.
- Der Spinnenmörder (1978) 88-minute German TV movie
Connection to Bob Kane's "Batman"
- The Haunting of Robert Kane!, dialbforblog.com, September 2007. Retrieved 9 November 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Bat (1926 film).|
- The Bat at the Internet Movie Database
- The Bat (1926) at SilentEra
- The Bat at the Internet Broadway Database
- The Bat is available for free download at the Internet Archive [more] (version with soundtrack)
- The Bat at AllMovie
- The Bat (1926) on YouTube
|This article about a silent film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a comedy horror film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|